Relocating to Munich from UK during COVID-19

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, 
I am currently in the UK and starting a new role with a company in Munich on the 1st July. The idea was to start off working remotely from the UK and then move over when things have settled a bit more (potentially August/September?!) I have received conflicting advice on whether this possible or not.

Does anyone know if one can start working without being registered first? I was told by the 'making-it-work-in-Germany' webchat advisor that I can start work and then my employer can apply for my tax ID and I would receive it in 2-3 days. Then other information that I read was that I have to register my address, apply for a tax ID and then give it to my employer. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I would think it is possible to work remotely from UK without having to sign/declare anything.

However, once you do decide to physically relocate to germany, then you will have to register etc.

I'm sure your firm's HR dept can advise on this!

On the assumption you will be paid as an employee (from Germany), not self employed, for the time you will be working remotely, I believe it will be down to your employer to handle the German tax, social security/pension etc paper work. Not at all sure though how the health insurance would work or indeed how you can avoid income tax in both countries bearing in mind you would be employed in one country while resident in another.

Sorry but I think you need an expert.:unsure:

I think the safest way to do this would be to employ you on a temporary contract through an international payroll company until you've moved to Germany.

Otherwise, you may have problems with your health insurance in both countries.     To be insured for health in Germany, you need to have submitted a P85 form to HMRC stating what day you left the UK so you're no longer insured by the NHS.    Then your employer needs to register you with a state or private insurance company of your choice ( state insurance is recommended).