health insurance - urgent

28 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, paulwork said:

@LordByron why does a non-taxation company like the IKK need to know about your tax affairs outside Germany?

The issue is not tax affairs per se, but rather where the OP was legally resident in order to either determine eligibility for public health insurance or the need for back payments.

Considering all the freeloading Brits who try to have their cake and eat it too, I think it is important that the Kassen ask these questions. 

7 minutes ago, engelchen said:

The issue is not tax affairs per se, but rather where the OP was legally resident in order to either determine eligibility for public health insurance or the need for back payments.

Considering all the freeloading Brits who try to have their cake and eat it too, I think it is important that the Kassen ask these questions. 

What does this mean/entail exactly? Why would IKK need back payments? Doesn't the cover just commence when you apply for it? This is what happened in our case, though not with IKK.

Just now, lunaCH said:

What does this mean/entail exactly? Why would IKK need back payments? Doesn't the cover just commence when you apply for it? This is what happened in our case, though not with IKK.

It depends on the exact circumstances, however, everyone resident in Germany is required to have health insurance and if the OP moved here months before starting his new job, he might be liable for back payments. On the other hand, if he has been here more than 3 months he would not be eligible for voluntary public insurance at all. The devil is in the details (and he hasn't provided any). 

Use the search function. This issue has been discussed many times before.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

It depends on the exact circumstances, however, everyone resident in Germany is required to have health insurance and if the OP moved here months before starting his new job, he might be liable for back payments. On the other hand, if he has been here more than 3 months he would not be eligible for voluntary public insurance at all. The devil is in the details (and he hasn't provided any).

It may be compulsory, but it's not enforced. If you don't take it out, you don't have it until you do. My partner did the Anmeldung 8 months before I did and for those 8 months did not take out insurance. We took it out together when I did my Anmeldung. Nothing was charged for the 8 months my partner was here with no cover. They did think it odd that there hadn't been previous cover, but I pointed out that about 1 million people in Germany were in the same situation and then nothing more was said...

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

It may be compulsory, but it's not enforced. If you don't take it out, you don't have it until you do. My partner did the Anmeldung 8 months before I did and for those 8 months did not take out insurance. We took it out together when I did my Anmeldung. Nothing was charged for the 8 months my partner was here with no cover. They did think it odd that there hadn't been previous cover, but I pointed out that about 1 million people in Germany were in the same situation and then nothing more was said...

His Kasse made a huge mistake, which could come back to haunt him if they catch it in time. The laws for both eligibility and back payments are in SGB V. 

Hello to everybody who replied to my recent mail concerning health insurance.

And a very big shout  out to the one and only John G. Without his help and advice and guidance, I would still be panicking and looking over my shoulder.

So once again, thank you John for all the time and effort you put in helping me.

Just for clarification because some TT posters took their time to post their advice and comments- the case was about an unjustified and unjustifiable demand for backpayments from public insurer A when LordByron had later managed to get family insurance through public insurer B. 
Public insurer A were stupid with their bureaucracy and have deservedly not gained the poster as their client.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

And to add more clarification, @john g. is an honest insurance broker who obviously helped the OP for free - assisting them with public health insurance means he did not earn a cent off them. Just saying.