Is there an extension on returning Germany for German residence permit holders during COVID-19?

11 posts in this topic

Dear Users,

I hold a German Residence Permit (aufenthaltstitel) which is valid until 2022. Unfortunately before starting of COVID-19 pandemic, I came back to my home-origin and after that due to lock-down I could not return Germany within 6 months. My last date or return was 20th April, before that I had wrote to Auslaenderbehoerde describing my situation and asked for their suggestion. They asked me to contact with the local German Embassy, and the local German Embassy asked me to talk with Auslaenderbehoerde. I wrote a lot lot emails to both of the office, but still the situation is same. Nobody actually give me any solution what should I do now to return Germany.

I read that for the foreigners living inside Germany, the government gave  extension period. Now for cases like mine, where I am outside of Germany, is it also possible having an extension of returning Germany? I need to return to my job really. I need your suggestions.

Kind regards,

B.M

I am not an expert but in a similar situation.

I think here is the relevant link. This information is for Berlin (but surely it will apply for all of Germany? Although it does specify the Berlin Immigration Office, so it is worth checking with your local one, which should have similar information although possibly not in English like the Berlin one)

https://www.berlin.de/einwanderung/aufenthalt/artikel.910213.en.php

And the relevant section:

I live in Berlin but am currently abroad and cannot travel back to the city at the moment owing to the travel restrictions because of the pandemic outbreak. I know that my temporary residence permit in principle lapses if I stay abroad continuously for longer than six months (Section 51 (1 No 7) Residency Act). What should I do?

• On 24th March 2020 Berlin Immigration Office issued a general decree which was extended on 19th May 2020. This stipulates that certain people will be granted an extended period of absence prior to re-entry without the need to undertake anything.
  • If you left Germany between 18.09.2019 and 17.03.2020 at the latest and have not yet returned to the federal territory, the 6-month period will be extended until 30.09.2020. This means that your residence permit will not expire in these cases even if you stay abroad for more than 6 months.
  • Please bear in mind that this rule only applies if your residency permit does not expire between 18th March 2020 and 30th September 2020.
  • The rule does not apply if your residency permit expired prior to 18th March 2020 owing to a stay outside the country in excess of six months.
  • In both these scenarios you would please need to get in touch with the German embassy or consulate in the region where you currently find yourself and apply there for a re-entry visa for your intended purpose. For this you will require your passport and your existing residency permit. In addition you can get in touch with our department B 4 by email. We will process your request as quickly as possible and where appropriate send a preliminary approval confirmation to the responsible mission abroad.
  • You can find a list of German representations abroad at the following link: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/ReiseUndSicherheit/deutsche-auslandsvertretungen

I think this should help your case - it suggests that your 6-month period will be elongated until 30th of September. It looks like this happens automatically "without the need to unddertake anything".

1 hour ago, vegemitejar said:

I am not an expert but in a similar situation.

Since you obviously have no clue about what you are talking about, it would be better to refrain from posting. :angry:

1 hour ago, vegemitejar said:

I think here is the relevant link. This information is for Berlin (but surely it will apply for all of Germany?

Germany is a federal country and the Allgemeinverfügungen issued by Land Berlin are only valid in Land Berlin. Other states have issued their own decrees and since the OP doesn't live in Berlin, Berlin's decrees have nothing to do with him.

@bimohan please note that @vegemitejar is suffering from a severe case of moronovirus. For your own sake check out the rules for your city. 

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/387153-stop-the-spread-of-moronavirus-on-Toytown/?page=1

Seems a little over-the-top, since I clearly advertised that I am not an expert, and that the rules may be different for different parts of Germany, as you suggest (expertly?)

There may be someone else in a similar situation reading who finds that useful, or possibly the OP is actually living in Berlin. This is especially possible since it is in the 'Berlin' section of Toytown, (but the OP did not specify this, so I did not assume).

Thanks anyway for your useful contribution to the discussion. If you attack me personally again, I will flag the post. But hey, if it was a joke, be free to let us know.

...think you have me confused with someone spreading disinformation, rather than someone 1) clearly advertising they are not an expert, 2) linking someone to possibly the relevant information from possibly the relevant authority, and 3) engaging in some (clearly-labelled) speculation extending that point.

No to personal attacks. I realise there is a lot of disinformation at the moment around COVID-19 and in general. My post does not fall into that category - possibly its a lazy assumption and lazy wording, but then again, as I clearly state, I am not an expert and have therefore no authority on visa issues. My post was attempting to help someone who is in a similar situation to me, as I am doing similar research at the moment. I wrote that on the damn label  as the opening sentence - don't know how I can be clearer.

On 30/05/2020, 04:52:06, vegemitejar said:

I think here is the relevant link. This information is for Berlin (but surely it will apply for all of Germany?

20 minutes ago, vegemitejar said:

...think you have me confused with someone spreading disinformation

No, you are most definitely spreading false information. 

I realise there is a lot of disinformation at the moment around COVID-19 and in general.

To which you are contributing.

My post does not fall into that category - possibly its a lazy assumption and lazy wording

There are supposedly thousands of daily guest visitors who read here without posting and who knows how many you managed to infect. 

My post was attempting to help someone who is in a similar situation to me, as I am doing similar research at the moment.

How would you like it if you had taken advice given by someone like you that results in being denied boarding at the gate because the airline is not convinced that your permit is still valid?

Yes, thanks to people like you it does happen.

I wrote that on the damn label  as the opening sentence - don't know how I can be clearer.

Easy don't post on topics on which you are completely ignorant. 

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. 

Not super happy to turn someone's post looking for information about visa extensions into an absurd authority contest, so I am brief.

I propose to you that your positions are counter-productive, and you should reconsider how you conduct yourself in public forums. There are other ways to correct someone than personal attacks etc.

Quickly:

"How would you like it if you had taken advice given by someone like you that results in being denied boarding at the gate because the airline is not convinced that your permit is still valid? "

I would not like it if someone was prevented from boarding after reading advice from a user who clearly states they are a non-expert on an internet forum, no. On the other hand, if someone used what I wrote as guidance for their own investigation of authoritative sources, did their own research, as OP is clearly doing, and then made their own decision, I would have to be comfortable with that. That's not to say 'you're on your own, believe whatever you want' - this is why my framing was important, and why you are accusing me of something I actually took steps to prevent, which is a bit frustrating. You have, for example, repeated two points against me which are actually included as caveats in my original post, before implying that I am a moron.

You seem determined to be right no matter what - so for the sake of the OP at least, let's just leave it at that please, rather than continually provoking me into justifying myself - boring for everyone and off-topic.

"I think here is the relevant link. This information is for Berlin (but surely it will apply for all of Germany? "

Which part of this sentence is "false information" to you? Is it the first part - a proposal? The second - a statement containing correct information? Or the third part in brackets - a speculative question?

I am not "completely ignorant" about visa issues, I am a user of the system in a similar situation to OP, a non-expert, both of which I communicated in the original post.

Frustrating.

On 31/05/2020, 12:52:09, vegemitejar said:

I am not "completely ignorant" about visa issues, I am a user of the system in a similar situation to OP, a non-expert, both of which I communicated in the original post.

The blind leading the blind.

On 31/05/2020, 12:52:09, vegemitejar said:

Frustrating.

Extremely. I'm not only a user of the system, but have also taken a few professional development seminars in the area (better investment than hiring a lawyer), which is why I find ignorant users such as yourself extremely frustrating (and why I've drastically cut back on answering questions regarding permits on TT). 

On 31/05/2020, 12:25:10, vegemitejar said:

I propose to you that your positions are counter-productive, and you should reconsider how you conduct yourself in public forums. There are other ways to correct someone than personal attacks etc.

Why would ever take advice from someone like you? 

I didn't want to waste anymore time replying to you, but I read an interesting article that also wanted to link here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-52731624

@engelchen Why not waste time on "someone like me"? Though I may not be an expert on visa issues, I do have expertise on fake news and false information, which you seem interested in, from a journalism background. That's why I am able to clearly lay out where your accusations are wrong, also identify ad hominem attacks, where you ignore points not convenient to your argument, where you bait and provoke me, how you construct yourself as an authority on truth, etc. All of which does not make me great... I regret that we went down this road, so you and I share that.

My original post was flawed and a little lazy - I acknowledge that. Great that you are able to comment here using some expert knowledge on visa issues - my only proposal is that you do it a bit differently than your approach has shown here. Positive and productive conversations on online forums are also possible, where information is clearly labelled and discussion is open and generous.

Yep... there sure is a lot of fake news around from sources pretending to be authoritative... I am studying that closely because it is my field. I agree they are very dangerous. I could link a few more articles like that BBC one, but it's not really relevant to OP's post. I understand your concern, even as I am objecting to how you have chosen to express that concern here.

Guys! Please help. I used to live in Darmstadt, Hessen. @vegemitejar has a point. I left Germany on 20th October, 2019 and 20th April, 2020 was my 6 months. Since February,2020 I am  writing to Ausländerbehörde darmstadt and then my local German Embassy.  Ausländerbehörde asking me to contact the local Embassy, and local Embassy asking me to contact with Ausländerbehörde. In between these two, it is 5 months now, I could not return to Germany. I am about to lose my job I guess. Finally I thought to bring it in the forum if someone else has the worst situation like mine. Please help if you have any information about it.