Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin restaurants reopen

74 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, catjones said:

Like JC Penny, Neiman Marcus, J. Crew, the parent company behind upscale menswear brand John Varvatos?  They were "favored" as they head into bankruptcy?

Those are clothing stores.   "Big box"  means not only a large store, but also a one-stop-shop.   

Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Target, Amazon.    Those places have done very well while small businesses have been hammered.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

so, back on topic, for the people who ventured out to a restaurant or cafe, is it true that you're not allowed to use their toilet? 

At a bar on the Spree across from Friedrichstraße station, the person i was with used the restroom last Friday afternoon. 

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

And, out of pure curiosity, do the wait staff really stand two meters away from you and talk through their mask to you while taking your order?

Yes - close.   And the waitress was glad to see us and the other customers - very friendly and talkative. 

Our favourite cafe with seating places ( food and drink at seats or to take away ) still isn‘t open in our nearest town.

We walked past today.

Pre-corona, my partner  Nicole went to the ladies room once  and saw one of the waitresses come out of the toilet and back to serving customers - without having washed her hands.

So it‘s not only toilets and wash basins etc that count but do restaurant employees AND customers use the washing facilities? Many places here sometimes lack handsoap etc.

Or quite a few leave the toilet without washing their hands. I see this all the time in the men‘s rooms as well.🙁

By the way, I have been to my eye doc in town every month at least for a couple of years. Clean waiting room and , since corona started , handspraying and masks etc.

He has a toilet for patients having to wait. Clean -yes - but no toilet paper or soap... ever.

Unbelievable.

Depends on corona, fraufruit! The best laid schemes o‘ mice an‘ men / Gang aft a-gley🙁

Is there still a ban on traveling from Greece to Germany?

We just found out today that somehow Germany got left out of the permission to travel to Slovenia. Not sure what happened. We are dying to go.

Yes, till 1st July, as far as I know. My Nicole has a flight to Hamburg sometime in July ( together with dog Roza!) to visit her son and his partner- Nicole is looking forward to becoming a grandmother in July! Whether she will see the baby within the first week or two after the birth will depend on the quarantine  rules, of course!

I will stay here to do the stray dog and cat rounds on my own!😟😂 In the blazing heat!🐕😜😢😟

If you are moving back, why doesn't she just stay and you follow? Surely you don't want Roza flying hin und zuruck. That is traumatizing. 

Because of corona! Selling our house delayed. No property movement here right now. Business in real estate closed, basically. Looking at places in Hamburg delayed.

I have nowhere to stay in Hamburg during that process. Nicole has family place to stay at.

Our office here has to continue during all this corona process. I can’t go with her- wouldn’t be allowed back here at the moment under Greek rules.

Roza is an old dog- traumatised without Nicole. She gets depressed without her. Nicole will definitely be away for a couple of months. Too long for Roza... she knows who her mother is!💋

And someone has to look after the house- important stuff- watering the silly plants, feeding and watering the unwanted cats and dogs and all the rest of it. Especially those living around and partially in the stinking rubbish containers in and around the village.

3 hours ago, catjones said:

I don't go to restaurants to eat (I can do that at home). 

Ah!  The old liquid lunch, eh! <wink wink

Be careful, hellfire!:lol:

I don’t know you from Adam and I don’t know your age ( though you are possibly over 23 or so.. give or take a month ) but the old liquid lunch- sigh, very 80s and Wall Street and London and ( erm, me.. important exam in the morning in London- good grade. Hour later after a liquid lunch and second part of the exam.. highest grade. True story. )

Couldn’t “ get away with that “ now! I would fall asleep rather than get a top grade!😂

I hope enough Berlin restaurants and elsewhere open up soon and it is not only corona which is a hassle. Hygiene in general in public places. Punters and employees at eateries and drinkeries / wash your bloody hands after going to the loo. It is not only corona which is a danger.

40 minutes ago, john g. said:

Because of corona! Selling our house delayed. No property movement here right now. Business in real estate closed, basically. Looking at places in Hamburg delayed.

I have nowhere to stay in Hamburg during that process. Nicole has family place to stay at.

Our office here has to continue during all this corona process. I can’t go with her- wouldn’t be allowed back here at the moment under Greek rules.

Roza is an old dog- traumatised without Nicole. She gets depressed without her. Nicole will definitely be away for a couple of months. Too long for Roza... she knows who her mother is!💋

And someone has to look after the house- important stuff- watering the silly plants, feeding and watering the unwanted cats and dogs and all the rest of it. Especially those living around and partially in the stinking rubbish containers in and around the village.

Thanks for the explanation johng even though you didn't owe me one. I thought you were renting in Crete - didn't know you need to sell your house. 

Sorry Nicole will be away for so long. Maybe you get a buyer and she finds something in Hamburg while there. One can hope.

No worries, fraufruit!

Yes, our lives are affected by corona and lockdown and stuff. The way it is.

And, in a way, we HATE this stuff with the cats and dogs ( and Martin, the possibly blind cat we are hoping medication in his tuna fish will help because maybe it is curable- maybe.. and will talk to the vet next week. We went three times to his garbage container today but he wasn’t there🙁 ).

We would LOVE a more caring attitude here re the strays or non-strays... but anyway.

And corona goes on.. but not only for us humans..cats and dogs have their own AIDS equivalents..

12 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

The rules about essential and non essential sales were, as typical in the US, applied differently in different places.  And non essentials could be purchased online from big box retailers such as WalMart, Costco, and Target even when in store departments were closed off to the public.  Even big box craft stores such as Hobby Lobby and Michaels were often allowed to remain open.

.Where I am currently in CA, Walmart and Target have remained open. You can buy electronics and clothes as well as food.