Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin restaurants reopen

74 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, engelchen said:

You ate it out of the tray? Seriously? 

If you are going to get good take out, serve the food on to a real plate and use real cutlery.  

What a load of pretentious claptrap, engelchen! 

So she sat with it on her knee and watched the telly.

Big fucking deal. 

I suppose you would have lit the candles on the chandelier and got the family silver out! 

At the end of the day it all goes down the same way! 

Down the toilet! 

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

Oh, no, honey. I have no intention of answering your attempt to change the subject. You knew that! I never answer disingenuous questions. Ask anyone.

Hahahaha!

Ask anyone? 

Are you for real? 

What a ridiculous thing to write! 

p.s. Owned by John. G!

I said he was a rascal!

:lol:

9 hours ago, Krieg said:

But truth is poor people need income, there is little unemployment welfare in South America or nothing at all.  Half of the population have informal jobs and they live from the day to day.  Being at home for one and a half month without an income has been a big toll and people are angry about it and the patience is running out.

In Germany, small biz owners which need to be physically present and people who need to work do not have the luxury of relying on ALG and home office policies.

I know two people in Germany who are at risk to lose small family businesses built up over generations.   

In some countries, e.g. the US, so called "big box" retailers like Walmart and Costco comparable to Real and Metro in Germany, have been allowed to stay open while small businesses have been forced to stay closed.

The risks for a small business owner and a corporate drone are absolutely different.   No surprise that their views on opening are different as well. 

The more the economy shuts down, the greater the advantage for bigger businesses.  Restriction is absolutely corporatist.    

52 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Small business owners have been receiving Soforthilfe.. Do you have some inside information that they haven't? 

They have told me their rent and I can guess their payroll and other operating costs.  

Talk to small biz owners who don't sell groceries and you might find that they are worried. 

21 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We have to use real cutlery - they don't do plastic forks in Germany. We eat out of the trays if they are robust enough. Less dishes to deal with. B)

Yup, that’s exactly why we did it.

21 hours ago, engelchen said:

You ate it out of the tray? Seriously? 

If you are going to get good take out, serve the food on to a real plate and use real cutlery.  

Ha! You try getting the china out with a newborn that seems to be ready to eat every time you’re just about to eat and let me know how that goes.

2 hours ago, balticus said:

In Germany, small biz owners which need to be physically present and people who need to work do not have the luxury of relying on ALG and home office policies.

Are you seriously comparing the social support from Germany with the one in South America and concluding that the Germans have it bad?

2 hours ago, balticus said:

I know two people in Germany who are at risk to lose small family businesses built up over generations. 

I thought you supported the Free Markets.   So you want now more and more bail outs?  Or you think "the economy" should just open and let die whoever has to die?

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

Are you seriously comparing the social support from Germany with the one in South America and concluding that the Germans have it bad?

Independent of country, people who do not have a safety net and whose survival depends on the continued operation of their business or continued employment may see have a different perception of risk than you do.

Or you think "the economy" should just open and let die whoever has to die?

That is a false dichotomy.    There are several positions between complete openness and unnecessarily restrictive lockdown which might have been less damaging. 

14 hours ago, Krieg said:

But at the moment the left wingers are mostly pro-quarantine and the right winger population is anti-quarantine.  The

I have an explanation for that but this will divert the topic a lot.

21 hours ago, AlexTr said:

From an American perspective, calling having your rent and utilities paid -- while getting something over that for daily expenses -- poverty is a rich man's idea of what it means to be poor.

Zero welfare net in the US means that people are even more dependent on jobs there than here.

21 hours ago, AlexTr said:

This is the rainy day for which governments -- like Germany's -- that have a thousand yard stare have been preparing. This is why some governments plan.

The shortest joke ever: German government plans.

If government did plan anything this collapse of economy could have been avoided. Taiwan did have plan for pandemics as well as Hong Kong. Despite being close to China (mainland) the desease was taken under control from the beginning.

Free tests, free healthcare, price cap on face masks and export ban - this is what helped a lot. Not totalitarian PRC way which imprisoned those who warned about the virus earlier, and then did a full lockdown when it was too late.

8 hours ago, balticus said:

n some countries, e.g. the US, so called "big box" retailers like Walmart and Costco comparable to Real and Metro in Germany, have been allowed to stay open while small businesses have been forced to stay closed.

I believe the segregation was between essential and non-essential.  My "small" hardware store remained open, but the pet salon was closed.  No country had a vetted plan to put into place should a pandemic hit.

3 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Zero welfare net in the US means that people are even more dependent on jobs there than here.

Are you referring to unemployed insurance, furloughed but paid health insurance, food stamps, private charities, government $1200 payments, rent /mortgage/ deferment plans, federal/state tax extensions, etc?  Those zero welfare nets?

15 hours ago, catjones said:

I believe the segregation was between essential and non-essential.  My "small" hardware store remained open, but the pet salon was closed.  No country had a vetted plan to put into place should a pandemic hit.

Given the fluidity and novelty of the situation, the state and local governments should have been more flexible in modifying their restrictions when it became obvious that the rules favored large, corporate, "big box" retailers.   

Smearing small business owners and the self employed as "greedy", "right-wing", "populist", and "anti-Science" for criticizing bad policy is counter-productive.

8 hours ago, balticus said:

the rules favored large, corporate, "big box" retailers.   

Like JC Penny, Neiman Marcus, J. Crew, the parent company behind upscale menswear brand John Varvatos?  They were "favored" as they head into bankruptcy?

The big box retailers were only allowed to sell essential items like groceries just like the smaller grocery stores that stayed open.

The rules about essential and non essential sales were, as typical in the US, applied differently in different places.  And non essentials could be purchased online from big box retailers such as WalMart, Costco, and Target even when in store departments were closed off to the public.  Even big box craft stores such as Hobby Lobby and Michaels were often allowed to remain open.

so, back on topic, for the people who ventured out to a restaurant or cafe, is it true that you're not allowed to use their toilet?  

And, out of pure curiosity, do the wait staff really stand two meters away from you and talk through their mask to you while taking your order?

If you've done a coronalunch, would you consider it having been worth it?  Will you do it again?

I'm afraid the photos I've seen of people being served by staff wearing masks and gloves and being all spread out kind of put me off it even more.  If it's true that you're not allowed to use their toilet, I think that about seals it for me.

6 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

If it's true that you're not allowed to use their toilet, I think that about seals it for me.

It's not as it was...anywhere.  Adaptation is necessary to live with this and future viruses. What is today will not be tomorrow.  I don't go to restaurants to eat (I can do that at home).  I go to restaurants to support their livelihood in hopes that they will stay in business and recover as best as can be expected.  Without our support, you may lose the toilet and the restaurant it's in.

@catjones soooo... can you answer my questions, or not?  (That's rhetorical, I know the answer already.)

Note that I'm not asking about how things are where you live or your laudable support for your local business.  I actually really specifically want to know about the setup here in Germany.  Even better, here in Berlin.

The toilets in my neighborhood were open even when it was only takeout...?

last I read (a few days ago), the rule was that you have to wear a mask when visiting the toilet. Which also wasn’t enforced at the restaurant I visited last week. But the toilets were definitely open. 

AFAIK, at least in Bavaria, a restaurant must have a toilet when they have seating. Steh Cafes do not. 

In many restaurants, staff use the same toilets especially in fast food places like Mickey D's. Or used to be.

No toilet - no hand wash.