Berlin restaurants reopen

74 posts in this topic

The food was good, but it just wasn’t the same. The restaurant has a great ambiance, and the food presentation is excellent. So to be eating at home in our living room with the food in an aluminum tray, just about killed everything.

You ate it out of the tray? Seriously? 

If you are going to get good take out, serve the food on to a real plate and use real cutlery.  

3 hours ago, AlexTr said:

No economy is halted. Stocks are still being traded. People are still working. Groceries are being bought and people are still having items delivered.

If you close eyes that doesn't mean nothing is happening.

3 hours ago, AlexTr said:

In most countries, service sector workers are receiving unemployment and other subsidies.

This is why I am not left wing: I don't understand why being left automatically means denial of basics of economics.

Government benefits come from taxes which businesses and workers are paying. When the governments forces business bankruptcies and loss of jobs, this is the governments which is going to go broke. Of course, this will not happen tomorrow or in a month. But it might happen this year, and then the healthcare system will collapse, too, as people stop paying insurance premiums. 

And as for now, ALGII if you work in service industry and get minimum wage, basically puts you into poverty.

I don't know how old are you, but the 2008/2009 world crisis happened over way minor issue, and it was really, really bad back then. Maybe you are rich enough to not noticed it, but back then my monthly wage dropped from 400 USD to 300 USD, and I was very lucky to have a job (and ability to survive on 300 USD) back then.

You cannot halt the economy indefinitely. Actually, you should not at all. There are other ways to combat the virus.

1 minute ago, yourkeau said:

You cannot halt the economy indefinitely. Actually, you should not at all. There are other ways to combat the virus.

Again the economy has not come to a complete halt.

Read the replies in this thread. Although restaurants are allowed to open, many people (myself included) are not interested in sitting down inside a restaurant.  Stores are also allowed to open as well.

What more do you want? Do you really think that huge concerts in large stadiums are a good idea?!? 

3 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Again the economy has not come to a complete halt.

A contraction of 25% is a depression.    Why fixate on "complete" when far less than a complete halt is catastrophic?  

15 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I don't know how old are you, but the 2008/2009 world crisis happened over way minor issue

Actually, that's not at all true and the not "way minor issue" is happening again.

I don't know how old are you

I am old enough to have been aware of how the US interfered with the Iranian revolution, endured the AIDS epidemic watching so many die and the callousness of the GOP and Reagan to the suffering, and lived through three recessions. Older than you think and more agile than I should be.

And as for now, ALGII if you work in service industry and get minimum wage, basically puts you into poverty.

From an American perspective, calling having your rent and utilities paid -- while getting something over that for daily expenses -- poverty is a rich man's idea of what it means to be poor.

Government benefits come from taxes which businesses and workers are paying. When the governments forces business bankruptcies and loss of jobs, this is the governments which is going to go broke. Of course, this will not happen tomorrow or in a month. But it might happen this year, and then the healthcare system will collapse, too, as people stop paying insurance premiums. 

This is the rainy day for which governments -- like Germany's -- that have a thousand yard stare have been preparing. This is why governments plan. Even my neighbor, who is a forklift operator and has spent most of the last two years unemployed, is happy because he has found work and he is looking at a bigger place. 

Just now, BradinBayern said:

Interesting article.  I wondered when this would happen again since nothing at all has changed since 2008/2009.  Another "trust us, it won't happen again" from Wall Street.  

I could not be more grateful that I am not in the real estate market right now.

My SIL in suburban NYC is a realtor.  She just closed a major sale (to my surprise), and apparently so many people have rented outside of the city to escape that both the rental and sale prices in suburban areas are now rising.  All these NYC folks decided they like living outside of the city.  I think things will just shift.  

9 hours ago, AlexTr said:

No economy is halted. Stocks are still being traded. People are still working. Groceries are being bought and people are still having items delivered.

In most countries, service sector workers are receiving unemployment and other subsidies. The idea that the economy is halted is actually a misstatement of the 1%'s complaint that their dividends and profits have been curtailed. The drive to "get people back to work no matter what" in the US is founded on the fact that the conservatives don't want people to realize that having health insurance connected to employment is a failed concept.

The battle cry that "we must restart the economy" is really all about "Quick! Get them back to work making profits for us before they realize we set this thing up like a house of cards."

I think you are partly on the ball here.. but only partly. When you say „ in most countries.. service sector workers are receiving...etc“- that is true in developed countries but for a huge proportion of the world, this isn‘t happening. India? China? Poorer economies of Latin America and Africa?

Oh, and „ get them back to work making profits for us before they realize we SET THIS THING UP like a house of cards.“

May be true in some cases but does that not sound like you have made your own conspiracy theory on here?

And please tell us how the Reopen protests are going in those countries to elaborate on your point, if you will.

4 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

And please tell us how the Reopen protests are going in those countries to elaborate on your point, if you will.

In the few (third world countries) I have knowledge about the current situation there are not yet major protests but there is lot of discomfort and unhappiness with the quarantines.   There are no big protests yet not because people do not want to protest but because freedoms are not the same as in the first world and the governments have been quite strong about keeping the quarantine (read Police and Army beating the sh*t of people).   Another thing is that normally the people who protest the most are left wing oriented and South America just had a bunch of giant protests in 2019 in several countries against the current right wing governments, the ones who were shown the most on international news were the massive protests in Chile.  But at the moment the left wingers are mostly pro-quarantine and the right winger population is anti-quarantine.  The right wing governments, which are pro-economy, did strict quarantines either because of pressure or because they were scared about the unknown and making a big failure or looking like an idiot (similar to Trump actions).

But truth is poor people need income, there is little unemployment welfare in South America or nothing at all.  Half of the population have informal jobs and they live from the day to day.  Being at home for one and a half month without an income has been a big toll and people are angry about it and the patience is running out.

Alex- Krieg has beaten me to it.https://www.scmp.com/video/coronavirus/3080266/migrant-workers-protest-against-extension-indias-nationwide-coronavirus

But anyway- I doubt you have ever lived in a poor non- First World country.

Secondly, you have not answered my questions about your own conspiracy theory and the point you made about MOST employees are protected by income protection schemes by their Governments.

You are in an academic bubble and just wrong. Your HEART is right, I truly believe that, but your MIND is wrong...

54 minutes ago, Krieg said:

In the few (third world countries) I have knowledge about the current situation there are not yet major protests but there is lot of discomfort and unhappiness with the quarantines.   There are no big protests yet not because people do not want to protest but because freedoms are not the same as in the first world and the governments have been quite strong about keeping the quarantine (read Police and Army beating the sh*t of people).   Another thing is that normally the people who protest the most are left wing oriented and South America just had a bunch of giant protests in 2019 in several countries against the current right wing governments, the ones who were shown the most on international news were the massive protests in Chile.  But at the moment the left wingers are mostly pro-quarantine and the right winger population is anti-quarantine.  The right wing governments, which are pro-economy, did strict quarantines either because of pressure or because they were scared about the unknown and making a big failure or looking like an idiot (similar to Trump actions).

But truth is poor people need income, there is little unemployment welfare in South America or nothing at all.  Half of the population have informal jobs and they live from the day to day.  Being at home for one and a half month without an income has been a big toll and people are angry about it and the patience is running out.

A truly fine post. Spot on, Krieg.

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

Secondly, you have not answered my questions about your own conspiracy theory and the point you made about MOST employees are protected by income protection schemes by their Governments.

You are in an academic bubble and just wrong. Your HEART is right, I truly believe that, but your MIND is wrong...

Oh, no, honey. I have no intention of answering your attempt to change the subject. You knew that! I never answer disingenuous questions. Ask anyone.

Why am I changing the subject, in your opinion? I have given my opinion. Do poor countries offer their employees support? Are people there allowed to protest? Have you ever lived in a Third World country?

I am not asking „ anyone“.. I am asking YOU!🙏🏻

No need to be disingenuous!😂

Oh, and Krieg‘s post is excellent. Any opinions?

Take your time, by the way! First World problems are easier to solve than mass poverty outside the First World academic bubble.

This is, basically and in general, an Anglo-American forum, is it not? With exceptions.