Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin restaurants reopen

74 posts in this topic

So last Friday some places started to re-open for business. Part of me wants to support our favourite locals, but part of me still hesitates to sit at a table in an enclosed space with others, even with all the distancing measures.

Has anyone taken the leap? Thoughts?

There has been a few attempts to simulate how easily viruses could be passed inside restaurants and I won't be sitting down in one for a while. 

On the hand, I'm sure many restaurants can understand this and be even more willing to give you your favourite meal to go.

9 minutes ago, engelchen said:

On the hand, I'm sure many restaurants can understand this and be even more willing to give you your favourite meal to go.

Yeah, but it's not the same, is it! 

If the restaurant sent a waiter to my house and then got him to hover around while I ate, occasionally topping up my beer, then I would definitely order more posh food. 

And who's doing the dishes!

I'm not washing up so they can damn well send the kitchen boy, too. 

Yeah, the restaurant can come to me! 

29 minutes ago, john_b said:

Has anyone taken the leap? Thoughts?

You're not gonna feel comfy, mate. 

Imagine you are there and some bloke starts choking on a fish bone or a turkey leg.  

You're hardly gonna give him the old Heimlich maneuver, are you! 

You'd think he had a dose of the Covids and would be out the door like a shot! 

I walked past a few restaurants yesterday and they were packed, not distanced, and queues outside with people waiting to get in (also not distancing and not wearing masks). I’m definitely not going anytime soon.

I went out on Friday and have decided to not do this again for a while. Only agreed to go because I knew the restaurant would be empty.

Still the hygiene rules make no sense/weren’t followed. No disinfectant at the door. Our waiter kept pulling off his mask in order to talk with us, and he kept the same gloves on for the entire time, serving and picking up dishes (and cash) from the three tables. All I could think about was the Japanese blacklight virus-spreading video that’s been circulating in the news the past few days. 

Tomorrow, the beergardens reopen in Bavaria. I will have a whole table to myself. Yeah!

I saw an article yesterday where a nice restaurant had placed mannequins complete with place settings at the tables to reinforce distancing.

Opening not just in Berlin...McD seating indoors is opening in my neck of the woods. I liked it far better as just a 'to go' place actually. I had dreams that it would stay so and we'd just sell off the rest of the unused building. Dream on!

3 hours ago, engelchen said:

There has been a few attempts to simulate how easily viruses could be passed inside restaurants and I won't be sitting down in one for a while. 

One of our favorite restaurants got on Lieferando a few days ago (they didn’t deliver before COVID-19), and we decided to try it. The food was good, but it just wasn’t the same. The restaurant has a great ambiance, and the food presentation is excellent. So to be eating at home in our living room with the food in an aluminum tray, just about killed everything.

We won’t be venturing out to a restaurant anytime soon though. 

We've enjoyed ordering in from our favorite nice restaurants. Normally, we would go to one of them once a week. Now we can order from them twice per week. Much cheaper without paying for drinks and service. We do tip the delivery people well, though.

And no, it isn't wonderful to eat out of the containers they use but the alternative is even worse, IMO. I won't  be going to an indoor restaurant for quite some time. It will be better when we go to Slovenia because they have had very little corona.

We had a drink on the Spree in Berlin on Friday afternoon.   Even though it was a bit breezy, it was nice to sit and watch life go by. 

The wait people were masked, friendly and talkative.    I won't hesitate to do it again when i become thirsty.   

Strict here on Crete. Despite the heatwave and though people are now allowed to go swimming and many locals took advantage of that today with their families- our beach taverna guy opened to do some cleaning before the lockdown becomes looser soon but said a strict „NO „ when I asked him if he is allowed to sell water or coffee „ to go.“

„ On the 25th.“

They have done a good job here. Kudos, Crete.

In the end we did visit our local tapas bar just as they opened late afternoon, sat at a table outside, service with a mask. Didn't feel any more or less risky than a takeaway. Still not rushing to go inside, though.

I was out at a Beer Garden Friday night. It was definitely possible to social distance. The 'rules' at the door said only people from max 2 households were allowed at a table and that 1.5 m distance needed to be maintained between guests, but this was clearly not being enforced as some tables had 7-8 people. I myself was with one other friend, and we had to fill in a form with our names, phone numbers, and addresses, in case we needed to be contact traced.

There was table service only, the waitrons had masks and gloves on, and there were a few hand sanitizer dispensers around. Masks were required to use the toilet, and only 2 people at a time were allowed in. The weather was not great, so it wasn't packed at all. I felt totally comfortable.

Of course, it remains to be seen what impact this will have on the overall situation, but I am optimistic. Official reports show there were under 500 confirmed active cases of COVID in Berlin, and the number of new cases is very low (+ 11 since yesterday according to RKI).

That said, I'll be taking Dr Christian Drosten's advice and I won't be going to an indoor establishment unless the new case rate continues to remain low, but I'm fine with outdoor (and drinking from the bottle, as Dr Drosten suggests).

Looks like reopening isn't without its problems...

https://www.exberliner.com/coronavirus-latest-monday-may-18/

"...restaurants might as well close their doors again given how little money they have made since opening on Friday, according to Berlin’s gastronomy association. "From our point of view, it was a catastrophe," said Vice President Uwe Schild of Dehoga Berlin. Many business owners were finding their sales at an all-time low, as punters stayed away despite the warm weather. Given the extra costs of opening, it would have been smarter if cafes and restaurants had remained closed, Schild believes."

https://www.exberliner.com/whats-on/food-drink/restaurants-reopening-lockdown/

On 5/17/2020, 1:28:07, dessa_dangerous said:

sheer idiocy IMHO.  WTF have we been doing with our thumbs up our assess at home for all this time, only to undo it all in a matter of weeks by going out and starting enormous infection chains all over again?  The same people who've never stopped spending Saturdays with 39 of their closest friends in the park are the ones chomping at the bit to get back into restaurants.  I can't understand it.

1. Not all people are rich, some have very few savings and need to earn money. Halting the economy should be done on the cost/benefit basis. I think this is the turning point when the cost of keeping millions unemployed exceeds the benefit.

2. And the benefit is to slow down the pandemic, not to stop it, as everyone gets the virus sooner or later anyway. The measures were to slow down infection rate a bit, so hospitals buy enough ventilators, scientists spend more time to find a vaccine (useless in case of influenza-like viruses as they mutate all the time).

No, you were not verarscht. It's just not so simple.

13 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

1. Not all people are rich, some have very few savings and need to earn money. Halting the economy should be done on the cost/benefit basis. I think this is the turning point when the cost of keeping millions unemployed exceeds the benefit.

2. And the benefit is to slow down the pandemic, not to stop it, as everyone gets the virus sooner or later anyway. The measures were to slow down infection rate a bit, so hospitals buy enough ventilators, scientists spend more time to find a vaccine (useless in case of influenza-like viruses as they mutate all the time).

No, you were not verarscht. It's just not so simple.

I have no idea why you are arguing with me or where you get the idea that I said I was verarscht, are you sure you're quoting the right person?

john_b asked for our thoughts and those were mine.

edit: oh, I see.  Because I wanted to know what we were doing with our thumbs up our asses at home to undo it in a matter of weeks.  OK.

My opinion still stands that it's foolishness.  I'm not here to discuss whether my opinion is the one and only truth on cost/benefit.  I am just a normal person who doesn't want to get sick.  I'm not an expert in economy or risk analysis.  I'm not trying to stop you from going to the pub.  I'm just not going to meet you there is all.

No economy is halted. Stocks are still being traded. People are still working. Groceries are being bought and people are still having items delivered.

In most countries, service sector workers are receiving unemployment and other subsidies. The idea that the economy is halted is actually a misstatement of the 1%'s complaint that their dividends and profits have been curtailed. The drive to "get people back to work no matter what" in the US is founded on the fact that the conservatives don't want people to realize that having health insurance connected to employment is a failed concept.

The battle cry that "we must restart the economy" is really all about "Quick! Get them back to work making profits for us before they realize we set this thing up like a house of cards."