Rundfunkbeitrag not paid by my hauptmieter, and now they charge me

29 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, jeba said:

Together with others I inherited a property and it came with a verbal lease contract for one of the flats grandma had entered into because it was with the son of the previous tenants and she trusted him. He´s been renting the flat for close to 40 years by now and it was never a problem. That´s not to say I recommend it.

A verbal contract is not a problem in that case in the way that it's known he is a tenant, he lives there and I assume he can prove he's paying rent.  It's going to be a problem though if you disagree with the tenant about something that was supposedly agreed upon like how you calculate the heating, did he have cable included etc.  Although I suppose after 40 years, there is tradition.  It would be different if he'd been there one year and starts complaining after the first nebenkostenabrechnung that you had told him it's pauschalmiete.

The problem here is that in absence of any evidence of a verbal contract, the default position to fall back is "no contract", there aren't really any alternatives.

10 hours ago, Namu said:

Ah here it is. For decades it was the Nazikeule now it's insults like if you go on discussing you are obtuse or cold or frigid or rude. Do you shut up your German family and friends like that too?

Nope, just you. You've earned it.

Hello all, sorry If this was asked earlier. I could not find anything related. I am currently paying my rent inclusive of the radio tax. I had received a letter sometime back, but our owner mentioned that he would take care of the radio tax amount. Now I am shifting to another apartment and would need to pay the radio tax by myself. I wanted to understand how does this work? I wasn't aware of the radio tax payment and my owner says that he pays it every quarter. Do I also have to pay the amount for the past years? Or I would only pay for the new apartment? Do we need the payment records for tax return?

Many thanks.

You only need to pay it for the new apartment since your old owner already paid it for the other apartment. You can pay monthly, quarterly, every six months or yearly, but direct debit quarterly is most common. I do it as well. Non tax deductible public television and radio fees.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

You only need to pay it for the new apartment since your old owner already paid it for the other apartment. You can pay monthly, quarterly, every six months or yearly, but direct debit quarterly is most common. I do it as well. Non tax deductible public television and radio fees.

Thanks for the information. I just heard that we need to pay the radio tax by our name wherever we stay or else we would end up paying fine or the amount for all these years.

4 hours ago, Shradha said:

Do I also have to pay the amount for the past years? Or I would only pay for the new apartment?

Many thanks.

No. You need to pay only for new apartment.

Do we need the payment records for tax return?

No

Now I am shifting to another apartment and would need to pay the radio tax by myself. I wanted to understand how does this work? I wasn't aware of the radio tax payment and my owner says that he pays it every quarter. 

To avoid any future Hassel, just ask and get the Beitragsnummer from your old owner and save it safely somewhere. It's just a numerical code. In case the ARD forgets and decide to bill you for your past years, you can just give them the Beitragsnummer and that should be it. This will save time to chase old owner for the beitrgs Nummer. 

2 hours ago, vivanco said:

No. You need to pay only for new apartment.

No

To avoid any future Hassel, just ask and get the Beitragsnummer from your old owner and save it safely somewhere. It's just a numerical code. In case the ARD forgets and decide to bill you for your past years, you can just give them the Beitragsnummer and that should be it. This will save time to chase old owner for the beitrgs Nummer. 

Many thanks for the reply and info. I will get the Beitragsnummer from him.

Update to everyone, maybe this helps: I asked for the contact responsible for this and forwarded him/her a copy of my old contract, stating that my rent included all the nebenkosten. After one month, they deducted those years from my bill. So I really recommend everyone to keep their previous contracts and do the same!