Transferring Vehicle from USAREUR to German Registration

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am in the process of getting my residence permit. However, I have a vehicle that is still registered with USAREUR. What are the steps and what do I need to do to transfer the car into the German System?

Also, my father, who is GS, is on my vehicle registration because his name is also on the title. Will that be an issue for me when registering it in the German system or can I only register it under my name?

I replied to your PM, but will post here as well in case anyone else has similar questions or can provide additional information.  I also made a couple of corrections, so please use this instead of the PM.  It's only been a year since I transferred my vehicle, so I can still remember most of what I did. :D  I will provide links to forms and information that you will need.

There are several tasks that must be accomplished, such as registering with the Rathaus where you intend to live.  I assume you have already done this since you are applying for a residency permit.  You will need a copy of the Anmeldung in order to transfer the vehicle.

If you don't already have one, you will also need a German driver's license, which you can get without a residency permit.  This is another process that is the subject for another discussion.  It can be complicated and expensive.

1.  Once you decide when you want to start the transfer process, go to the "kfzonline" website and click on the city closest to where you will live or where you will apply for your residency permit.  You can reserve a license plate number for your vehicle, if the letter and number combination is available.  I think you need to identify the size of the plates to fit your car.  If you have a U.S. model, you might need the short plates for front and back.  As I remember, when the selection is done, you will print out the reservation form and can take it to any place that makes the license plates.  These are normally near the Zulassungsstelle.  The reservation is good for three months:

https://kfzonline.ewois.de/

2.  Take the vehicle to any German TÜV and have it inspected, and you can do this with the USAREUR plates still on it. Depending on the size of your city and inspection station, you might have to make an appointment for the inspection.  I had my truck inspected in Darmstadt and made an appointment online.  You will need the mechanical and emissions inspection.  I think I paid about €135 to have my truck inspected.  If the vehicle passes both inspections, you will receive two blue forms.  Make three color copies of each form, as you will need these at the Zollamt.  I can't remember if the Zulassungsstelle kept the original, but I made a color copy for them just in case.

3.  Get the insurance coverage you want (need) for the vehicle.  The insurance company will issue a code that any Zulassungsstelle can access to verify you are covered.

4.  Go to the Zollamt website and fill out the Form 0350.  This is the German customs declaration you will need in order to transfer vehicles or any personal item with a cost in excess of €5,000.  Although I had lots of expensive items I accumulated over the years, none of them exceeded the €5,000 price, but some came close.  The form is filled out online and will automatically populate three copies.  Assuming you don't have any single items over the limit, put the vehicle  price in Block 8 and the vehicle information in Block 10.  The Block 10 information includes the make, model, and FIN (we call it the VIN).  I think you can save the form, but I printed it.  You will take all three copies to the Zollamt.

https://www.formulare-bfinv.de/ffw/form/display.do?%24context=18C762452EF51CB236EA

5.  Go to the nearest U.S. Customs Office and complete the AE Form 550-175B.  I included a link to the information document, but the form is not available online.  Everyone listed on the USAREUR registration must accompany you to the U.S. Customs office.  You will also need a Bill of Sale, and there should be blank forms at the Customs Office or the USAREUR Vehicle Registration Office that you can fill out.  You will need your German address that matches the address on your Anmeldung.

https://www.eur.army.mil/Portals/19/documents/Customs/AEF550-175B-SellingDonatingPersonalProperty191223.pdf

6.  Take all of the documents so far to the Zollamt for processing.  I don't know what more you will need, since you are a dependent, but I had to bring a color copy of my passport and DoD retirement orders.  You must take the vehicle to the Zollamt office, since the agent will need to verify the information on the Form 0350.  If the Zollamt agent is satisfied with everything, he or she will return one copy of the signed Form 0350 and will issue a Form 0060 that you will take to the Zulassungsstelle to register the vehicle.

7.  Take the license plate reservation form you received from Step 1 and go to any place that makes license plates.  The staff will make two plates for your vehicle, but you must make sure they make the plates that will fit your vehicle.  Some offices will also offer, at additional cost, to print the green Euro X sticker that goes on the inside of the windshield.  They will need proof that your vehicle meets one of the standards, but when I did it, they took my word for it since the truck was only seven months old.  I can't remember how much the sticker cost, but it wasn't much.

8.  Take the license plates, Zollamt documents, TÜV documents, proof of insurance, and your Anmeldung to your servicing Zulassungsstelle.  I can't remember how much I paid, but you will likely receive a new long title if there is no room on it for the new owner information.  If there is room for the new owner information, it will be added to the existing long title.  If you don't have a German title, I think the clerk will print one based on the information you provide.  I had a German title for my truck.  You will also receive the short vehicle registration that you keep in the car.  The clerk will attach the seals and inspection sticker to your plate. If you didn't get the green Euro X sticker at the license plate office, you can get it at the Zulassungsstelle.  I think the cost was €5 or €10.  I already had the sticker from the license plate office, so I didn't buy the sticker from the Zulassungsstelle.

9.  Replace the USAREUR plates with the new German plates and make sure you also remove the old green Euro X sticker in the windshield and replace it with the new sticker. I took my tools with me and changed my plates in the parking lot.  I also had a razor scraper to remove the old green sticker.

10.  Take the USAREUR plates and any remaining documents you have accrued during this process to the nearest USAREUR Vehicle Registration Office so the vehicle can be de-registered.

11.  Provide a copy of the de-registration form from the USAREUR Vehicle Registration Office to your insurance office so the insurance can be cancelled.

Hi JG52,

Thank you for this post! You mention:

4.  Go to the Zollamt website and fill out the Form 0350.  This is the German customs declaration you will need in order to transfer vehicles or any personal item with a cost in excess of €5,000.  

https://www.formulare-bfinv.de/ffw/form/display.do?%24context=18C762452EF51CB236EA

I cannot find "Form 0350" :-( Can you tell me the name or title of the form (in German)? Or any other info that would allow me to find it under: https://www.formulare-bfinv.de/ffw/content.do?%24

Many thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, esa_dan said:

Hi JG52,

Thank you for this post! You mention:

I cannot find "Form 0350" :-( Can you tell me the name or title of the form (in German)? Or any other info that would allow me to find it under: https://www.formulare-bfinv.de/ffw/content.do?%24

Many thanks in advance!

Apparently, the Zollamt site has a time limit for the form links.  Go to the link you provided and then click on the "Suchen" link at the bottom of the left menu.  In the "Titel" block, enter 0350 and click on "Suchen".  You will see two versions of the Form 0350 that you can fill out online.  I can't see any difference between the two forms, so pick one and start typing.  You only have 45 minutes to complete the form, so make sure you have all of your information available.

I want to post a big shout out :lol: & THANKS :P to @JG52 for this information. I just went thru this entire process with two vehicles and this post proved to be an invaluable and largely accurate guide. The one major deviation I experienced was that in Step 8, the Zulassungstelle here in Weiterstadt would not allow me to register either of my vehicles until I had already deregistered them from the USAREUR system. This forced some quick thinking and a rejuggle, as it meant that I could only do one vehicle at a time as I needed to keep one plated and drivable while the other sat unplated in my driveway (while I returned its plates to the USAREUR office to get its deregistration certificate). 

The minor deviations were:

• The staffer in the Zulassungstelle insisted on visually checking the VIN/FIN number on both vehicles, hence we had to visit several times.
  • I had one vehicle that was US Spec, and this means that, following its TuV (which in addition to a regular TuV inspection - which required some mechanical and electrical work to meet DE specs - also had to include a 4-page Gutachten report), I also had to apply for a 'Betreibeserlaubnis', which in Hessen is done online via the Marburg district office (and you pay via CC, PayPal or online bank transfer).
  • Step 5 is not necessary if there will be no change in ownership, i.e. you are neither selling nor buying the US Forces-plated vehicle. So, if all you're doing is simply importing and then registering your own vehicle(s) that you've already owned for at least a year, AE 550-175B is not needed.

Hope this helps any future registration changers! ;-)

I'm glad the process worked for you.  The interpretation or enforcing the transfer rules seems to vary between the different vehicle registration offices.

Quick question about this process.  Does it matter if the vehicle is US Spec or German Spec?  Were you deregistering a German Spec vehicle and then switching to the German registration system?  I wasn't sure if this would work with US spec vehicles.  I have a US spec BMW and the dealership refused to do a TUV inspection because they said it wouldn't pass the inspection.  They said I could get the vehicle to German Spec, but it would require a trip to Hamburg and about 4k euros to complete the process.  Additionally, any time a new factory part would be installed, the vehicle would revert to US spec and require the process to be done all over again in Hamburg.  I haven't tried taking it to a private German TUV yet, so maybe the dealership is just wrong.  Any thoughts/ideas on this?

The country specification does matter when importing a vehicle into the German system.  My Ford truck is a European model purchased over six months before I retired, so the process of leaving the U.S. military system and importing it into the German system was not as painful as it would have been for a non-European model.  If I had imported a U.S. Ford F-150, as I originally planned, the cost to convert it to the European standards would have been several thousand Euros.  I abandoned the plan to import the F-150 because the salesman couldn't guarantee it would arrive in time to meet the six-month registration time in the U.S. system, so I don't know where the conversion would take place.

The dealership might be a bit creative with the truth concerning subsequent repairs after the conversion.  As I understand it, the TÜV inspection following the conversion and transfer is a one-time event and any TÜV inspection after that will not be concerned how many trips to the dealership for OEM replacements you make or do repairs you do yourself.  The post-conversion inspection is to ensure you meet the requirements at that time.

Thanks JG.  In the end, I don't think its worth the hassle.  I think it might be better to just sell the vehicle and get a German Spec vehicle.  I appreciate the help.