Purchased item from online company that has filed for insolvency

10 posts in this topic

Hello Toytown, 

I bought furniture online from a website called Massivum in March. My items never got delivered so I contacted the company on their webchat and was told that the company has applied for insolvency proceedings.

They say an insolvency administrator will get in touch with my claim. Am I likely to recover any portion of my order? I'm assuming there won't be much/any cash left after paying off creditors. Anyone got any reason to think I should be more optimistic about the situation? 

Thank you!

I would not be optimistic about the situation. You will be in a long line of small fry creditors once the big boys get their shares back. But you never know. Expect the worst, and if you do get anything back, you'll be somewhat happy.

Sorry. I hope you didn't spend too much.

How did you pay for the furniture? If you used a credit card or Paypal you should be able to get all your money back.

Get the transaction reversed - and don't pay for things up front unless you use a credit card, that way you can do a chargeback if things go awry. Alternatively only order stuff from places that send the invoice in the parcel / with the goods / afterwards.

16 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Get the transaction reversed - and don't pay for things up front unless you use a credit card, that way you can do a chargeback if things go awry.

That didn´t work for me when I bought something via ebay, paid via paypal charging my American Express credit card. All I got back was € 50 from ebay as a token of their compassion.

6 hours ago, jeba said:

That didn´t work for me when I bought something via ebay, paid via paypal charging my American Express credit card. All I got back was € 50 from ebay as a token of their compassion.

That's not good.Surely the onus is on the seller/sender to prove the item was delivered to you?!

4 hours ago, where.is.J said:

Thank you for your thoughts! Do you think there is any way I can at least claim VAT back? 

I would have thought that the VAT you paid to the seller is part of the money that is now 'tied up'. I doubt that the VAT was passed on to the state as presumably that's done only later/periodically.

3 hours ago, lunaCH said:

That's not good.Surely the onus is on the seller/sender to prove the item was delivered to you?!

That wasn´t the problem. The item wasn´t as described and even though the seller agreed to take it back before that could happen his ebay account was deleted and I wasn´t able to contact him anymore.

Surely a chargeback was still possible for the very reason it was not as described?! I would have pursued it that way regardless of Ebay's gesture.