Crypto Taxation: FIFO, LIFO and free tax after 1 year

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

it is my understanding that if I buy some crypto and I keep them for more than one year before selling them, then the gain i do on that sale is free of tax.

I am not a crypto traider, i am a so called holder so I will (and i want to) be in the above case.

But what happens if in the meanwhile I add to my wallet some "fresh" crypto ? The same type that I have already ? Are the "old" ones still free of tax after one year ? In other words, is the First in First Out principle valid also for this 1 year rule ?

In order to be more clear I will do a (imaginary) example.

On 1st Jan 2015 I buy 1 BTC and 1 ETH.

Starting from 1st Jan 2016 I will not pay taxes on gain derivated from sale of these Coins.

On 1st March 2016 I buy 2 BTC and 2 ETH.

What happens if on 1st April 2016 I sell 1 BTC and 1 ETH ? Can be that sale considered referred to the BTC and ETH I bough on 1st Jan 2015 and then be considered tax free ?

Or the Purchase i made on 1st jan 2016 has in someway reset the "after 1 year is tax free" counter ?

Too niche for an amateur and not interesting enough for a profi to put the effort in for free. You want tax advice hire a tax advisor.