Invited to spend Christmas with a friend and his family in Germany

49 posts in this topic

a more specific suggestion: a gift basket with traditional german stuff so they see that you informed yourself and some canadian stuff as a nice gesture. That'be cool!! 

If you need help with german products on google you find a bunch of german gift baskets ;D 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I skimmed through this topic.  I was intrigued because Christmas is so far away.  I'm impressed that it's May and people that are not married, or at least engaged, or living together, are planning what they will do together in 7 months.  That's some confidence! 

 

Germans think Canada is exotic.  More exotic than the USA.  But maple syrup is available here, and sadly it's all Canadian.  (Not Vermontian).  But maple sugar candy on the other hand, is NOT widely available here.  And if anyone doesn't like maple sugar candy, they are nuts.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DoubleDTown said:

I was intrigued because Christmas is so far away.  I'm impressed that it's May and people that are not married, or at least engaged, or living together, are planning what they will do together in 7 months.  That's some confidence! 

 

I was more amazed that everyone assumes that she'll be able to fly here as a tourist for a visit in December (the travel ban to the Schengen Area for tourists was extended at the last minute to June 15, 2020).

 

If everything is better by then, I'd also recommend butter tarts. Lots and lots of butter tarts with walnuts (not raisins). However, since you are from the West, you should probably also bring some Nanaimo bars.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goodtimezz said:

a more specific suggestion: a gift basket with traditional german stuff so they see that you informed yourself and some canadian stuff as a nice gesture. That'be cool!! 

If you need help with german products on google you find a bunch of german gift baskets ;D 

Hahaha that's an awesome idea! :D :D

 

50 minutes ago, DoubleDTown said:

I skimmed through this topic.  I was intrigued because Christmas is so far away.  I'm impressed that it's May and people that are not married, or at least engaged, or living together, are planning what they will do together in 7 months.  That's some confidence! 

 

Germans think Canada is exotic.  More exotic than the USA.  But maple syrup is available here, and sadly it's all Canadian.  (Not Vermontian).  But maple sugar candy on the other hand, is NOT widely available here.  And if anyone doesn't like maple sugar candy, they are nuts.

We're not even dating!! Haha, but I'm quite happy. And also confused. We've been talking about our families the past couple of days, and he seems to want to meet my extended family and grandparents in China too. So I'd say we've gotten quite close amid the NYC quarantine if nothing else?

 

Also that's a great idea if I can actually visit! Especially since I'll likely be flying in from Ottawa. I would also like to bring maple cookies if it happens.

 

20 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I was more amazed that everyone assumes that she'll be able to fly here as a tourist for a visit in December (the travel ban to the Schengen Area for tourists was extended at the last minute to June 15, 2020).

 

If everything is better by then, I'd also recommend butter tarts. Lots and lots of butter tarts with walnuts (not raisins). However, since you are from the West, you should probably also bring some Nanaimo bars.

Haha I'm you're probably right! I was just excited by the prospect because I've spent Christmas (and by extension my birthday) alone for the past couple of years due to family complications. We're probably both being a tad unrealistic... call it youthful optimism? 😂

 

Thank you for the recommendations though! If I can't come over this December, I definitely will keep these gift ideas in mind when I finally do visit friends in Europe! (Or maybe send over a care package if international postage works.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, goodtimezz said:

a more specific suggestion: a gift basket with traditional german stuff so they see that you informed yourself...

 

Thats what we Brits would call "Coals to Newcastle".

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HEM said:

Thats what we Brits would call "Coals to Newcastle".

Hahaha I see your point!

It would still be fun to add some light "German" touches when decorating the gift basket, or bring some things I know he'd like that aren't necessarily Canadian :lol:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obligatory update, I guess: He isn't interested, but surprisingly, I feel more relieved than anything :)

Thanks again everyone!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now