Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Blue Card to Permanent Residence Permit

3 posts in this topic

Dear all, 

I am a EU blue card holder looking to apply for a permanent residence permit later this year and I have a couple of questions regarding the requirements and application process.

First, I was wondering the calculation of the accelerated period starts. I understand that blue card holders can apply for a permanent residence permit at 21 months if they have B! language level and 33 months if they have A1 language level (according to section 19 a, passage 6 of the German Residence Act). I started working and paying into the social security scheme since April 2018. Between April to October 2018, my salary did not meet the blue card requirement. However, I switched to a different company that pays more (same profession) in November 2018, which qualified me to obtain blue card.The immigration office has issued a blue card in August 2018 as I already showed the contract with the new company with the higher salary. 

Due to the above, I am not sure when the starting date is when considering the 21 or 33 months requirement for the permanent residence permit. Can anyone of you advise as to when the period starts:  August 2018 (when the blue was issued), or November 2018 (when the new job started)? 

Additionally, as applicants are required to take the "Life in Germany" test (which I assume is the same as the naturalization test), but the language level can vary (someone with A1 or B1). Do you know if the test can it be taken in English? 

Many thanks for your help. 

There is no English version of the "Leben in Deutschland" test.  You will be required to take it in German.

Hi,

I understand that the period starts when the blue card was issued. The salary level is updated every year, so of course can be the case that you don't match it now but that is ok.

Permanent residency doesn't require the  "Life in Germany" test at all. At least that is my understanding and my friend's experience.

Good luck!