Is this WG offer a scam? How to proceed safely?

8 posts in this topic

I'm currently searching for a WG room in my large city, and found on wg-gesucht a decent enough offer for a Zweck-WG. I contacted the flat owner, and we had a pleasant discussion on the phone, after which she invited me to visit and view the WG. Because she doesn't live in the city, the two current residents of the WG showed me around - a bit offstandish, but hey, it's a Zweck-WG. They seemed friendly enough. I decided to accept the offer, and now the first red flag went up when she said she'd send me the contract via mail, and to let her know my current contact details.

But is this a red flag? It isn't unreasonable that a flat owner doesn't live in the same city as the flat, and given the pandemic isn't inclined to travel over. Still, I wanted to pass this by you guys - does it smell of a scam, and should I insist on a particular procedure for the contract, security deposit, key transfer? Should I insist on returning the signed contract in person?

Never pay money before you have keys in hand! Try the keys on the spot if they work.

27 minutes ago, Metall said:

Never pay money before you have keys in hand! Try the keys pn the spot if they work.

Will do! But is there anything suspicious about mailing the contract?

1 hour ago, Metall said:

Try the keys pn the spot if they work.

28€ and 35 seconds of work to buy and swop a key cylender...   that advise is not  worth the pixcels its usung...

31 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

28€ and 35 seconds of work touy and swop a key cylender...   that advise is not  worth the pixcels its usung...

OK?

Well. It does not sound red flag to me. Whatever she sends as a contact wont harm you until signed und sent back.