Moving to München from Italy

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

I'm planning on moving to Germany before the end of this year. I speak fluently two languages and can speak in English casually. That said, I am really interested in working with animals like on a farm or some other type of facility (not as a vet or anything highly qualified of course). Do you think it is possible to find someone willing to employ me? Where should I look for a job offer like that? 

Can you speak German? In Munich there are no farms. You have to leave the city limits. On the country side they speak Bavarian, however. You need the Force in order to understand that.  What kind of farm? A regular farm, a children's farm, an experience farm ("Erlebnisbauernhof")? Do you have experience?

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Can you speak German? In Munich there are no farms. You have to leave the city limits. On the country side they speak Bavarian, however. You need the Force in order to understand that.  What kind of farm? A regular farm, a children's farm, an experience farm ("Erlebnisbauernhof")? Do you have experience?

I have a basic understanding of the German language because I studied it in high school. I will surely take a course for learning the language first and then find a job (I already have a roof on my head when I get there). I have a little experience in a family cow farm, but nothing mayor and I think I would go for a regular farm. 

When you write "I speak fluently two languages", then I guessed you mean German and Italian. Why else wouldn't you specify which? There is big demand in Germany for seasonal workers helping gather crops on farms. The demand is big because the pay is low and work is hard. But you don't need to speak the language much. Is it something for you?

I'm not searching for an employer here, that's why I didn't specify which languages I speak and no, it's not German and Italian but Croatian and italian. I was a seasonal worker here in Italy many times (gathered grapes, plums,..) so I'm aware how difficult it is, I would rather work with animals tho. But I guess I have to start from somewhere so I'll look into the crops gathering...thank you

ok - not to sound discourageing... let's sum the plan up a bit:

you currently live in Italy, speak Italian and Croatian, and do seasonal farm work in Italy. Is that seasonal work something you do all year around ? or really just for about 6 months (or even less) every year ?

Now you want to move to the Munich area (still not speaking German) - which I fully understand :) Munich is (in my opinion) the most beautiful city in the world. That, however is also the problem with Munich (and the surrounding area): because it is so beautiful, everybody wants to live there (well, of course not everybody, but you know what I mean), and then it becomes hard to find housing, and everything gets super expensive.

With that in mind, there is a saying here in Germany: "you'd have to work in Frankfurt, to be able to afford living in Munich" (because the average salaries in Frankfurt are the highest in Germany).

Which brings up my next question: you sound like you want to continue your seasonal/farm hand style of job, while living in the greater Munich area? Seriously, I doubt that that would be feasible - even if such seasonal work existed in the Munich area.

I know from personal experience that there is a region North of Freising, called "Holledau", where they grow the World-famous Hallertauer hops :) that is a lot of manual labor, and a lot of jobs for seasonal workers (many of them from Poland). But then, of course, they live in Poland and just come temporarily, living in some "container village" while they pick the hops.

Also (maybe) there is a need for farm hands in Allgäu - where I'd guess the main source of agricultural income involves cows and dairy farms. That would be year around, I guess - but the daily commute to Munich would be terrible.

My advice: whereever you decide to live, before you can even think of looking for a job (any job for that matter) you need to learn the language.

Good luck :)

1 hour ago, karin_brenig said:

Now you want to move to the Munich area (

I think he just said "Germany", someone else brought up Munich.

Well, Majiivo posted in Life in Munich said, "I already have a roof on my head when I get there." 

I'm actually a bar waitress and I do seasonal work occasionally every year. I'm moving to Munich (20 minutes by train from the center of Munich actually) because I'm moving in with my boyfriend who's been living and working there for 7 years now. I'm also well aware that I have to learn the language first, that's why I'm starting a language course as soon as I get there :) I was just curious about the farm work possibilities that the greater area offers! Thanks for the advice btw

Just now, majiivo said:
22 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

ok - not to sound discourageing... let's sum the plan up a bit:

you currently live in Italy, speak Italian and Croatian, and do seasonal farm work in Italy. Is that seasonal work something you do all year around ? or really just for about 6 months (or even less) every year ?

Now you want to move to the Munich area (still not speaking German) - which I fully understand :) Munich is (in my opinion) the most beautiful city in the world. That, however is also the problem with Munich (and the surrounding area): because it is so beautiful, everybody wants to live there (well, of course not everybody, but you know what I mean), and then it becomes hard to find housing, and everything gets super expensive.

With that in mind, there is a saying here in Germany: "you'd have to work in Frankfurt, to be able to afford living in Munich" (because the average salaries in Frankfurt are the highest in Germany).

Which brings up my next question: you sound like you want to continue your seasonal/farm hand style of job, while living in the greater Munich area? Seriously, I doubt that that would be feasible - even if such seasonal work existed in the Munich area.

I know from personal experience that there is a region North of Freising, called "Holledau", where they grow the World-famous Hallertauer hops :) that is a lot of manual labor, and a lot of jobs for seasonal workers (many of them from Poland). But then, of course, they live in Poland and just come temporarily, living in some "container village" while they pick the hops.

Also (maybe) there is a need for farm hands in Allgäu - where I'd guess the main source of agricultural income involves cows and dairy farms. That would be year around, I guess - but the daily commute to Munich would be terrible.

My advice: whereever you decide to live, before you can even think of looking for a job (any job for that matter) you need to learn the language.

Good luck :)

I'm actually a bar waitress and I do seasonal work occasionally every year. I'm moving to Munich (20 minutes by train from the center of Munich actually) because I'm moving in with my boyfriend who's been living and working there for 7 years now. I'm also well aware that I have to learn the language first, that's why I'm starting a language course as soon as I get there :) I was just curious about the farm work possibilities that the greater area offers! Thanks for the advice btw