Moving to Munich from USA

131 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Welcome to TT

yes you are right there are some people on here, who are bored or who have a kinda of wind-up personality just waiting for people to turn up and give you a hard time, but there are many nice people on here trying to help.  Yes you are right this is a free service, take any info on face value and check it before you use it, if you want professional advice then sometimes it better to pay for it.

There are many nice people on this site, who know things, try not to get angry - it never helps. I come from the UK so, I have nothing really to add on importing cars/motorcycles, but I tried to be helpful on page 1 about health insurance. So I have no info about about importing stuff.

I would advise you to keep claim, take any info you can get from her, check its right and move on. Even if people are trying to provoke you here, just ignore them

@CincyInDE seems like a nice helpful guy to me, in the years I have seen his posts, take him up on his offer of help

You've just restored my faith in humanity, Digga! 

Image may contain: Comics, Book, Manga, Human, and Person

When a newbie asks a question of the TT family.

8 hours ago, alterami said:

I dont care that youre not getting paid. Im not either. So have fun giving shit to others. I would much rather get no advice than deal with assholes.

Toytown is unnecessarily unfriendly to newcomers asking for advice.   I have never understood it.  

There is one more takeaway from the exchanges above:   a lot of the expats here proudly pick up the worst behaviors of the Germans, i.e. rules oriented, petty, bossy, pedantic, unfriendly, arrogant, and dismissive.   

This thread should warm you up for the inevitability that one of your German neighbors will give you a condescending lecture for something like sorting your garbage incorrectly.   

Keep a positive attitude and ignore the unnecessarily negative people. 

I wish you a lot of success and a smooth transition.  

2 hours ago, balticus said:

Toytown is unnecessarily unfriendly to newcomers asking for advice.   I have never understood it.  

Wow... you never noticed that Toytown mirrors the host country?

2 hours ago, balticus said:

There is one more takeaway from the exchanges above:   a lot of the expats here proudly pick up the worst behaviors of the Germans, i.e. rules oriented, petty, bossy, pedantic, unfriendly, arrogant, and dismissive.   

This thread should warm you up for the inevitability that one of your German neighbors will give you a condescending lecture for something like sorting your garbage incorrectly. 

I once had a neighbor interrupting our dinner because my car's front was hanging 30cm over the sidewalk, despite being a pedestrian street with barely any use. We don't pick the worst behaviors of the Germans, a considerable percentage is downright pedantic assholes.

3 hours ago, balticus said:

But arent you one of those that has enquired about why I havent been Perma banned?   

By asking such a question would endorse that you wished me to be banned...   Thats not very friendly!  

Now, I dare say that I am on of TTs "Salt of the earth" type of guys and" says it as I see it"...    But I have also given cracking advise about many things here without reward or even a thanks!..    

If the OP of this topic had actually read the sign-up page, he would have seen the part where it says "Use the search function".... That search function usage, would have thrown up the "importing" enquiry...   Although I am Brit through and through, I have actually bought an american Spec Motorcycle and have been through the complete import, conversion, Road safety inspection and Registration ...     

I also know just how expensive Munich has become and hence I suggest he ask for more sallary....  I just got an arrogant reply! 

AND, while we are at it Balti....   have you ever actually offered to assist any TTer in difficulty...   I know I have AND when offered financial reward, it was turned down point blank!!   ( Except one case whhere I asked the guy to send some assistance to 2B or Not 2B.... )

10 hours ago, tor said:

I think the TT  trolls are upping their game to keep traffic moving OFF the site.  hmmm...who could be behind that...?

@torFixed that for you. :D

Makes it easier to close TT down if there's no click traffic. Simplez.

I also find TT to be somewhat negative and lots of hijacked threads. So I usually sift thru to find what I want to read. So don't get discouraged original poster!! Back to the original topic for the original poster:

I moved from DC to Switzerland 6 years ago and did a ton of research on the Swiss equivalent blog (englishforum.ch). I very often came across the same thing - "I wish I would have brought my bed", I read it OVER and OVER. I also find European beds to be terrible. Thin, no support, just terrible!!!!

So I shipped half a container and had my king sized bed and frame. I also brought furniture - Crate and Barrel, which is quite expensive and so it made it worth it to ship it. it's not like I was shipping Ikea stuff. I couldn't have been happier. I still have the bed and mattress and all of my personal stuff - photo albums, millions of books, family stuff (no street value, but valuable to me). Yes, you can't get sheets or duvets here. I have brought new ones back myself and a friend once brought them when visiting. So don't worry, there are ways around it.

Two years ago I moved to Germany and still have most of the furniture. Yes, the bed was a tight fit in my Swiss apt, but in my German apt, I have a ton of space. So it's up to you!!! Yes read all the comments, but decide for yourself. Here is at least one post that is positive about bringing your bed (also any European who stays over always loves my bed :) ) I personally, have not regretted it once. 

Can't comment on a car. I haven't owned one since I left DC and just rent one occasionally and use train.

2 hours ago, Nkwal said:

I also find European beds to be terrible. Thin, no support, just terrible!!!!

Since I've been over here over the years, beds have gotten much, much better. You just have to spend a little in order to get a good one just like you have to do in the U.S.

10 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

But arent you one of those that has enquired about why I havent been Perma banned?   

By asking such a question would endorse that you wished me to be banned...   Thats not very friendly!  

Now, I dare say that I am on of TTs "Salt of the earth" type of guys and" says it as I see it"...    But I have also given cracking advise about many things here without reward or even a thanks!..    

If the OP of this topic had actually read the sign-up page, he would have seen the part where it says "Use the search function"... That search function usage, would have thrown up the "importing" enquiry...   Although I am Brit through and through, I have actually bought an american Spec Motorcycle and have been through the complete import, conversion, Road safety inspection and Registration ...     

I also know just how expensive Munich has become and hence I suggest he ask for more sallary...  I just got an arrogant reply! 

AND, while we are at it Balti...   have you ever actually offered to assist any TTer in difficulty...   I know I have AND when offered financial reward, it was turned down point blank!!   ( Except one case whhere I asked the guy to send some assistance to 2B or Not 2B... )

But aren’t YOU one of those that has enquired on here about why I haven’t been banned from Toytown ( for some reason I cannot fathom why😜)? You have mentioned two or three times the past couple of weeks.. it must be because I’m an authorised advertiser!

You ( bla bla ) wished me to be banned. That’s not very friendly!😂

Silly boy!

9 minutes ago, john g. said:

But aren’t YOU one of those that has enquired on here about why I haven’t been banned from Toytown

Sure... But I aint the only one....   Tick tock!  tick tock... !

Who else, young squire? Who are your flying monkeys? And for what reason? And what is your reason? Dogs?
Have I ever written on here you should be banned?

No.