Moving to Munich from USA

131 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, alterami said:

I never planned on "bringing all my shit to germany" but feel free to assume that and leave it at that.

Whatever you bring, it will probably be too much.  We are not just criticizing you, but also laughing at our past selves. 

BTW, You should probably develop a thicker skin if you want advice here.  

24 minutes ago, alterami said:

But feel free to keep injecting unsolicited advice and congrats on first date.

welcome to Toytown. You'll get used to it. 

6 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Whatever you bring, it will probably be too much.  We are not just criticizing you, but also laughing at our past selves. 

9 minutes ago, alterami said:

Yes solicited advice for the car question.

And I gave you that, as have many others, and all of it is to leave your vehicles back in the U.S. "But still he persisted..." lol. Hence my PSA post.

But you also mentioned you were bringing furniture, possible, all in one...that's probably why almost everyone also recommended that you not bring it, as well, but just clothes.

So, it sort of does sound like you want to bring all your shit to Germany...and yes, I guess you missed the part of our/me laughing at myself. 

5 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Ok thanks, will do. Also to all future posters, please dont post if you are going to be butt-hurt if I dont do everything you tell me, thx.

2 minutes ago, zeeklafreek said:

And I gave you that, as have many others, and all of it is to leave your vehicles back in the U.S. "But still he persisted..." lol. Hence my PSA post.

But you also mentioned you were bringing furniture, possible, all in one...that's probably why almost everyone also recommended that you not bring it, as well, but just clothes.

So, it sort of does sound like you want to bring all your shit to Germany...and yes, I guess you missed the part of our/me laughing at myself. 

Bullshit. If you read what I wrote, I already said Ill reconsider shipping my car due to the advice against it. But make up whatever you want.

2 minutes ago, alterami said:

Ok thanks, will do. Also to all future posters, please dont post if you are going to be butt-hurt if I dont do everything you tell me, thx.

I bet you get invited to a lot of parties.

(Butt-hurt?! 2005 is calling...)

20 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Another piece of advice - make friends and accept help.  Contacts are much more necessary here than in the States.

This is not the way to do it.

1 minute ago, alterami said:

In all frankness, the only one here with butt-hurt seems to be you.  You can’t control the narrative on a forum like this, and if you could, you would end up NOT learning things you need to know.  For example, my unsolicited comment about your motorcycle endorsement.  It’s something you hadn’t even considered, so you would not know to ask.

So, read the comments, and decide what is useful to you and your situation.  Feel free to say if a comment isn’t relevant to you.  Getting upset about us being absolutely sure that you will make choices you regret, because many of us have done exactly that already, isn’t going to help you, and will obscure the useful info you are receiving.

and then, in some distant future on toytownusa you may be posting:   Moving to USA from Munich

"what are the rules and restrictions moving a motorcycle from germany to the states?  

Just now, Space Cowboy said:

In all frankness, the only one here with butt-hurt seems to be you.  You can’t control the narrative on a forum like this, and if you could, you would end up NOT learning things you need to know.  For example, my unsolicited comment about your motorcycle endorsement.  It’s something you hadn’t even considered, so you would not know to ask.

So, read the comments, and decide what is useful to you and your situation.  Feel free to say if a comment isn’t relevant to you.  Getting upset about us being absolutely sure that you will make choices you regret, because many of us have done exactly that already, isn’t going to help you, and will obscure the useful info you are receiving.

Im thankful for the pertinent advice about the vehicles I may or may not be shipping and my other two questions but there are a lot of smug and snide posters as well. Why post just to be sarcastic? Extremely unappreciated.

1 minute ago, alterami said:

Im thankful for the pertinent advice about the vehicles I may or may not be shipping and my other two questions but there are a lot of smug and snide posters as well. Why post just to be sarcastic? Extremely unappreciated.

Ok.  Bye.  And good luck.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

BTW - easy to buy a 2 meter by 2 meter bed here. We had one and it fit fine but we downsized later because we didn't use 1/3 of it. :rolleyes:

Love cozy beds!!

5 minutes ago, alterami said:

Why post just to be sarcastic?

picture yourself on a subway in munich.  you get on board during rush hour and the train is full.  you stand in the doorway and shout out that you're moving to munich and need advice.  people shout back.  that's TT.

7 minutes ago, catjones said:

and then, in some distant future on toytownusa you may be posting:   Moving to USA from Munich

"what are the rules and restrictions moving a motorcycle from germany to the states?  

Nope I wouldnt ask you that. Too many assholes.

Just a couple of points!-

When we changed UK licence for German ones- the woman had no idea of what the UK classes are- so gave me a motor bike class😏  So, as one other poster said- you may well find all classes transferred.

We did a good decluttering, but many items I could not throw away. So, brought them, but later discarded.

You never know what you might need/ want/ miss, so bring whatever you want!

We stayed in a holiday rental, furnished either cleaner for 3 months. Owner gave us a good deal, lent us an Alice stick, for Internet. We registered using this  address.

Take the good advice, and just note some of the other points.

2 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

You never know what you might need/ want/ miss, so bring whatever you want!

You moved from the UK? After the EUCU?  Entirely different story.