Moving to Munich from USA

131 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, alterami said:

Yes I do. But Ill visit the USA to do that.

 

Or just go to Austria. I go to a place right on the border. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

 

A couple more things to think about - if you are here for a while, past the useful life of your mattress or bedsheets, you will NOT be able to get a replacement mattress or bottom sheet that will fit properly.  And when you leave Germany, no one here will want your US-spec bed for those reasons.

 

this is true the other way around too :) until I discovered Amazon Global, I really struggled to find sheets, and comforters, and pillows for our 2x2m German bed in the US.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

BTW - easy to buy a 2 meter by 2 meter bed here. We had one and it fit fine but we downsized later because we didn't use 1/3 of it. :rolleyes:

Yes, for my king-sized mattress, I had to shoehorn it in lengthwise, but I had a few inches gap on the side.  I stuffed a foam piece in there and it works fine.  I now have a little "shelf" to help the cats to get up and to help me put my socks on :)  Got the bedroom set from Ebay Kleinanzeger, btw.  Was like new.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alterami said:

As I already said in my original post, Im planning on staying in an already-furnished apartment until im able to get an unfurnished one.

 

I will ship stuff only after I have secured an aparment with enough space for it.

Be careful, if you wait too long you will have trouble with customs.  I forget what the time limit is, but if you ship your stuff too late than customs will want to put tariffs on it.  If you ship within the time limit, then you it will be considered personal items and no tariffs (except for the bike).  I shipped mine too late but ended up not paying customs, but it was a pain in the ass.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

One of the reasons why large beds with two separate mattresses instead of one big mattress are popular here is this - a king-size (or German equivalent) bed may fit in your room just fine, but you may not be able to get a king-size (or German equivalent) mattress in there.

 

 

A couple more things to think about - if you are here for a while, past the useful life of your mattress or bedsheets, you will NOT be able to get a replacement mattress or bottom sheet that will fit properly.  And when you leave Germany, no one here will want your US-spec bed for those reasons.

They hefted ours over the balcony to get it into the apartment.  Luckily we were only on the second (first) floor. 

 

Bring lots of bedsheets with you.  You can also order them from Amazon and the like, but paying the shipping is a pain.  I wouldn't worry about selling your mattresses when you leave.  Who wants used mattresses (Eww)?  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BradinBayern said:

They hefted ours over the balcony to get it into the apartment.  Luckily we were only on the second (first) floor. 

 

Bring lots of bedsheets with you.  You can also order them from Amazon and the like, but paying the shipping is a pain.  I wouldn't worry about selling your mattresses when you leave.  Who wants used mattresses (Eww)?  

 

I wasn't talking about selling the mattress, but the bedframe.  Most people won't buy a bedframe if they can't easily buy a mattress/bedsheets that fit it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Be careful, if you wait too long you will have trouble with customs.  I forget what the time limit is, but if you shipp your stuff too late than customs will want to put tariffs on it.  If you ship within the time limit, then you it will be considered personal items and no tariffs (except for the bike).  I shipped mine too late but ended up not paying customs, but it was a pain in the ass.  

Im not sure I understand yet why I have to pay tariffs on the motorcycle...its not like im shipping it to sell, its my personal transportation...and Ive already paid tax on it when buying it...isnt there a double taxation exception?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, alterami said:

Im not sure I understand yet why I have to pay tariffs on the motorcycle...its not like im shipping it to sell, its my personal transportation...and Ive already paid tax on it when buying it...isnt there a double taxation exception?

I actually could have been wrong there.  I found a page that says that you can get an exemption for "Übersiedlungsgut"  (BTW, that page has the time limits for getting your stuff here - 12 months)

https://www.zoll.de/DE/Fachthemen/Zoelle/Zollbefreiungen/Aussertarifliche-Zollbefreiung/Uebersiedlungsgut/Voraussetzungen/voraussetzungen_node.html

However, it still seems that you will have to pay some fees and other stuff.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, alterami said:

Im not sure I understand yet why I have to pay tariffs on the motorcycle...its not like im shipping it to sell, its my personal transportation...and Ive already paid tax on it when buying it...isnt there a double taxation exception?

 

No, there is not.  You will be required to pay  German vehicle tax.  Payment will be due at the port.

 

https://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-individuals/Staying-in-Germany/Transferring-residence/transferring-residence_node.html

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

 

No, there is not.  You will be required to pay  German vehicle tax.  Payment will be due at the port.

 

https://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-individuals/Staying-in-Germany/Transferring-residence/transferring-residence_node.html

 

Ok I just read part of that, and it makes it seem like "personal property moved as a result of relocation" would be exempt...am I misunderstanding it?

 

Conditions and arrangements for relief from customs duty

Conditions

One of the conditions for the recognition of goods as personal property, that is property moved in connection with a transfer of residence, is that the normal place of residence outside the customs territory of the Community must have been maintained for at least twelve months.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really dating myself here (few others would) but after he died, Yul Brenner made a PSA warning about the dangers of smoking and it was really just him (speaking from experience, obviously, since he had died of lung cancer) saying over and over in an ominous voice "Don't SMOKE!" ...and yet, I did, for 20 years. Even with the litany of folks on this thread warning the OP: "Don't bring all your shit to GERMANY!" ...I'm betting he's still gonna bring all his shit to Germany.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zeeklafreek said:

I'm really dating myself here (few others would) but after he died, Yul Brenner made a PSA warning about the dangers of smoking and it was really just him (speaking from experience, obviously, since he had died of lung cancer) saying over and over in an ominous voice "Don't SMOKE!" ...and yet, I did, for 20 years. Even with the litany of folks on this thread warning the OP: "Don't bring all your shit to GERMANY!" ...I'm betting he's still gonna bring all his shit to Germany.

And then he will join us in telling the next generation to not bring all their shit to Germany. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zeeklafreek said:

I'm really dating myself here (few others would) but after he died, Yul Brenner made a PSA warning about the dangers of smoking and it was really just him (speaking from experience, obviously, since he had died of lung cancer) saying over and over in an ominous voice "Don't SMOKE!" ...and yet, I did, for 20 years. Even with the litany of folks on this thread warning the OP: "Don't bring all your shit to GERMANY!" ...I'm betting he's still gonna bring all his shit to Germany.

If i want advice on which brand of shoes to buy or something similar, I would ask, I asked very specific questions. But feel free to keep injecting unsolicited advice and congrats on first date.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020, 9:23:06, alterami said:

Hello Ive accepted a job offer in Munich in IT for 70-80k euro/yr. I have to wait for Visa issues due to the virus though. Ive already spent several hours reading these forums and found it helpful.

 

Ive read its hard to find an apartment. So Im planning on staying at a short term furnished apartment or Airbnb until I find something longer term. Sound reasonable?

 

Secondly, I need to choose health insurance. Ive been recommended by 3 different people the "gesetzlich" TKK insurance...any feedback on this? I was thinking of private insurance but I was told, that if I choose that, I can never switch back, is this correct? 

 

I have a car and a motorcycle. But my car is not worth much. Maybe 5k...I definitely want to take the motorcycle, the car, its very reliable but not sure if it makes financial sense to ship it, vs just living with motorcycle plus public transportation at first, and just buying a car there later. I will need to ship furniture and stuff, most likely in a shipping container(?) So maybe it still would make sense to ship the car and everything in one container? Is that even possible?  Is it worth the hassle of getting it licensed etc in Germany?Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Sounds pretty solicited to me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

And then he will join us in telling the next generation to not bring all their shit to Germany. 

I never planned on "bringing all my shit to germany" but feel free to assume that and leave it at that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, alterami said:

Ok I just read part of that, and it makes it seem like "personal property moved as a result of relocation" would be exempt...am I misunderstanding it?

 

Conditions and arrangements for relief from customs duty

Conditions

One of the conditions for the recognition of goods as personal property, that is property moved in connection with a transfer of residence, is that the normal place of residence outside the customs territory of the Community must have been maintained for at least twelve months.

 

Personal property is exempt from import duty, as long as you bring it within a year of your relocation.  Import duty is not the same as motor vehicle tax and fees.  You will pay that.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, alterami said:

I never planned on "bringing all my shit to germany" but feel free to assume that and leave it at that.

 

Ok, Francis.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Space Cowboy said:

 

Personal property is exempt from import duty, as long as you bring it within a year of your relocation.  Import duty is not the same as motor vehicle tax and fees.  You will pay that.

 

Vehicle tax and fees amount to a third of the value of the vehicle?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, zeeklafreek said:

Sounds pretty solicited to me.

Yes solicited advice for the car question.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, alterami said:

Vehicle tax and fees amount to a third of the value of the vehicle?

 

Depends on the vehicle.  I think you should figure on paying about 18% of what German Customs estimates is the value of your motorcycle, which will likely be higher than you think it is worth.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now