Moving to Munich from USA

131 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, alterami said:

There is something very strange with this forum

yes, there is :}

2 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

According to this site, https://www.verti.de/blog/us-import-motorrad.jsp

Further more:

These costs are in addition to all of the hassle, and woe-be-unto-you if any of the necessary paperwork is missing.  Unless you have a very strong sentimental attachment to the bike, it makes almost no sense to bring it, IMHO. 

Ok ill check it, however the exact same model is a popular bike in Germany. Also in the interim I found this page...

https://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Importing_a_motorcycle_to_Germany

Which says the process isnt that bad.

you might send a copy of your license to someone here ask them to do a little leg work for you at the ADAC about the bike. could save some hassle.

13 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Keep in mind that most everything is smaller in Europe.  For example, apartments and furniture.  Apartments are already hard to find in Munich so in your shoes, I'd worry about finding the apartment first and then worry about what size of bed you can fit in it.

As I already said in my original post, Im planning on staying in an already-furnished apartment until im able to get an unfurnished one.

I will ship stuff only after I have secured an aparment with enough space for it.

7 minutes ago, alterami said:

I have not ever heard this. I will definitely have to research it more. I live in a state with allegedly full reciprocity for licensing. That will be really annoying if they make me take the motorcycle test over...been riding motorcycles most of my life.

I have heard of it.  I found this list for which classes they accept here:  https://res.cloudinary.com/adacde/image/upload/v1572337531/ADAC-eV/KOR/Text/PDF/staatenliste-nicht-eu-land-umtausch-fuehrerschein_v2ag0f.pdf   If you find your state on there, it might tell you something.  

you already have a job secured - good for you.

As for health insurance, I'd go with the "gesetzliche" (public) version - just easier to deal with, and more "future proof". Any Kasse will do - TK is really popular, maybe even bigger than AOK by now.

As far as shipping "stuff" - or even a  motorcycle - like others said before me, it's really not that good of an idea. I can attest to that from doing it twice - Munich to Indiana in 2006, now back to the Munich area in September 2019. The first time we took almost everything (except the car), and while I felt OK with the results, I still think it was a waste of money and a big hassle. On the way back we took just the absolutely neccessary minimum of "personal" things of mostly sentimental (and a few practical) value. which at times seems like it's still too much stuff.

Your absolutely biggest problem will be to find housing. Rental places, furnished or not, temporary or long term, city center, or anywhere the S-Bahn goes, reasonably sized and reasonably priced, are extremely hard to come by. It's like a war, or at least feels like that. For each little piece of something there will be 50 applicants competeing.

We got "lucky" - "living" in my parents' basement, until we finalize the purchase of our house. Hopefully soon.

If your future employer can offer any help with that, take it!

Good luck.

8 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I have heard of it.  I found this list for which classes they accept here:  https://res.cloudinary.com/adacde/image/upload/v1572337531/ADAC-eV/KOR/Text/PDF/staatenliste-nicht-eu-land-umtausch-fuehrerschein_v2ag0f.pdf   If you find your state on there, it might tell you something.  

22 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Thanks for this. On this document, my state is listed. In the "Klasse" column, it says "D". In the other two columns it says "nein"...any idea what klasse D means?

1 minute ago, alterami said:

Thanks for this. On this document, my state is listed. In the "Klasse" column, it says "D". In the other two columns it says "nein"...any idea what klasse D means?

Is class D not a drivers license class in your state?  As far as I understand the list, it lists country / state, which class of license will be transferred and whether a test is required, written or practical.  So if it says for your state, D and nein, nein, I take it to mean that they will transfer a class D license from your state without any test being required.   

5 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Is class D not a drivers license class in your state?  As far as I understand the list, it lists country / state, which class of license will be transferred and whether a test is required, written or practical.  So if it says for your state, D and nein, nein, I take it to mean that they will transfer a class D license from your state without any test being required.   

Ok so class D is a class in my state, but its only for cars. Class M is motorcycles. So on my license it says DM...If the class is not listed on this document, does that mean i have to take the motorcycle license test all over again in Germany?

9 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Here's the exact definition of class "D" vehicles:

https://www.fahrschule-bank.de/23-fuehrerschein/fuehrerscheinklassen/120-klasse-d.html

Basically says cars, passenger vans, busses - anything except classes AM, A1, A2 and A (which would be motorcycles).

Which is why your MC endorsement won't translate.

Be prepared to pay around 2.000,- € for mandatory training and subsequent testing. And the training can not be done on your own bike ;)

BTW - easy to buy a 2 meter by 2 meter bed here. We had one and it fit fine but we downsized later because we didn't use 1/3 of it. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, karin_brenig said:

https://www.fahrschule-bank.de/23-fuehrerschein/fuehrerscheinklassen/120-klasse-d.html

Basically says cars, passenger vans, busses - anything except classes AM, A1, A2 and A (which would be motorcycles).

Be prepared to pay around 2.000,- € for mandatory training and subsequent testing.

Wow, this is ridiculous. But thanks for the bad news.

welcome to Germany. :) I hope you don't like fishing or hunting either...

3 minutes ago, tor said:

welcome to Germany. :) I hope you don't like fishing or hunting either...

Yes I do. But Ill visit the USA to do that.

7 minutes ago, alterami said:

Ok so class D is a class in my state, but its only for cars. Class M is motorcycles. So on my license it says DM...If the class is not listed on this document, does that mean i have to take the motorcycle license test all over again in Germany?

Yes, looks like it.  If you get lucky, you might get someone who doesn't know and gives it to you by mistake ;) 

If you had a license from Virginia, you see they will give you M.  It all depends on which agreements they've made with different states.

5 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

Be prepared to pay around 2.000,- € for mandatory training and subsequent testing. And the training can not be done on your own bike ;)

If you look at the list, it's not talking about our D which is a bus license, it's talking about which classes in that country / state are accepted here so in his case, class D in his state which is B for us.  For other states, they can have different names like you see from the list. For example in Florida it's called E and some states have more than one class that transfers like Virginia with a whole bunch of them.

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

Keep in mind that most everything is smaller in Europe.  For example, apartments and furniture.  Apartments are already hard to find in Munich so in your shoes, I'd worry about finding the apartment first and then worry about what size of bed you can fit in it.

I´ve visited 170sqm houses to rent where you could not fit a king size bed in it! They went for lots of small rooms instead of decent sized rooms.

1 hour ago, alterami said:

Its not just a money issue. Its that some things are not easily replaceable. Ie I bet its hard to find a suitable US king sized bed in Germany etc. I do not have a large volume of stuff and dont mind paying shipping. 

Look, this is very simple: bring cloths, especially jeans because here they are expensive, arrive, get an apartment, go to IKEA, buy the basic stuff and use public transportation or buy a used car/motorcycle, and start your job.

What if you get an apartment and the bed doesn´t fit? Are you going to throw it away or send it back? What if you need to drive, but your motorcycle is not allowed to?

You cannot imagine the German bureaucracy! Keep it to the minimum, because even the minimum will demand countless hours from your free time! If you insist in bringing stuff, not only you will lose money, but especially you will lose a lot of time and burn a few neurons navigating through German bureaucracy.

9 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I´ve visited 170sqm houses to rent where you could not fit a king size bed in it! They went for lots of small rooms instead of decent sized rooms.

Look, this is very simple: bring cloths, especially jeans because here they are expensive, arrive, get an apartment, go to IKEA, buy the basic stuff and use public transportation or buy a used car/motorcycle, and start your job.

What if you get an apartment and the bed doesn´t fit? Are you going to throw it away or send it back? What if you need to drive, but your motorcycle is not allowed to?

You cannot imagine the German bureaucracy! Keep it to the minimum, because even the minimum will demand countless hours from your free time! If you insist in bringing stuff, not only you will lose money, but especially you will lose a lot of time and burn a few neurons navigating through German bureaucracy.

As Ive stated a couple times already, I wont ship anything until I have an apartment with space for it.

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

That is correct.

As many others have stated, and speaking from experience, aside from clothes and memorabilia you'd like to adorn your new apartment with, leave everything else behind. (I left my TLC and BSA in the States...16 years ago.) I too had my shipping paid for by work but immediately regretted hauling most of it over here. 

22 minutes ago, alterami said:

As Ive stated a couple times already, I wont ship anything until I have an apartment with space for it.

If this is your plan, measure everything.  And I mean EVERYTHING - including the areas through which your furniture will need to be transported, not just where the pieces will end up. 

One of the reasons why large beds with two separate mattresses instead of one big mattress are popular here is this - a king-size (or German equivalent) bed may fit in your room just fine, but you may not be able to get a king-size (or German equivalent) mattress in there.

Beds come disassembled - mattresses not so much.  A king-size mattress may not fit through doors or stairwells in a lot of german houses and apartments/apartment buildings.  Two smaller mattresses will fit.

A couple more things to think about - if you are here for a while, past the useful life of your mattress or bedsheets, you will NOT be able to get a replacement mattress or bottom sheet that will fit properly.  And when you leave Germany, no one here will want your US-spec bed for those reasons.