Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Landlord wants to organize visits in my flat and risk of Coronavirus

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am currently renting an apartment in Munich, with my contract ending on the 26th of June. I will thus leave before this date: this is fine. The problem is that my landlord intends to sell this apartment, and wants to organize visits with prospective buyers before I move out. While this is perfectly expected in normal times, having multiple people visit my flat currently put me at risk of contamination by the Coronavirus (I have preexisting conditions that make me want to stay well clear of it). 

Has anyone faced the same issue? How did you solve it in the end? Does anyone know whether special corona-related legal provisions have been enacted recently in this type of situation?

I thank you in advance for your answers and your help.

If you have preexisting conditions, maybe with a letter from your doctor you can convince the landlord not to do it, just making a video or so.

Maybe conditions could be in place:

-Landlord with one prospective client only at a time

- Both must wear  mask and gloves

- maximum 20 minutes visit

A video virtual tour is a great idea , but most will want to actually see the apartment.

In Bavaria there's still an ausgangsbeschränkung. Visits are only allowed if someone is going to end up homeless or the apartment will be empty resulting in substantial financial damage to the owner. Since he's selling, it would be hard to argue for either case

Dürfen noch Wohnungsbesichtigungen stattfinden?

Grundsätzlich nein! Das Verlassen der eigenen Wohnung ist nur bei Vorliegen triftiger Gründe erlaubt. Ausnahmsweise sind Wohnungsbesichtigungen möglich, wenn andernfalls Wohnungslosigkeit bzw. aus Vermietersicht Wohnungsleerstand und daraus resultierend erhebliche finanzielle Engpässe drohen, dann aber nur als Einzelbesichtigung und keine Massenbesichtigungen. Und auch hier gilt: Jeder trägt Verantwortung dafür, die Infektionsrisiken möglichst zu minimieren. Halten Sie deshalb unbedingt die Hygiene- und Abstandsregeln ein!

And from the Mieterverein in Munich

Die Leitlinie der Bundesrepublik Deutschland und auch des Freistaats Bayern ist derzeit, dass soziale Kontakte auf das Allernötigste heruntergefahren werden sollen. Menschen sollen das Haus nur noch verlassen, um die wichtigsten Dinge wie Lebensmittel oder Medikamente kaufen zu gehen oder zur Arbeit zu fahren. Deswegen können Besichtigungstermine nach Meinung des Mietervereins München derzeit abgesagt werden – egal wie viele Personen zur Besichtigung kommen würden. Denn jeder unnötige zusätzliche Kontakt zu Menschen ist derzeit zu vermeiden, um das Virus nicht weiterzuverbreiten. Die Besichtigung einer Wohnung oder deren Verkauf gehören derzeit nicht zu den lebensnotwendigen Tätigkeiten

Thank you so much for your answers, this really helps a lot! I now know where the law stands.

My landlord has so far been quite fair to me, so I really don't want to cause any problem, but at the same time I am worried about the implications of catching that virus. I will offer to film videos, or even do live virtual visits (as a cameraman) if necessary, and hopefully that will satisfy all parties.

Thanks again!

Kid#1 back in the UK has had so far in lockdown times, the rat man (welcome, obviously, although not warned in advance by the landlord, so the girls almost called the police on him ;)) a dude to change some lightbulbs (not so welcome, and not invited by them) and worst of all, an architect who came with the landlord, and they entered and measured every room in the house - only 4 Bewohner at the moment (students - most went home), but a 4 flat, 6 per flat property, so there was a lot of wiping of multiple doorknobs etc after they left after 6 hours - that last visit was surely illegal. The guy is an idiot. Some people really are clueless about the whole business.

Hey ho, hopefully you will be able to make a plan with the landlord, lemming.

9 hours ago, kiplette said:

Kid#1 back in the UK has had so far in lockdown times, the rat man

We need the rat man - I caught one a few days ago with a rat trap in our shed/carport & that afternoon when walking the dog (an elderly Yorkshire terrier who rarely sees anything) saw TWO of them running around in front of neighbour's tripple garages.  Wife phoned neighbours who said they had already contacted the Kammerjäger...