Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Living in Saarbrücken or Kaiserslautern

3 posts in this topic

Hi All,

How is Kasierslautern or Saarbrücken for living in general for Indioan families compared to cities like Munich or Frankfurt. There is a job offer from St. Wendel location. This location is in between liike no where, but would like to know from people living in cities near. We are family of 3 with child of 2 years. I am little concerned as I will be in job for the day, but my wife and child would remain home , would liek to know how is social life for Indian families there. Like any Indian families residing in these 2 cities or around.

Saarbrücken is a very very small place when compared to other cities in Germany. So there is not much of a "social" life here, particularly for a family. Things are even harder if you don't speak Deutsch. You'll be fine if you're in an academic setting tho'. Same scenario with KL as well.

Having said that, the good thing about Saarland is that it has a looot of green cover since the whole state is pretty much nestled in the forest. Based on our experience of living there in a small village, I don't think safety is of a concern. Even in SB or KL it's pretty much not at all a thing to be concerned about. However you might face difficulties in finding accommodation.

There're also some Asia/Turkish shops which sell pretty much all Indian food items.

Saarbrücken to St Wendel is about half an hour by direct train, Kaiserslautern to St Wendel is double the time 

and you need to change trains. By car it's about the same.

Saarbrücken has a close connection to France, with - in normal times - many people crossing the border in both directions for work and shopping.

Kaiserlautern has one of the largest housing areas for the US military.

St Wendel is a nice, very small and very catholic town.