Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Windows 10

19 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of upgrading (finally!) from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
However, I read recently that Windows 10 has a keylogger built in as standard, which would allegedly let Google read all my emails etc.
Does anyone know whether this is true or just hysterical propaganda / a nasty rumour?
Thanks.

onemark

Another tip:- Win 10 Pro is well worth whatever extra it may cost, if nothing else you have the possibility to disable auto updates, which you don't with the standard version.

23 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Another tip:- Win 10 Pro is well worth whatever extra it may cost, if nothing else you have the possibility to disable auto updates, which you don't with the standard version.

Agreed.  However there are ways to disable auto updates in Windows 10 Home.  Here are links to two articles which show how: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-stop-a-windows-10-update and https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html.

1 hour ago, starkebogen said:

Agreed.  However there are ways to disable auto updates in Windows 10 Home.  Here are links to two articles which show how:

Yes but as I understand it those methods that are available for Win 10 Home will only delay auto updates. Note that as per the instructions in your link the Group Policy method (which allows the user to control updates) is not possible with Home.

You can get a Windows 10 Pro license key for very little Euros.  I was very surprised that this worked and was legal.  

44 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

You can get a Windows 10 Pro license key for very little Euros.  I was very surprised that this worked and was legal.  

Yes, I got my latest on Amazon, figured it was less risky than Ebay or similar, worked well. Be aware though that they are usually OEM licenses so they are locked to the hardware they are initially installed on, unlike the retail versions which can be re-installed on different/upgraded hardware.

6 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Why are you disabling updates?

There can be many reasons to do this temporarily.

For example, when I go on vacation I'd like to disable updates as I know that the hotel or wherever has limited Internet bandwidth and such an update that would be no problem at home can cause issues in that situation.  Same applies if I am travelling with the Bahn - I dont want an update to try to take place during travel.

Another could be if I am planning to do a presentation - I don't want an update to get in the way.

23 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

For me it is down to doing updates when I want, which is quite regularly. I am not one of those" if it ain't broke don't fix it" people I do value improvements but I absolutely hate it when I want to do a quick restart only to find that it starts the slow process of configuring the system for updates that have been downloaded and installed automatically.:angry:

Or you shutdown your computer so you can run for a train. And instead of shutting down it says updating, don't disconnect power.

You are giving the power to computer to decide its tasks are more important than you. Which is not something you should give computers.

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Some people have disabled Updates from the early days of Win10 when after several Updates there would be problems with graphics drivers, audio, etc. not working correctly as MS were pretty much using the early adopters of Win10 as beta testers. This is why some people delayed upgrading to Win10 for as long as possible.

17 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Indeed, seems my knowledge had not been updated:rolleyes:, the option was introduced with the Win 10 "Creators Update".