I had to leave Germany in a hurry and now trying to deal with the fallout

16 posts in this topic

Background to the current mess.

I've been living with my ex girlfriend in her fathers apartment. Our relationship degraded beyond

what could be called normal and the final straw on my part was being shoved in the back

which sound's pretty minor but considering I'd just had spinal fusion surgery in late Jan 2020 this

a little more serious. After this incident I decided it would be better that I returned to the UK and

agreed with her father that I needed 10 day's or so just to sort out my affairs. Well so much for

great plans my ex then went crazy and I have to admit scared the s**t out of me so with the help of

a friend from the UK I managed to book one of the last flights out of Germany and returned to the

UK the next day homeless and broke.

Current Problems

Firstly the UK is currently in lock down so traveling back to Germany to sell with my car and

get my things back to the UK is not so easy.

Communication with my Ex is next to impossible so trying to find a solution with her is a no

go . Giving her Power of Attorney over the car and other high value things of mine would have

been a option but I think to do that I would need to have an element of trust which unfortunatly

lacking in this case. 

What I would like to know.

Is it possible to sell a car when you live in another country ? If so does anyone have any links

or advice on how to do this ? . Selling the car is vital as this would fund the shipping of my things

back to the UK.

If a person is being unreasonable with the collection of personal of belongings is there anything

that I can do which means they cannot dictate which company I use and when ?

Is her father more reasonable?  Can you work through him?  He has access to the apartment and therefore would be the only one outside of your ex that wouldn't need a court order.  

Why would you even consider giving power of attorney to your ex if you cannot trust her enough to be  in the same country with her?

I guess you could try selling your car through a used car dealership if you have the paperwork and keys with you.  If not, you are pretty screwed.  You are in a horrible bargaining position, of course. They will tell you what they are willing to pay you and you will have to accept.

Are you sure your stuff is still there and not sitting on the curb in the rain?  Sounds like you need to be buying new stuff and a new car and getting on with your life.

2 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Sounds like you need to be buying new stuff and a new car and getting on with your life.

I totally agree. Unless the car is really valuable, forget it and start your life again, perhaps a little bit wiser?

I don't think you can just leave a car somewhere to rot. It needs to be taken care of. Maybe you can sell it to her dad for half what it's worth and he can resell for full value for his time and trouble. Or do you have any friends who could do same?

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I don't think you can just leave a car somewhere to rot. It needs to be taken care of. Maybe you can sell it to her dad for half what it's worth and he can resell for full value for his time and trouble. Or do you have any friends who could do same?

Happens all the time.  It will be towed, impounded and then auctioned off.  Of course he will see nothing of the sale if this happens.  

I was going to say is there a German webuyanycar.com - so I gussed and there is https://www.wirkaufendeinauto.de/ . Not sure if someone like that would deal with you over the phone and then go pick the car up, but you never know.

You might just have to wait out the situation and deal with the crap later. What car is it BTW? I was thinking of buying one...

Thanks for the replies :)

Lucky for me the car is fully insured and in a safe place. Access to the keys documents etc etc is possible but I don't have any close friends in Germany who

I could ask to sell the thing for me. Her dad is a nice guy but nearly 80 years old and I don't want to stress him.

Dembo - No sorry it's an Audi ..maybe buy it then sell it and get your BMV :D

33 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Isn't there a fine involved?

Probably.  But you can't get blood out of a stone.  That is one of the advantages of being broke.  

24 minutes ago, Reloc said:

Her dad is a nice guy but nearly 80 years old and I don't want to stress him.

Sounds like he already has a daughter who does that.

1 hour ago, Reloc said:

Don't want a car from Aldi. ;)

3 hours ago, Reloc said:

Thanks for the replies :)

Lucky for me the car is fully insured and in a safe place. Access to the keys documents etc etc is possible but I don't have any close friends in Germany who

I could ask to sell the thing for me. Her dad is a nice guy but nearly 80 years old and I don't want to stress him.

BTW- think he meant By The Way!

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

For a fee, I will collect the car and papers... bring it to safety...  then sell on your behalf... 

Depending on where you are in the UK... I could very well bring some of your other smaller items when I travel to the UK once this CV shit is over...

This is a generous offer, Reloc.  You should seriously consider it!

Try this to see your car - it's basically we buy your car.de

https://www.mobile.de/verkaufen/a/fahrzeug/start?i=priceestimation&mga_d189=SELL,AK,Home,ST,carvaluation

It's in English. I used it and it was spot on for what we were offfered for a very old car recently. 

Try and get the dad to set up a time when you can fetch your stuff from outside the apartment. Take a witness friend to 'help you carry everything' 

53 minutes ago, black1 said:

Try and get the dad to set up a time when you can fetch your stuff from outside the apartment. Take a witness friend to 'help you carry everything' 

The OP currently is in the UK if I understood this correctly, so this sensible plan will have to wait.