Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oktoberfest 2020 Cancelled

6 posts in this topic

Well, it happened. The Oktoberfest has been cancelled for this fall.

The press conference with the Munich mayor Reiter and Bavarian Minister President Soeder just took place:

Offical statement of the City of Munich (translation below*):
https://www.muenchen.de/veranstaltungen/oktoberfest/oktoberfestnews/2020/absage-oktoberfest-2020-corona.html

Local newspaper:
https://www.merkur.de/lokales/muenchen/oktoberfest/

The mayor and Bavarian minister president almost cried - this is an immediate major loss of 1.2 BILLION (US counting, 1,2 Milliarden German counting) Euros of income for Munich and Bavaria. Just the loss of business taxes etc. is a big deal.
There could be additional fallout of business (tourism, entertainment, hotels, restaurants, proprietors of beer tents, but also countless small businesses) suffering losses or going broke. The state will try to shore up the economy with bailouts and keep things going.

I'd like to add that any reservations made for tables, hotels etc. now can be cancelled much more easily and prepayments probably can be gotten back.

Refuse coupons and rain checks if you can, some of these business will go under!

*Translation:
------------------------------------------------
Coronavirus: No Oktoberfest September 19 - October 4 2020

(April 21 2020) Unfortunately the 187th Oktoberfest will not take place this year. Bavaria's Minister President Markus Söder (CSU) and Munich's Mayor Dieter Reiter (SPD) today announced the end of the world's largest public festival this year. But the hope for the Wiesn 2021 remains - there is already a date.

Söder and Reiter:
"We have jointly decided that the Oktoberfest will not take place this year. It hurts us and is an incredible pity. But this is not a normal year and therefore also a year without the Wiesn [Oktoberfest]. We want to continue to protect Bavaria," said the Minister President.

On 15 April, the federal and state governments had decided to ban major events until 31 August. Although the Wiesn 2020 would only have taken place from  September 19 - October 4, it was agreed that the risk was too great for the time after that. Neither compulsory masks nor distance regulations had to be observed at an event of this size.
Nevertheless: The hope for a Wiesn next year still exists: It is currently planned to take place from September 18 to October 3 2021.

Munich's mayor also emphasized that this decision was not easy: "For Bavaria and Munich, the Oktoberfest is the highlight of the year and not to let it take place is of course a bitter pill to swallow. It is a difficult moment for the city, both emotionally and economically. And I ask all Wiesn fans for understanding".

With about 2 million foreign guests, Reiter said that "we did not believe we could be sure not to trigger another wave of Corona".
--------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if the 2020 farmer convention will take place anyway?  That would be nice to get it out of the way to make room in 2021 for the Oide Wiesn, which I prefer because it's 100% more chill and yes, I might be lame. 

10 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

Does anyone know if the 2020 farmer convention will take place anyway?  That would be nice to get it out of the way to make room in 2021 for the Oide Wiesn, which I prefer because it's 100% more chill and yes, I might be lame. 

Highly unlikely unless a vaccine is found by then.

I checked their page just now: https://www.zlf.de/

The Bayerische Zentrale Landwirtschaftsfest (right next to and partly at the same time as the Oktoberfest) hasn't been cancelled.

I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Söder and Reiter didn’t specifically say it, but by canceling the Wiesn that also included all the other beer/folk festivals, Bergkirchweih, Annafest, etc.

The billion Euro loss is just the beginning. The ripple effect through the rest of Bayern will be huge. Has anyone heard about the Stuttgart Cannstadter Festival?