Self servicing my motorbike

8 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I want to do a little service on my motorbike, specifically flush the coolant and fill it up with new.

The problem is: I live in an apartment and don't have my own garage to do it. At first I wanted to do it in front of the house, but I heard how strict the locals are about hazardous liquids getting into the soil. I mean, I don't plan to spill any and have all the necessary tools to do it, but things can always go a little wrong.

So I thought maybe it's possible to do it at the gas station? It seems they are dealing with hazardous stuff 24/7, so there should be some protection layer (?). Have anyone tried it? Or they will scold me and drive me away with a broom?

Thanks.

Flushing coolant is not really a hazard as far as I know, I do it regularly without anything special.  I use a collection tank when I change oil, if you are worried you could use one of those, it is like 10€ from the Baumarkt.

Please be sure you do it

properly though.  In plenty of bikes the bike must be standing at an angle.

13 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Flushing coolant is not really a hazard as far as I know, I do it regularly without anything special. 

Lucky you've not been caught then !

From Entsorgen.org : 

Antifreeze must not be disposed of in the drain

Antifreeze is toxic and must not be allowed to enter the sewerage system.

Therefore, disposal via the drain is not permitted, even if it may seem obvious and convenient.
The antifreeze is a cocktail of various chemicals which, while it works reliably,

also has many potential side effects if it enters the wrong environment.

Antifreeze should be disposed of at the hazardous waste collection point (Recylinghof)
The only way to dispose of antifreeze in a responsible manner is to hand it in at the Recyclinghof.

Antifreeze of all kinds is considered hazardous waste and must be collected in lockable, rigid containers and transported to the hazardous waste collection point.

(Deepl.com translation)

Full story in German

1 hour ago, Gleb Kost said:

Or they will scold me and drive me away with a broom?

If you try this in the street - depending on your neighbors - you might get away with it, you might get fined.

A no spill arrangement and showing willing to mop up any issues would be in your favour.

Are there any do-it-yourself workshops nearby?

(tried Google "harlaching" autoreparatur selbsthilfe  but it didn't show any hits)

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

Lucky you've not been caught then !

Caught doing what?  Changing the coolant?  And what are they going to do?  

P.S. It is a motorbike, there is little chance to do a mess, except if you are extremely clumsy, just put it in a bottle and if you have Louis in Munich bring it there and put it in one of the bin containers they have for that, and to be nice, maybe buy the coolant from there.  And if they do not have the collection bin then ask them which is one of the partner garage where you can bring it.

@Krieg, thanks a lot, yeah, I got hybrid coolant, that should be right for my bike + I got a 6l plastic bucket for draining oil from Louis. That should do the trick... If I don't find any hobby service station around my area, I might try doing it near my house after all.

@HH_Sailor, thanks for the hint and in no way I wanted to flush coolant down the drain. I'll catch it in a special bucket, put back in the bottles from new one I got and will dispose of it properly. Just really don't want to argue with my neighbours having their own opinion on a lot of stuff ;)

I have replaced my discs all round of my car, had some funny looks from my neighbours - but nobody reported me same with fixing the A/C system and changed the oil

but maybe I was lucky

For someone who might be having the same problem as me in the future:

I did it on the street in front of the house. All went good, all clear, no spills. Didn't have any problems or even basic curiosity from the neighbours 👍

Just google "hobbywerkstatt". There are plenty of them in Munich. They charge for the lift, though you don't need it for a motorbike so they might charge you smaller fee. Also they have a lot of tools and containers for old oil and other stuff.