Collecting the Economic Impact Payment - 2020 CARES Act USA

124 posts in this topic

Additionally, the extra $600 a week for my unemployment payment did land on top of what I’m getting from California...so the wheels seem to be turning.

I just wanted to check if anyone had success checking the status on the IRS site or if they've received payment. I lived in the UK in 2018, and I'd really like to make sure they're using the address on my 2019 return😬

I know expats in Japan have all suddenly been receiving theirs (as of May 1st) so I'm curious...

3 hours ago, jeba said:

Is there a deadline for the application?

There is no application.

@DoubleO that IRS site never accepts me, either. I gave up. I only just did my 2019 return so hoping they use the address on my 2018 return as they said they would do.

BTW, I was wrong when I said this on this thread -  "They also have your bank account if it is the same as your investment account. That comes from claiming investment dividends, etc. on your taxes." 

ETA - I just tried again and received this message-

We scheduled your check to be mailed on May 01, 2020 to the address we have on file for you.

We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.

On 4/20/2020, 7:57:36, AlexTr said:

@Space Cowboy If you have filed using a German address and YOU DID NOT OWE TAXES and therefore have no bank account on file, you will get a check here in August or September,  but not sooner.

Interesting. This is my situation, but I cannot believe I would be eligible for a stimulus check, as I have not lived in the US since 2011, though I file taxes each year anyway. Is it certain that people who have lived long-term abroad will still get a check?

30 minutes ago, Fritsen said:

Interesting. This is my situation, but I cannot believe I would be eligible for a stimulus check, as I have not lived in the US since 2011, though I file taxes each year anyway. Is it certain that people who have lived long-term abroad will still get a check?

I checked the system just yesterday and it tells me my check is being mailed to me. You have to check your eligibility on their website. I have lived here since 2008.

As most of the other people who got it and don't need it, I will be donating the money.

I wish they would have sent more to the truly needy.

I also got my check today. Quite a surprise; I also had problems getting anywhere with the IRS website. Filed in 2018, not yet for 2019, and they sent it to the address on my 2018 taxes. 

For those of you have gotten the check by mail, was it delivered by the Deutsche Post? 

The IRS still hasn't processed my 2019 return, so my check is being mailed to the address I have on file for 2018. I set up mail-forwarding to catch any address changes I might have missed, but this only applies to regular mail. Really hoping the gov. didn't decide to shell out for FedEx or UPS right now. 

Also, for people having trouble logging into the website: Try typing your address in all caps. I came across a tweet about it after having problems myself and it *actually* worked. 

Mine came by normal post. As it says on the IRS website, they will use the address on your 2018 tax return if they haven' yet received your 2019 return.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Mine came by normal post. As it says on the IRS website, they will use the address on your 2018 tax return if they haven' yet received your 2019 return.

Ok, whew! That's a relief. 

It took forever to get into the system trying both addresses, but once I got in with the 2018 address and not the 2019, I could at least figure out where they sent the thing (and that they actually sent it). It will probably be a couple more days then with the Nachsendeauftrag.

I just tried the IRS website and was able to get my status. I entered my German street address but left the zip code field blank. They will be mailing me a check in a few days.

7 hours ago, AlexCLE said:

I just tried the IRS website and was able to get my status. I entered my German street address but left the zip code field blank. They will be mailing me a check in a few days.

Is that the problem? I have been trying for weeks and keep getting frozen out and told to try again in 24 hours, but I know the address I am putting in matches what I put on my tax return. 

Did you put the address in the German format (Xstrasse 3) or the American format (3 Xstrasse)? And no zip at all? 

I was never able to get into the system, but I did receive my check yesterday. A welcome surprise! Do most German banks accept American check deposits? 

22 hours ago, Fritsen said:

I was never able to get into the system, but I did receive my check yesterday. A welcome surprise! Do most German banks accept American check deposits? 

Yes, but they'll probably charge you €25-€50 for it and they might put a block on the deposited funds for a while (because U.S. checks can theoretically be canceled within 6 months of issuance). My bank has done that in the past.

That's why if I ever get any American checks, I endorse them to a friend in the U.S., who deposits them and sends me the money by PayPal. A bit more complex and time-consuming, but much cheaper.

23 hours ago, Fritsen said:

My bank (Chase) allowed electronic direct deposit via their app. The money was in my account the next day. Do you still have a bank account in the states?