Collecting the Economic Impact Payment - 2020 CARES Act USA

83 posts in this topic

As there are many American Expats in Germany, part-time or full-time, I’m wondering how the CARES Act affects you.

Specifically with regard to the $1200 relief checks and the forthcoming payments Congress is working on extending as the first wave has been depleted.

I got an electronic payment to my US bank account last week, for me and my daughter.

If you are eligible, you will get the stimulus money even as an expat.  If you don’t have a US bank account that the IRS has on file, you will likely wait a long time for a paper check.

But just think @Space Cowboy, you and I now have our money, but no check signed by the president. 😩

I do however find it to be very unjust that millions of immigrants who do not have legal status in the U.S., but who work there and pay taxes, will not get this money.  They will also not receive this money for their children who are US citizens.  😡

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2020-04-12/millions-of-tax-paying-immigrants-wont-get-stimulus-checks

@spacecowboy

Exactly what I’m wondering. If the IRS has your American bank account direct deposit information, you should get it, as did I.

If not, the last physical American address they have on file for you is where the paper check lands?

i have an American friend that’s been living in Berlin the last 20 Years. He’s looking into it from his end and I am trying to find out what I can from here in California.

We are getting reports the IRS is sending checks to dead people...

On 4/18/2020, 11:23:46, dave415. said:

We are getting reports the IRS is sending checks to dead people...

Well, they probably voted for Trump...

On 4/18/2020, 11:23:46, dave415. said:

If not, the last physical American address they have on file for you is where the paper check lands?

It will be sent to the address listed on your 2018 or 2019 tax return.  If the tax return was properly filed, that would be your address in Germany, if that is where you live.

i have an American friend that’s been living in Berlin the last 20 Years. He’s looking into it from his end and I am trying to find out what I can from here in California.

If he has filed his tax returns as required by US law, he will eventually get a check at his Berlin address.

On 4/18/2020, 9:14:52, BethAnnBitt said:

I do however find it to be very unjust that millions of immigrants who do not have legal status in the U.S., but who work there and pay taxes, will not get this money.

I disagree. How can you expect a country to reward someone for breaking the law? I´m even surprised to learn that green card holders can claim this benefit (it means that my daughter and sister will receive it but I´m not sure I´d like it if I was a US citizen).

I read an article (can´t remember where though) about banks keeping the funds and merely deducting it from what their customers owe to them. That means the intended recipient doesn´t even receive it.

Topics merged by admin

Have any of you American expats received this yet? I get an error when checking the status. I file US taxes but since I haven't received a refund in the last years they don't have my direct deposit account information. I'm not sure how to proceed.

Is having filed taxes a requirement for US expats to receive it?

@AlexCLE I'm prettysure we're going to end up with a check in August. If you've been filing, there's nothing more you can do at this point.

@jeba Certain people who are not required to file can get it through an alternative link at irs.gov, but any money-earning expat has to have filed.

@Space Cowboy If you have filed using a German address and YOU DID NOT OWE TAXES and therefore have no bank account on file, you will get a check here in August or September,  but not sooner.

3 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Certain people who are not required to file can get it through an alternative link at irs.gov, but any money-earning expat has to have filed.

Thanks. From https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad

it seems there is no threshold below which you don´t have to file. Is this correct? Asking for a friend of a friend who is a dual US/Cypriot citizen but is living of Cypriot government benefits of about € 500/month and who (I bet) never bothered to file a US tax return.  He doesn´t even have a computer so I doubt he´ll want to file a US tax return.

5 hours ago, jeba said:

I disagree. How can you expect a country to reward someone for breaking the law? I´m even surprised to learn that green card holders can claim this benefit (it means that my daughter and sister will receive it but I´m not sure I´d like it if I was a US citizen).

There are millions of people who live in the US and work and pay taxes, but they do not yet have SS numbers because their long term “fate” has not yet been decided.  They are not breaking the law!  For example, I have an Egyptian friend who has legally resided in the US for the past 38 of his 65 years, and both of his kids are US citizens.  Immigration still has not issued him a green card or given him citizenship.  Every 3 or 4 years he has to reapply to stay and we help him by writing letters to advocate for him.  He ends up paying costly legal fees.  He has lived, worked, paid taxes, and raised children in the US.  As far as permanent residency goes he is stuck in a hellish limbo even though he clearly does for all intents and purposes permanently reside in the US.  He deserves the $1,200.

And my German MIL had a US green card for 57 years.  She lived, worked, paid taxes, and received both SS and her German pension.  If she were alive today (she died in 2017 at 94) she would receive, as she should, her $1,200.   

5 hours ago, jeba said:

I read an article (can´t remember where though) about banks keeping the funds and merely deducting it from what their customers owe to them. That means the intended recipient doesn´t even receive it.

Here is a link to an article explaining this.  As one example, the intended recipient owes overdue child support payments.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor/2020/04/15/when-your-stimulus-check-can--and-cant--be-taken-from-you/#1bf4663d3b4f

3 hours ago, AlexTr said:

If you have filed using a German address and YOU DID NOT OWE TAXES and therefore have no bank account on file, you will get a check here in August or September,  but not sooner.

Your bank account may be on file with the IRS either because you owe taxes and want direct debit or because you want to receive your refund via direct deposit.  We have done both over the past several years.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

it seems there is no threshold below which you don´t have to file. Is this correct? Asking for a friend of a friend who is a dual US/Cypriot citizen but is living of Cypriot government benefits of about € 500/month and who (I bet) never bothered to file a US tax return.  He doesn´t even have a computer so I doubt he´ll want to file a US tax return.

There is a threshold.  It can be found in the table in Chapter 1 of IRS Publication 54.  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-54

If 500€/month is his only source of income, he would likely fall below the threshold for filing.

They also have your bank account if it is the same as your investment account. That comes from claiming investment dividends, etc. on your taxes. 

2 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

There are millions of people who live in the US and work and pay taxes, but they do not yet have SS numbers because their long term “fate” has not yet been decided.  They are not breaking the law!  For example, I have an Egyptian friend who has legally resided in the US for the past 38 of his 65 years, and both of his kids are US citizens.  Immigration still has not issued him a green card or given him citizenship.  Every 3 or 4 years he has to reapply to stay and we help him by writing letters to advocate for him.  He ends up paying costly legal fees.  He has lived, worked, paid taxes, and raised children in the US.  As far as permanent residency goes he is stuck in a hellish limbo even though he clearly does for all intents and purposes permanently reside in the US.  He deserves the $1,200.

And my German MIL had a US green card for 57 years.  She lived, worked, paid taxes, and received both SS and her German pension.  If she were alive today (she died in 2017 at 94) she would receive, as she should, her $1,200.   

Then your fried does have a legal status (even if only a temproary one). I was responding to your post which was about people without legal status i. e. people illegally staying in the US.

On 18.4.2020, 21:49:46, BethAnnBitt said:

immigrants who do not have legal status in the U.S

@AlexCLE

I received a text notification that my payment will be deposited on Wednesday.

I e-Filed my tax return on March 26.

None of the IRS apps to check on the status of my check have worked. I have a credit union and for some reason they get/give earlier notice than an regular bank....once I see it with my own eyes I will confirm that I got it.