What are the downsides of taking over someone's lease in a WG (Nachmieter werden)?

6 posts in this topic

Currently WG hunting again, and some good offers require that I take up the lease from a departing subtenant (become a Nachmieter). If I understand correctly, I'll be dealing with the landlord directly with the contracts, and the notice period is extended to 3 months, which if I'm working here for at least a year should be fine if I plan well enough. But are there any hidden caveats and things I should know about being Nachmieter for a room in a WG? If and when I do decide to leave and give 3 months notice, am I on the hook for finding a replacement tenant, or does the landlord do that?

Addendum: On sites, say, WG Gesucht, when it's stated that they want a Nachmieter, do they want a 1) Nachmieter for that room only, or 2) Nachmieter as Hauptmieter for the entire WG, i.e. if the other tenants then bail I'm on the hook for finding replacements for all the rooms and pay all the rent?

My daughter went through this in Freising a couple years ago. At first she was subletting from the main tenant, in a three-woman WG. But then the Hauptmieterin finished her studies and moved out, so my daughter became the main tenant, and she got to choose her flatmates. As long as you feel able to deal with the landlady yourself, no problem. Daughter had to pay the entire rent, which was something under 900, and collect rent from the others.

I don't think I could be a Hauptmieter and be responsible for rooms besides my own, but I take it she has a standard 3 month notice period?

Yes, she had a standard contract, but she's long gone. Someone else took over as Hauptmieter. Since it was a really nice flat, and there was no end of students to choose from, and most students get their parents to underwrite their contract, she felt it was OK. Well, I should say I felt it was OK since I underwrote her contract, that is, I paid it directly to the landlady and daughter paid me back!

There is an Important distinction between the person who switches the ad and the landlord. do not enter into any contract with the the provider. Your contractual partner would be the landlord alone. So be careful! Have a look at the apartment and then contact the landlord, if possible together with the advertiser.