Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

BIS, St George's or ESM?

16 posts in this topic

Hi

I just got a job in Munich an am due to start July. Usually I would have been face to face with some future colleagues who can advise on the schools, but with the lockdown it's impossible. 

I need to enrol my 4 year old in kindergarten in september and am keen for him to learn german from the outset, but would rather not put him in a school where few people  speak english,  just because we have been locked down for so long and i don't want him to feel out of place, as he is already getting a bit lonely.

Looking for opinions from parents with children in the Bavarian Internations School, St George's or European School. It's so hard doing the application process from a distance. Where can he get a decent language educaction whilst still being predominantly reached in English? I can't see any recent posts on this, and schools change over time.

Thanks!

Hi, our kid goes to BIS (Bavarian International School) and we highly recommend it. They have a city campus in Schwabing and another campus further north (Haimhausen).

It is definitely expensive, but in our case we believe it is worth it. Bear in mind that most if not all international schools just had a fee bump recently, so check those fees again!

It is definitely very international, atmosphere is great for kids and parents, lots of social activities and not snobbish.

Where is your company in Munich?

43 minutes ago, Bainesfamily said:

I need to enrol my 4 year old in kindergarten in september and am keen for him to learn german from the outset, but would rather not put him in a school where few people  speak english,  just because we have been locked down for so long and i don't want him to feel out of place, as he is already getting a bit lonely.

My son has been in Germany since he was 8 months old, we tried German Kindergartens for 3 years and then just gave up on them. Terrible quality of teachers, not enough staff and in the last year, several issues with violent kids that they didn't bother to control. Moving to BIS was the single best decision we've made since coming to Germany!

European School is extremely hard if you don't work for the patent office. They have a few vacancies for non-patent office workers, but you will not get them. I also heard the level is not that good.

Thanks so much for your reply, that's really cemented my initial views of the European School so I'll rule that one out. 

From what you have said, BIS sounds perfect. 

My office will be in Halbergmoos in the north east, near the airport, so we are looking to find a place to live that is not too far from either the school or office, and preferably where there are other families and things to do, restaurants, big green spaces etc... We were thinking schwabing, nymphenberg or bogenhausen? Do you know any suitable areas in northern/eastern Munich? 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Bainesfamily said:

My office will be in Halbergmoos in the north east, near the airport, so we are looking to find a place to live that is not too far from either the school or office, and preferably where there are other families and things to do, restaurants, big green spaces etc... We were thinking schwabing, nymphenberg or bogenhausen? Do you know any suitable areas in northern/eastern Munich? 

Well being so much up north, you could actually live in Haimhausen! It is a nice little village, full of BIS parents.

https://g.page/BISHaimhausen?share

It's cheaper than Munich, but no public transportation.

The city campus is in Schwabing:

https://g.page/BISMunich?share

If you prefer an active social night life, then Schwabing is the place, but of course Bogenhausen or Nymphenburg are nice places to live. But all quite expensive.

There is another hidden gem, I will PM you.

Halbergmoos is in the middle of nowhere. Who wants to live near an airport? SAP is based there, because former members of the board didn't like Munich. I don't even want to be found dead there. 

The original BIS was in Halbergmoos. My son went there until following them to Haimhausen. I wish they would've had the Munich campus back then. He had to travel from Schwabing to both campuses. I find it funny that someone would live in Halbergmoos and then travel to BIS.

Bear in mind that intakes for most (all?) international schools for starting in September 2020 will already have been completed.  Usually you have to attend an open day.

It's worth getting in touch with them to see if they have any drop-outs - its more likely in current times of Coronavirus, but don't bank on getting a place for this year!

Depending on the school year and campus, I believe BIS still has some places open. There was a big discussion 1 month ago because they raised the fees considerably, and the main reason was a poor forecast of new students. I´ve heard in the meantime that it went better than forecast, but I guess there are still places left.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

There was a big discussion 1 month ago because they raised the fees considerably, and the main reason was a poor forecast of new students.

So, instead of cutting costs, e.g. reduction of teachers, they increased the fees (registration/enrollment/tuition/service charge/transportation). Great thinking. Let the parents make up for it.

It is not as simple as that. They were underpaying the teachers for a few years and 1 or 2 years ago they agreed on some sort of compensation plan, otherwise you increase rotation too much. I don´t want demoralized or crappy teachers there.

The main issue is that they expected to have government funding, as with other private schools, but as they are not a "german school", the bavarian state has dragged their feet, so they have no funding for this year.

Also there was an agreement that if they met their enrollment targets, they could return a small part of the money.

For most parents, the company actually pays for it, so they don´t care.

In my case, I pay for it, so a 10% increase is significant, but doable. But there are parents who even take loans to pay for it! And a lot of parents are on kurzarbeit or simply lost their income! Some considered dropping their kids.

The school itself has a program to help lower income parents, but if you are on that lower bracket, you probably can´t afford it anyway, even with school financial support.

Back in the day when my son was at BIS, they got a lot of government assistance because at least 50% of the kids were German. I have no idea how it works now.

So...does any English-speaking parent let their children go to a German public school?  Asking for a friend...

21 minutes ago, norcal_sf said:

Lots of us. :)

I would even go so far as to say most of us!