Is magnet fishing legal in Mannheim?

19 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I am wanting to start a new hobby here in Mannheim, which is known as magnet fishing. I have searched all over and found nothing about it be legal or not. Magnet fishing is were you use a strong magnet to pull metals out of places like rivers and such. I was hoping that someone could help and send me in the right place if this is allowed and what I need. I am really hoping to help clean the river out of harmful metals and fluids for the environment. 

11 minutes ago, smoothrider2004 said:

Hello, 

I am wanting to start a new hobby here in Mannheim, which is known as magnet fishing. I have searched all over and found nothing about it be legal or not. Magnet fishing is were you use a strong magnet to pull metals out of places like rivers and such. I was hoping that someone could help and send me in the right place if this is allowed and what I need. I am really hoping to help clean the river out of harmful metals and fluids for the environment. 

Sort of legal, depending on your Bundesland, best place to ask is your local police station and don´t forget magnetic fishing attracts metals, like bombs and ammo and other nasty stuff.

You may want to look at another hobby.

17 minutes ago, slammer said:

You may want to look at another hobby.

Russian Roulette?

Land mine, hop, skip and jump?

Spin the hand grenade?

8 hours ago, catjones said:

Russian Roulette?

Land mine, hop, skip and jump?

Spin the hand grenade?

As kids we once found a box of stick grenades in a river, this was just 30-odd years after the fighting in the area so these things were very much alive and if you knew how to look you could find shell shrapnel on the sides of fields where the farmers had dumped them after finding them in their fields. I had a collection at one time, even one that was stamped with American markings and dated 1944.

People dumped a lot of Nazi stuff in the ponds, lakes and rivers after the war and some still turn up now and then.

I read up on this a bit - magnet fishing involves industrial strength magnets.

OP, I see you are in Mannheim. Quick Google search shows the city had 150 bombing raids throughout WW2.

If you have time, read this article:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/seventy-years-world-war-two-thousands-tons-unexploded-bombs-germany-180957680/

Fascinating explanation about the use of time-delayed bombs. 

My point is if you're unlucky, you'll disturb a grenade and kill yourself. If your fellow citizens are unlucky, you disturb an unexploded bomb.

As others have already said, please do something else.

Well I'm not looking to find any bombs or anything explosive. I would like to help clean up the waters by getting the metal out and possibly anything else that could have oil in it. Still my question remains if anyone knows where I can go to find out if it's allowed or not? 

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The Darwin Award is strong in this one.

And Darwin is always on my side and the force is strong in me..

42 minutes ago, smoothrider2004 said:

..and the force is strong in me..

Let me be the judge of that my young Padawan.

43 minutes ago, smoothrider2004 said:

Well I'm not looking to find any bombs or anything explosive. I would like to help clean up the waters by getting the metal out and possibly anything else that could have oil in it. Still my question remains if anyone knows where I can go to find out if it's allowed or not? 

But likely you will only pull out the odd rusty bicycle or two that might well be a home for various water life and best left to rot away where they are, most poisonous polluting metals are not magnetic.

1 hour ago, smoothrider2004 said:

The point is you don't know what you are disturbing.

2 hours ago, smoothrider2004 said:

Still my question remains if anyone knows where I can go to find out if it's allowed or not? 

If you want to do it the legally proper way: Ask the local Untere Wasserbehörde, i.e. the City of Mannheim. In addition the Untere Denkmalbehörde will have something to say about it, which luckily for you is in the same Fachbereich in Mannheim. The answer will highly depend on how you word your intentions and which waters specifically you intend to plow.

Other than that, there's plenty of people who do it at the Neckar and Rhine without asking. Just saying.

Just google "magnetangeln granate"

This is what I got: https://www.mopo.de/hamburg/polizei/alster-in-hamburg-fund-von-magnetangler-sorgt-fuer-polizeieinsatz-36550732

"Dangerous find on Easter Monday: A man angling with a magnet has found a hand grenade in the Alster in Winterhude. According to a police spokesperson, emergency forces set up a 50-metre radius around the grenade after the discovery in the afternoon. The explosive ordnance disposal service then blew up the grenade on site.

Magnet anglers use a strong magnet to search for treasure and scrap metal in rivers and ponds. The police spokesman was initially unable to say where the grenade came from on Monday evening.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

41 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Just google "magnetangeln granate"

This is what I got: https://www.mopo.de/hamburg/polizei/alster-in-hamburg-fund-von-magnetangler-sorgt-fuer-polizeieinsatz-36550732

"Dangerous find on Easter Monday: A man angling with a magnet has found a hand grenade in the Alster in Winterhude. According to a police spokesperson, emergency forces set up a 50-metre radius around the grenade after the discovery in the afternoon. The explosive ordnance disposal service then blew up the grenade on site.

Magnet anglers use a strong magnet to search for treasure and scrap metal in rivers and ponds. The police spokesman was initially unable to say where the grenade came from on Monday evening.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

That's from hamburg not mannheim

6 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The Darwin Award is strong in this one.

And Darwin is always on my side and the force is strong in me..

1 hour ago, kato said:

If you want to do it the legally proper way: Ask the local Untere Wasserbehörde, i.e. the City of Mannheim. In addition the Untere Denkmalbehörde will have something to say about it, which luckily for you is in the same Fachbereich in Mannheim. The answer will highly depend on how you word your intentions and which waters specifically you intend to plow.

Other than that, there's plenty of people who do it at the Neckar and Rhine without asking. Just saying.

Thank you for the advice 

What about fishing with dynamite? Was done by the Amis in 1945 and we kids were waiting for it to get real fish ( not the biggest one, mind you)

As for handling explosives we kids were experts in it, although the odd one got killed when careless. Funny what we did then.