Married brit in Germany 4+ years, A2 German, just quit my job

31 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, engelchen said:

Actually it is up to 12 months (and if you receive a 3 month ban it'll only be 9 months).

Ah yes, it is 24 months if you are over 58 years old. Thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Two other options: 

1.  Use upwork.com - you might be able to work remotely via online projects.   

2.  Start freelancing.    Use xing.com, gulp.de, linkedin.com.   If you are in Rostock per your profile, it will be hard to find a local project.  

Good luck. 

Yeah I don't really fancy doing freelance work. My preference is full time, and remote is fine. But, thanks for the information. I will remember it.

Also just found out the Arbeitsamt is closed to Publikumsverkehr, so I won't need to visit in person. This must be a real culture shock to some Germans.

12 hours ago, engelchen said:

Mtbiking already said that he wouldn't rent to you (and it is typical for German landlords in general). Since you have a German wife, a residence permit is not an issue you need to worry about.

Good to hear about the residence permit.

Also, our options are still currently very open regarding where we will move. One option is actually back to my wife's home town for teacher training, in which case we would move in with her retired parents (who are chill as), and use the emtpy 2nd floor of their house as an apartment.

I forgot to get a German wife as I arrived in Germany, but as a UK citizen who arrived before Brexit (fake Brexit that is) I don't think I have anything to worry about. I suspect the chances of it going ahead at the end of the year are now zero anyway.

As for renting, one option I've considered is simply offering to pay 6 months (or longer) in advance. A bit of a risk, but you could imagine that'll get some landlords attention. Alternatively there must be no end of Air BnBs sitting empty at the moment.

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

I forgot to get a German wife as I arrived in Germany, but as a UK citizen who arrived before Brexit (fake Brexit that is) I don't think I have anything to worry about.

The past couple of years, many of the Brits here have been worried about their visa status, some had problems with their employers telling them they are not sure if they can employ them after Brexit and many have applied for citizenship here so maybe you should be worried.  Have you talked to ABH here about your visa status after Brexit?

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

The past couple of years, many of the Brits here have been worried about their visa status, some had problems with their employers telling them they are not sure if they can employ them after Brexit and many have applied for citizenship here so maybe you should be worried.  Have you talked to ABH here about your visa status after Brexit?

His status is determined by the withdrawal agreement. It is very clear what's in the withdrawal agreement. The withdrawal agreement gives Brits the same rights as Germans and any company that discriminates agains Brits could find itself in trouble.

By the way brexit has already happened.

54 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I can't answer that on the grounds that I don't know what ABH is. 

There were a few weeks where there was some uncertainty about if I needed a permit, but then it all got extended and became clear. But my employer was always going to employ me whether I needed something or not. In the end I was lucky to make it here as an EU citizen; I think in the long run that could prove important and Germany, not being anti-immigrant in general, will probably give UK citizens some kind of special status. But if not I should qualify for the Blue Card.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

He status is determined by the withdrawal agreement. It is very clear what's in the withdrawal. The withdrawal agreement gives Brits the same rights as Germans and any company that discriminates agains Brits could find itself in trouble.

I seem to have missed that. Is that a mutual agreement with all of the EU or just select countries? Some Brits I know main point of Brexit was to get rid of the foreigners, including EU foreigners they believed were abusing benefits in the UK. I guess the joke is on them now.

4 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I seem to have missed that. Is that a mutual agreement with all of the EU or just select countries? Some Brits I know main point of Brexit was to get rid of the foreigners, including EU foreigners they believed were abusing benefits in the UK. I guess the joke is on them now.

All of the EU. Nothing's changed; neither in the EU or in the UK. The only difference "Brexit" has made is to remove the British representatives from the decision making processes of the EU.

21 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I can't answer that on the grounds that I don't know what ABH is. 

Ausländerbehörde--where you go to apply for your visa.

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

It is an agreement between the EU and the UK. 

Software engineers are still high in demand. Two of my friends are starting in different companies in June and July respectively.

2 minutes ago, TurMech said:

Software engineers are still high in demand. Two of my friends are starting in different companies in June and July respectively.

You know 2 people. That is the basis for your statement  "software engineers are still in high demand?"