Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My First Attempt at Making a Mask

5 posts in this topic

I decided to make my own masks for work and pleasure.  Before anyone comments that wearing masks is a waste of time, maybe this is true, but my wife’s workplace requires everyone to wear a mask of some sort.  Since the employer is not providing masks, I decided to make some for her. 

I was looking online for material and elastic banding and found Im Patchworkhimmel in Grünstadt, near Mannheim, that offers several kits for making your own washable masks.  This requires a sewing machine, or the ability to hand stitch, but since I already have a sewing machine, this was perfect.  I bought “Maskenpaket Hell”, “Maskenpaket Männer”, and 3 meters of 8mm wide elastic band.

Each kit has enough material to make 15 masks if you follow the instructions provided.  The instructions are great, but use fabric ties instead of elastic bands.  Each kit comes with an assortment of cloth for the external layer, patterned white material for the inner layer, and a felt-like material for the middle layer.

Instead of using the instructions provided, I used this video to make my masks.  I doubt I will get 15 masks out of each kit, but my target was at least 10.

Here is an image of the material cut and ready to assemble for the first mask.

49757130711_af4b592ce2_c.jpg

The sizes of the inner and outer layers are 18cm x 21 cm.  The size of the middle layer is 11.5cm x 18cm.  Each elastic band is 18cm long.  When I made my prototype, as shown in the video, I wasn’t happy with the way it didn’t form snuggly around the nose.  I added a piece of wire to the nose bridge.  I would have preferred a thin strip of aluminum, but I had to work with what I had.

Here is an image of the finished product that uses three overlapping pleats.  The overall size is 8cm x 18.5cm.

49757130666_d596307f4a_c.jpg

Here is an image of the reverse side.

49756604018_e9d6385cb3_c.jpg

This is an image of the second mask that uses a center pleated section.  The overall size is 8.5cm x 18.5cm.

49756604003_80b92cdf23_c.jpg

This is an image of the reverse side of the second mask.

49756603978_eabe996f0c_c.jpg

This is an image of the second mask extended as it will be worn, but before the wire is formed to fit the bridge of the nose.

49756603933_6b79080f42_c.jpg

2 hours ago, JG52 said:

... my wife’s workplace requires everyone to wear a mask of some sort.  Since the employer is not providing masks, I decided to make some for her. 

- boy, does she have a good husband!!!

Well done JG52, and thanks for posting!

4 hours ago, JG52 said:

I decided to make my own masks for work and pleasure.  Before anyone comments that wearing masks is a waste of time, maybe this is true, but my wife’s workplace requires everyone to wear a mask of some sort.  Since the employer is not providing masks, I decided to make some for her. 

I was looking online for material and elastic banding and found Im Patchworkhimmel in Grünstadt, near Mannheim, that offers several kits for making your own washable masks.  This requires a sewing machine, or the ability to hand stitch, but since I already have a sewing machine, this was perfect.  I bought “Maskenpaket Hell”, “Maskenpaket Männer”, and 3 meters of 8mm wide elastic band.

Each kit has enough material to make 15 masks if you follow the instructions provided.  The instructions are great, but use fabric ties instead of elastic bands.  Each kit comes with an assortment of cloth for the external layer, patterned white material for the inner layer, and a felt-like material for the middle layer.

Instead of using the instructions provided, I used this video to make my masks.  I doubt I will get 15 masks out of each kit, but my target was at least 10.

Here is an image of the material cut and ready to assemble for the first mask.

49757130711_af4b592ce2_c.jpg

The sizes of the inner and outer layers are 18cm x 21 cm.  The size of the middle layer is 11.5cm x 18cm.  Each elastic band is 18cm long.  When I made my prototype, as shown in the video, I wasn’t happy with the way it didn’t form snuggly around the nose.  I added a piece of wire to the nose bridge.  I would have preferred a thin strip of aluminum, but I had to work with what I had.

Here is an image of the finished product that uses three overlapping pleats.  The overall size is 8cm x 18.5cm.

49757130666_d596307f4a_c.jpg

Here is an image of the reverse side.

49756604018_e9d6385cb3_c.jpg

This is an image of the second mask that uses a center pleated section.  The overall size is 8.5cm x 18.5cm.

49756604003_80b92cdf23_c.jpg

This is an image of the reverse side of the second mask.

49756603978_eabe996f0c_c.jpg

This is an image of the second mask extended as it will be worn, but before the wire is formed to fit the bridge of the nose.

49756603933_6b79080f42_c.jpg

What a post! My absolute respect!🙏🏻

Well done you, JG - I have cut out two, different kind, and now can't find the sewing machine cable, which is pretty irritating. So it was particularly nice to read your post - I'm glad someone out there is getting on with it, and your wife, as Rob says, is a lucky lady.