Pause Mcfit Membership

21 posts in this topic

Does anyone on here know how I go about pausing my mcfit membership, the website is in German and I can´t seem to figure it out

here is what I found on their site, mcfit.com/de:

• Wegen den getroffenen Maßnahmen zur Eindämmung des Corona-Virus, stellen wir als Vorsichtsmaßnahme für unsere Mitglieder und Mitarbeiter den Betrieb in unseren Studios vorübergehend bis auf Weiteres ein. Wir halten euch über Änderungen über Social Media (@mcfit) und unsere Homepage auf dem Laufenden.
  • Wir werden dir am Ende deiner Mitgliedschaft die gesamte Dauer der jetzigen Schließung beitragsfrei ersetzen.

the last sentence says that at the end of your original contract period, they will compensate you for the time they were corona-closed.  So for example, if they stay corona-closed for a total of three months, and your contract ends in September, you'll get to work out until December without having to pay.  So if that's the reason for the pause, there's no need.

Apart from that--for example if you just want to know if you can pause it whenever because you're not in town or something--as far as I know, gym contracts in Germany are about as blood-sucking as phone contracts.  You can get out of your contract early if you can prove you are moving out of the country, like, with papers and stuff, other than that, you're stuck til the end.  I've not heard of anyone successfully just putting their gym membership on ice for a few months while they backpack around Vietnam, it's Not Really Done.

5 hours ago, CiaraDoran said:

, the website is in German and I can´t seem to figure it out

Are you serious?

You have never heard of Google Chrome or Google Translate.

On 9.4.2020, 20:56:16, dessa_dangerous said:

here is what I found on their site, mcfit.com/de:

the last sentence says that at the end of your original contract period, they will compensate you for the time they were corona-closed.  So for example, if they stay corona-closed for a total of three months, and your contract ends in September, you'll get to work out until December without having to pay.  So if that's the reason for the pause, there's no need.

Apart from that--for example if you just want to know if you can pause it whenever because you're not in town or something--as far as I know, gym contracts in Germany are about as blood-sucking as phone contracts.  You can get out of your contract early if you can prove you are moving out of the country, like, with papers and stuff, other than that, you're stuck til the end.  I've not heard of anyone successfully just putting their gym membership on ice for a few months while they backpack around Vietnam, it's Not Really Done.

ah ok this is very helpful thank you ! :) 

On 9.4.2020, 21:56:16, dessa_dangerous said:

I've not heard of anyone successfully just putting their gym membership on ice for a few months while they backpack around Vietnam, it's Not Really Done.

I did it back in the day. But I negotiated it before I signed a contract. It wasn´t with McFit though.

You can suspend your membership with McFit as well even now

Kann ich meine Mitgliedschaft pausieren?

Es kann natürlich immer mal vorkommen, dass du dein Training verletzungsbedingt oder aus persönlichen Gründen pausieren musst. Bei McFIT ist das überhaupt kein Problem. Bis zu neun Monate im Jahr kannst du deinen Vertrag pausieren. Die Ruhezeit kannst du am Terminal selbst beantragen oder schriftlich einreichen.

They want to refund your monthly fees at the end of the lockdown ? This will only work if they are still around to do so - i.e. if they have not filed for bankruptcy. And if they remember their promise...

Why should any member carry the risk of their insolvency ? They can deal with their landlords in order to reduce their monthly cost. They can file for Kurzarbeitergeld for their employees.

And postings on a company website have very limited meaning. They could post that your membership triples during the crisis - which would have no legal meaning whatsoever.

Finally, should they have related terms in their General Terms and Conditions: Not all terms in general terms and conditions are enforceable. Look at Sec 309 BGB for a few non-enforceable terms. Hint: Sec 309 Nr.2 a) might apply in this case.

9 minutes ago, Lenny Nero said:

They want to refund your monthly fees at the end of the lockdown ? This will only work if they are still around to do so - i.e. if they have not filed for bankruptcy. And if they remember their promise...

Why should any member carry the risk of their insolvency ? They can deal with their landlords in order to reduce their monthly cost. They can file for Kurzarbeitergeld for their employees.

And postings on a company website have very limited meaning. They could post that your membership triples during the crisis - which would have no legal meaning whatsoever.

Finally, should they have related terms in their General Terms and Conditions: Not all terms in general terms and conditions are enforceable. Look at Sec 309 BGB for a few non-enforceable terms. Hint: Sec 309 Nr.2 a) might apply in this case.

Who said anything about refunding fees? The membership is extended by the length of time they are closed due to the lockdown so if someone has a yearly membership that runs from 1st Jan - 31st Dec and the McFit gyms are closed for 2 months due to the lockdown then the membership will be extended by 2 months and will end on the 28th Feb of the following year.

They are still collecting monthly fees whilst they are closed, I personally think they should not be doing this

26 minutes ago, CiaraDoran said:

They are still collecting monthly fees whilst they are closed, I personally think they should not be doing this

They should better go bancrupt.

Oh, I forgot: McFit - the gym for stingy people

1 hour ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

It's the perfect gym for ppl who just buy membership and don't work out.  Paying 20€ not to work out beats paying 50 every time ;)

2 hours ago, CiaraDoran said:

And how are they supposed to be able to pay the rent on their gyms? They still need to pay these regardless of whether they can open to the public or not.

Personally I think they are doing all that they can. They are extending the membership for each month that they are closed, they are offering free classes online and they are giving people access to online training (Cyberobics) that they normally charge for.

If people don't like McFit then that's fine, there are plenty of other gyms to go to but you shouldn't confuse cheap prices with poor quality.

I never implied the quality was poor, I have been a memeber for nearly a year now and am very satisfied with the gym services and facilities, I am simply saying I would prefer not to be paying my membership when I am currently not even in Germany and don´t know when I will be able to return

12 minutes ago, CiaraDoran said:

I never implied the quality was poor, I have been a memeber for nearly a year now and am very satisfied with the gym services and facilities, I am simply saying I would prefer not to be paying my membership when I am currently not even in Germany and don´t know when I will be able to return

If you look further up the thread then you will see that on Wednesday I posted a excerpt from the FAQ on the McFit website saying that you can pause your membership for up to 9 months per year and it's also mentioned at https://www.mcfit.com/de/ueber-mcfitcom/faq/

Du hast die Möglichkeit deinen Mitgliedsvertrag monatsweise vom Monatsersten bis zum Monatsletzten stillzulegen (max. 9 Monate im Jahr). Dies kannst du schriftlich bei

RSG Group GmbH
Tannenberg 4
96132 Schlüsselfeld

per Fax (09552-9319-115), per Email  info(at)rsggroup.com oder über den Login-Bereich auf dieser Webseite beantragen.

Bei Inanspruchnahme einer Ruhezeit verlängert sich die Vertragslaufzeit um die Monate der Stilllegung.

5 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

If you look further up the thread then you will see that on Wednesday I posted a excerpt from the FAQ on the McFit website saying that you can pause your membership for up to 9 months per year and it's also mentioned at https://www.mcfit.com/de/ueber-mcfitcom/faq/

It's definitely not possible via the website itself (login Bereich), even though they say it is

On 4/16/2020, 1:29:14, AnswerToLife42 said:

I know this is an old thread but really this is not true!

Most "expensive" gyms offer a lot less in terms of equipment and are no cleaner or better maintained compared to chain gyms like Cleverfit, McFit etc.

Also, the weights generally go up to about the amount that a 12-year-old girl lifts!! At least when you go to a stingy gym the people look like they lift weights and keep fit and not like geriatrics. Sure you can support some independent gym for 75€ a month for a piece of free fruit and get a free workout program they copied online but really is that worth an extra 50€ more a month!

Plenty of people go to my gym that drive BMW's and Audi's but maybe that is why they do as they don't spend a lame amount on expensive out of date gyms.

We have been supporting our gym through all of this because we want it to be around when it's over, though that day seems a long way off.  Yeah, it's 75 bucks a month, but it's practically on our doorstep, has a fabulous sauna, huge pool, great equipment, as well as competent, well-trained staff who give inspiring workouts.  I go past McFits and think sure, you can spend less, but you get what you pay for.  

5 hours ago, silty1 said:

I go past McFits and think sure, you can spend less, but you get what you pay for.  

I´d be very happy to pay double the price for a gym in which the staff will do the workouts for me while I´m slurping my protein shake. Any recommendations?