Vodafone exasperation, getting out of a contract

23 posts in this topic

I've just found out that a few months back my contract with Kabel Vodafone renewed automatically for another 2 years (after 2 years since I started it) but that they increased the price 10 € with no notification whatsoever. Conditions stayed the same of course, I'm just paying more. I'm not sure how they're allowed to do this shit, never was ever mentioned to me that this would happen from the 25th month or I was given the option to choose a different tariff before the renewal.

I tend to double check everything but they seem to always get me anyways, somehow they always find a way to get more money out of you.

Is there anything at all that can be done in this situation? Seems to me like I'm now locked in in another 2 years contract, just paying more for the same shitty internet...

yeah fair :-) But I didn't really forget to cancel, would have kept that tariff I had before since at least it was cheap. Now it's not even that..

Could it be that you had a special offer two years ago that increased when the contract extended?  Normally Vodafone monthly bills decreases a wee bit each time a contract is extended.  Go online and look at which tarif you currently have.  One can change plans online and either increase or decrease the monthly rate.  Does not go automatically into effect.  I believe you are able to do that once during the life of a Vodafone contract.  

I've been with Vodafone now for 21 years.  They have bothered me to no end.  A few years ago, I made friends with a lad in Munich who owns two shops.  I contact him each time for contract renewal for both the kabel/ festnetz and my mobile.  He works to get me the best rates with little headache.  All he's ever asked for is online reviews.  I also had a good view of a Vodafone shop in Frankfurt back in 2010.  I have learned to shop around for Vodafone shops and find a good salesperson to assist.  Ringing Vodafone main offices or online questions do FA.  Seems Vodafone is better using old school methods. 

Thanks for the reply, yeah that's probably what happened. I can't seem to find a way to verify that though, online I can only see that I have the same tariff as I've had before, it's just more expensive since July, as in from the 25ht month . I can't seem to find the contract anywhere online, with all the conditions etc. Obviously this increase was never mentioned when I negotiated the conditions on the phone (now 2 and half years ago).

I have learned the hard way to cancel all long-term contracts in Germany right after I sign. You can always extend them later if you still want to keep them.

This is the wrong way of doing it:

Signing the contract and then telling yourself you'll remember in two years to cancel it.

This is the right way of doing it:

Signing the contract and sending the "Kündigung" RIGHT AWAY. Then putting a note in your calendar to extend it two years in the future if you want to.

What's happened to you has happened to me and everyone in Germany. 

2 hours ago, markfusara said:

I'm Seems to me like I'm now locked in in another 2 years contract, just paying more for the same shitty internet...

You need to check that as I thought the rules had changed to 1 year

From Vodafone

Hast Du bis 3 Monate vor dem Ende der Laufzeit nichts an Deinem Vertrag geändert, verlängert er sich automatisch um 1 Jahr.

4 minutes ago, Smaug said:

What's happened to you has happened to me and everyone in Germany. 

Never ever happened to me.

4 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

You need to check that as I thought the rules had changed to 1 year

yeah but mine was renewed for 2 apparently since what I get is:

Vertragsbeginn:

Frühestmögliches Vertragsende:

Letztmöglicher Kündigungseingang bis:

So in June 2019 it was extended til June 2021..

I knew it would expire but I was fine with it renewing, I just didn't know that it would get more expensive, I'm not sure where it's supposed to say that and it was definitely not said to me at the time. I have another contract at the studio with 1&1 and that on for instance just renewed itself for another 12 months and the price stayed the same.. just what you would expect..

You want a better deal?

Cancel it now then as it nears the contract end you'll get all sorts of amazing offers from them to renew. Maybe even sooner.

do try to get ahold of them, but it's probably as BayrischDude said.  As a Vodafone customer myself I am always on the lookout for a better deal (ha) (ha); sometimes I get ads from Vodafone themselves.  The last one looked decent!  And then in itsy bitsy print was the shameless disclaimer that the price would increase by 250% at the end of a certain amount of time, I don't even know if that amount of time was actually the contract length--no, thinking about it now, it wasn't.  It was like, really good and cheap for a year, then the second year would go up in price dramatically.  It's just plain deceitful.  Obviously the end price of all the months averaged up wasn't so great.  Always gotta read that fine print!

Like dessa said, usually these things will have a small print saying that this is the price for the first x months and then it goes up.  Plenty of people don't know about the auto renewal clause because usually you don't have that in other countries.  Germans know about it but it's usually hidden in the small print or the AGB's.  Like Smaug says, if you want to be safe, cancel shortly after you've made the contract and before it expires, they will be making you offers to stay or you find a better offer yourself.

Vodafone in Germany are a total nightmare IMO...I'm surprised how they get away with their draconian contracts and attitude.

Maybe some people read every tiny line of the contract when they sign up to their internet, but for a new person in the country or a non-German speaker it feels like they're intentionally trying to catch you out.

I would never ever use them again!

In your case I would hit them hard with calls and letters of complaints, along the lines that you weren't made aware of this at the time of signing up, were out of the country at the time of renewing etc.etc....In the end they'll probably buckle, but it will take some work and extreme persistence. Good luck.

Yeah I get it that it's in the fine prints, it's just sneaky the way they do things. Why something should go up after 2 years? It makes no sense. It's usually the opposite, you get better offers / faster internet as time goes by. I would have never imagined the price going up after 2 years, therefore did not cancel. Surely it's my fault for not checking, but they also did not bother telling me.

Anyways, yeah next time I will just cancel right after signing, it's still amazing the shit they get away with.

11 minutes ago, markfusara said:

Yeah I get it that it's in the fine prints, it's just sneaky the way they do things. Why something should go up after 2 years? It makes no sense.

It's actually common here.  You get the customer with the good offer and then it goes up.  Looking at vodafone offers for my address, I get this:

vodafone1.jpg.dab6dd9459f02e9e3088a59ac2

So as you see, it clearly says 19.99 for 24 months, minimum contract duration 24 months, order fee 69.99, free delivery and then a link to small print (Produktinformationsblatt).  The small print says this:

vodafone2.jpg.b678dc82be0f1ec6e4344eef31

So minimum contract 24 months, notice period 3 months and below it says may be cancelled to the end of the minimum duration, when not cancelled with proper notice is automatically extended for 12 months.

There is also a star by the 19.99€.  If you click on that, you get this:

vodafone3.jpg.e05bee06b5e889c1ed2de3e255

So a lot more detailed info and here is says that there is a delivery fee although the first ad said there isn't and it also says that the notice period is 12 weeks, not 3 months and must be in written form.  So if I were to cancel a contract like this, I would definitely do it in written form and with at least 3 months notice.

Also keep in mind that written form in Germany generally means on paper with a signature.  Fax is usually also accepted but email may not be.  When in doubt, always send on paper per post.

Actually this is a better offer than the internet I have now, even with the higher price after 2 years but I have to think about whether I can be bothered to change providers.

I had a surprisingly fun chat with a dude from mobilcom because I was keen to kundige a spare contract which had happened accidentally  - he ended up cancelling that one, having ascertained it was unwanted, and cutting my other one, which I do want, down to 9,99 a month for the stuff he can see I actually use. So come November/December, I will have a nice lean phone thing. Win/win - that was the Kundigung dude, who, as Malty says, has The Power.

21 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

you'll get all sorts of amazing offers from them to renew

1 hour ago, markfusara said:

I would have never imagined the price going up after 2 years

We were moving house and taking our Telekom number with us. In the shop, she laid out costs for various options of contracts etc, and I pointed to an offer on the wall, way better than anything she was offering, and she explained that only new customers were entitled to that one - at which point I did say that long standing customers should get recognition, which to be fair to her, she completely understood and was a bit embarrassed about - it does seem very obvious when you move from anywhere where customers are not just an inconvenience, but hey. The thing you have had is even worse because it's sly, as Dessa says.

4 minutes ago, kiplette said:

We were moving house and taking our Telekom number with us. In the shop, she laid out costs for various options of contracts etc, and I pointed to an offer on the wall, way better than anything she was offering, and she explained that only new customers were entitled to that one - at which point I did say that long standing customers should get recognition, which to be fair to her, she completely understood and was a bit embarrassed about

My last transfer was from Kabel D/Vodafone to Telekom.  I got a good offer as a new customer but after waiting for a month to get hooked up I asked what the problem was.  Turned out that because I opted to take my number with me, they had to wait for Kabel D to release it.  If I'd opted for a new number, I could get hooked up right away.  So I said fine, give me a new number then. However, then they said I would have to pay extra 50€ installation fee because now I was just a garden variety new customer instead of a transferring customer.  So I opted to wait.  In the end, it took 3 months, 2 for Kabel D to release my number and 1 more after that for Telekom to hook me up.

Oh for goodness sake, it's as though they have exceptions lined up ready to exclude people from their good offers.

The renewing contract thing still does my head in.

Last year I moved house. I'd been with 1&1 for years and they offered me a very good deal to stay with them which meant signing up for a new 2y contract.

I'm happy,

Malty.

On 8.4.2020, 14:41:57, markfusara said:

yeah but mine was renewed for 2 apparently since what I get is:

Vertragsbeginn:

Frühestmögliches Vertragsende:

Letztmöglicher Kündigungseingang bis:

So in June 2019 it was extended til June 2021..

Don't forget there is a 12 week notice period. So it's possible you started a 24 months contract in 2017 (i.e. to 2019), then it renewed for 12 months in 2019 (to 2020) and then it renewed again for 12 months in 2020 (to 2021).

So then you possibly paid the 10 Euro extra since 20.06.2019 already without noticing?