Job contract shortened before started

8 posts in this topic

Hello there, 

i got a job offer as software developer from a university few months ago and supposed to start working from April. It was a fixed-term ( 1 year) contract proposal. But I could not start it because of bureaucratic problem in Auslanderbehorde in extending my Blue Card. Now I have got clearance from Auslanderbehorde which issued a document as work permit. When I submitted the document to the HR of the university, they shortened my job contract to 4 months citing uncertainty of the current pandemic. Initial proposal was for 1 year. Now what should I do ? Is it normal to change the contract period before even starting the job ?

We are in the middle of a pandemia, so nothing is normal.

16 hours ago, Imra said:

When I submitted the document to the HR of the university, they shortened my job contract to 4 months citing uncertainty of the current pandemic. Initial proposal was for 1 year. Now what should I do ?

Sign the contract? What other options do you think you have? Would you prefer to be unemployed at the moment? 

Software developers can do home office. Nevertheless If a renowned public university does not take responsibility of its employees, what type of organization should we choose in next job search ?

7 minutes ago, Imra said:

Software developers can do home office. Nevertheless If a renowned public university does not take responsibility of its employees, what type of organization should we choose in next job search ?

I completely see your point. You have many other options and I wouldn't like to work in such a place, where they can't stand by their words.

I did a quick search and found lots of software development jobs, just start applying now and forget about them!

Worst case just take the job and as soon as you get something else just leave!

51 minutes ago, Imra said:

You're not an employee (at least not yet).

You're probably quite lucky they're still offering 4 months. That means they still have the need, and probably in 4 months things will look a lot more certain and it'll get extended. 

I had to relocate to a new city to join there and work for only 4 months