Lockdown 2020 Movie Recommendations

66 posts in this topic

We watched the 80s classic- The Breakfast club yesterday on Netflix.

Sky- We finished Stephen Kings "The Outsider"

Was also pretty good.

Apparently Phantom of the Opera is on YouTube. I'll be watching that next.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINQjT7Zr9w

Over the last couple days I've been watching a Prime series called Indian Summers, set in Simla, India, during the Raj, with themes of Indian insurrection and calls for Independence. It's pretty good, and right up my street.

6 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Apparently Phantom of the Opera is on YouTube. I'll be watching that next.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINQjT7Zr9w

Over the last couple days I've been watching a Prime series called Indian Summers, set in Simla, India, during the Raj, with themes of Indian insurrection and calls for Independence. It's pretty good, and right up my street.

Phantom of the Opera was FABULOUS. It left me in tears. It's a special Andrew Lloyd Webber production and well worth the couple of hours. First rate entertainment at the Royal Albert Hall, London.

Here some ideas reported by the BBC - worldwide series available

on certain streaming services : 

BBC : Here are 11 shows to watch in quarantine that will uplift or distract you, while also opening your mind and heart to other cultures.

A third of the world’s population is now living in lockdown with the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, searching for hope and ways to connect – but also just something to do besides follow the news. When watching TV to fill our time, we can also build our empathy with other countries going through the same thing: closed borders don’t apply to culture. 

Time to try something different ?

4 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Here some ideas reported by the BBC - worldwide series available

on certain streaming services : 

BBC : Here are 11 shows to watch in quarantine that will uplift or distract you, while also opening your mind and heart to other cultures.

Time to try something different ?

I've seen Meet my Agent. It's very good. And you can refresh your school French.

When you've already had a few and don't want serious plots - just a laugh.

Nicht Nachmachen ("Don't do this" or "Don't try this at home")

There are 2 series @ 8 episodes.

You don't need to understand German to understand the slapstick...

eg filling a waterbed to bursting point with a fire hose,

or attaching firework rockets to a rotating washing line 

ZDF Mediathek has it too.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) based on the Pulitzer Prize nominated novel by Betty Smith. Keep a box of kleenex handy to dab your eyes while viewing the story of an Irish American family living in a tenement house in Brooklyn. Singing waiter papa is a talented, charming, imaginative, happy go lucky alcoholic often out of work; mama brings in the steady income by scrubbing floors and stairs; daughter Francie believes the dreams her father weaves (or wants to believe them) and aspires to a better life; son Neeley is a street smart boy who sees the reality of their precarious lives (rich on dreams, low on hard cash). In step a few angles in the form of a wonderful school teacher, policeman Office McShane who notices the family has troubles and wants to help, beautiful Aunt Sissy, and McGaritty the restaurant owner.  

We watched "Dangerous Lies" on Netflix yesterday. It was really good. I recommend it.

Below is the trailer- *Warning! Contains a few spoilers!*

A great one to watch is the Battle Star Galactica series. I highly recommend it. One of the best series ever made.

I don't watch any series since 2 decades or so (I "missed" the whole zombie shit :)), but I watched all episodes of Battlestar Galactica in the late 1970s with Lorne Greene and Dirk Benedict (The A-Team). Loved that as a kid.

Recently, I watch classic movies like Three Days of the Condor with Robert Redford or Moonraker with Roger Moore and Jaws.

Not sure if you get the same films on prime in Germany as you do in the UK, but we've just watched 21 Bridges and it was a great film. The lead character is Chadwick Boseman who played Black Panther.

https://g.co/kgs/pVKGsx

I am only putting this in because my wife told me she has never seen an Almodovar film and I cannot believe it. 

Do whatever you have to do to see Almodovar's films.

I don't care what it takes.

He has never failed.

If you understand Spanish, yay for you as well, but subtitles are fine.

Dear god, how do people not know Almodovar? 

7 hours ago, AlexTr said:

I am only putting this in because my wife told me she has never seen an Almodovar film and I cannot believe it. 

He has never failed.

I loved Volvar and All about my mother.  Fine with sub-titles.  But, I did find some of his films difficult.

Just rented Downton Abby from Amazon.de only 99 cents, didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did, well done.

Not around yet on NetFlix but I reckon Toytown 2020 could make an enthralling movie! Just imagine someone analysing all the posts on all the threads!😂

10 hours ago, AlexTr said:

He has never failed.

If you haven't watch it I recommend you La Piel que Habito (The Skin I live in).  It is not traditional Almodovar, but it is brutal.  Of course Antonio Banderas is the main character.