Lockdown 2020 Movie Recommendations

66 posts in this topic

Netflix 'Doomsday Preppers'

Around 8 years old.  They end each episode with 'the scenario expected by xxx is unlikely to happen according to experts so and so'.

Odd feeling as some of them are prepping for an economic crisis.

And of course armed looters...

7 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I started watching Pandemic on NF last night and I must say it is pretty interesting, especially at this time.

I watched the first episode. It's almost prophetic at the beginning, isn't it -- it's as if it was made last week!

I'll be watching more episodes for sure.

5 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Netflix 'Doomsday Preppers'

Around 8 years old.  They end each episode with 'the scenario expected by xxx is unlikely to happen according to experts so and so'.

Odd feeling as some of them are prepping for an economic crisis.

And of course armed looters...

I started it on your recommendation. It seemed sensible at first -- I do believe in growing your own and a sustainable lifestyle, and my family has plans to

one day have a little farm, grow veggies, and keep chickens -- my daughter already does some of that.

But when they started with the guns and keeping everyone else out and "I'll shoot anyone who comes near" -- that's when I switched off,

56 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

But when they started with the guns and keeping everyone else out and "I'll shoot anyone who comes near" -- that's when I switched off,

Perhaps I should have posted in the "Only in America" thread.

Growing your own is always a good idea, if you have the space, knowledge and capability.

The gun stuff just reminds me not to stay in the US for too long in the future.

After all, it's only entertainment for the long evenings without guests and 

can easily be swtiched to the next episode.

eg    The guy converting an abandoned missile silo complex (abandonded in 1965 !) into

a habitat would in itself be interesting - but Netflix have to change it to a Paarship advert.

Would you ever go 20m underground with a stranger (and film crew) after 

being driven blindfold to the site? 

Just missed a chance to buy a silo

Well, I was sick of all the doomsday and war videos I'd been watching so I looked for something warmhearted, funny, light, romantic.

I'm very hard to please and if something is fluffy/corny/unfunny/trying too hard/has Adam Sandler in it, I leave after five minutes. I left quite a few movies in the last couple days. Then last night I found Love Marriage Repeat, and really enjoyed it. I suppose it's because I am myself heartily sick of daft twats interrupting serious conversations! Story of my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6CyqhYsLqo

On 4/4/2020, 7:38:28, arunadasi said:

Vincent D'Onofrio (whom I'd never heard of before)

If you like his performance here (I haven't seen the movie you're referring to), check out:

- Full Metal Jacket

- The Cell

2 hours ago, Malcolm Spudbury said:

If you like his performance here (I haven't seen the movie you're referring to), check out:

- Full Metal Jacket

- The Cell

No I don't think so -- those genres are not for me!

Light-hearted and romantic - a Christmas flick, Mixed Nuts (Steve Martin, Rita Wilson, Juliette Lewis, Anthony LaPaglia).

Romantic end-of-the-world no-way-out subdued apocalyptic flick, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (Steve Carell , Keira Knightley, Martin Sheen).

Light-hearted animated comedy with animals, Over the Hedge (voices: Wm Shatner, Nick Nolte, Bruce Willis).

Tin Man, retelling the Wizard of Oz story in a dystopian future (Zooey Duschanel, Alan Cummings, Richard Dreyfuss). 

Last night we saw "The Kingsman" was on TV, as we wanted to see it in English we searched and found it on Netflix! It was a really good film.

I watched Ocean's 8 last night. It was pretty good. It lacked the development of Ocean's 11, but so did the rest of the franchise. It was a good chill out movie with pretty, witty women. HBC killed and needed more lines.

We also watched Bad Moms 2. It's ok. Not as funny as the first one, but you aren't going to break your head on it.

I watched Passage to Marseilles on AMZN. As good as I remember. Little Caesar is available as well. I watched it again.

Other movies we've recently watched:

Carol - outstanding and heartbreaking.

Where'd you go, Bernadette?  - a bit convoluted, but good.

Manhattan Murder Mystery - funny as ever, but hard to watch WA now.

Late Night - good, but could have been great. 

Birdman - great, but not for everyone. I loved it. Wife was baffled.

Something different. In the UK, ITV has a show called Quiz, which is a dramatisation of the story about that guy who won £1000000 on Who Wants to be a Millionaire by cheating, his wife coughing in the audience. I'm quite  a fan of the show, both in the UK and Germany. I haven't got a TV, but I was able to love into the ITV website and watch it on catch up. It's pretty riveting! Next episode is tonight. You get to see a bit of background to the show, how it was green-lighted etc and how the producers caught on to the cheating.
Can't wait for Part 2! I don't know if you can watch it in Germany, though. Maybe not.

Series 3 "Westworld" on Sky. It is amazing. I really recommend it! At the moment Series 1 and 2 are on demand as well!