Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lounge chairs and potted plants on unused terrace with window access?

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm renting a first-floor apartment in a building that is not block-shaped: the ground floor is bigger than the rest of the floors. This means my bedroom windows and the bedroom windows of a neighbor have access to a sort of terrace. There is no railing, and it has gravel on it. No one is currently using it, but it has holes on the side where I guess one could fix railing.

Who would I have to ask for permission to put a couple of lounge chairs there and some potted plants +/- railing, except for the neighbor with window access to the same terrace?

Is it possible for the owner to ask for extra money for using it?

P.S. Previous tenants have definitely made use of it: they left an umbrella stand there--but I'm not sure whether they did so legally.

P.P.S. From this post, it seems I would have to ask all other tenants and the owner--but I'm planning to make smaller changes than the ones mentioned here: https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/379524-regulations-turning-your-balcony-into-a-wintergarden/

3 hours ago, Spaetzlein said:

would I have to ask for permission to put a couple of lounge chairs there and some potted plants

has it come to this?

5 hours ago, catjones said:

has it come to this?

Well yes, but hey, it passes the time....

Often those kinds of roofs (funny way of saying "sort of terrace") aren't really meant for extra weight on them, but it depends what it's all made from. What's under the gravel? I would definitely ask the person living underneath, as I doubt they are going to want hear the thudding and crunch-crunch-crunch of you walking on their ceiling (and yea, it's different inside a flat). And the landlord, of course. This being Germany, insurance factors in somewhere.

A few discrete flower pots or planters close to the window is probably no big deal, but an entire patio set is probably pushing it.

I wouldn't offer to pay extra money, just keep mum on that. If the landlord raises it, fine you're willing, but why offer? It's certainly not part of the measured usable space of the apartment, which your rent is based on.

I agree with Fraufruit, ask your landlord.  But I also agree with Alderhill, the roof surface is not intended as a patio.  There might be holes for a railing, but that railing probably isn't there because no deck has been built on the roof.

What Fraufruit said.

To those thinking it's not biggie: There are some roofs where the gravel covers a waterproof lining. If it is stepped on constantly, it might damage the liner and water might get into the ceiling and drip into somebodies apartment. Worst case: The damage is already done and it has been seeping through and you get blamed for it.

There might be a reason the place wasn't advertised as having a roof terrace. @alderhillnormally 50 % of m² of balconies or terraces count towards the living area and are paid for. I still wouldn't offer though. Just be aware that it would be well within reason of them to ask…