Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

any car mechanic opened now?

35 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

This.  I swap tires myself, and it is not yet time to do so IMO.  It is still cold at night and in the morning.  My advice - wait until the minimum temperature each day is consistently 8C.  For my area, that is next week at the earliest.

Seems next week we'll be hit with 20+ degrees 

2 hours ago, xcxvt said:

I'm not following.

Germans have one saying about changing tires to remember when to do it.  Oktober bis Ostern.  October to Easter.

7 minutes ago, xcxvt said:

Seems next week we'll be hit with 20+ degrees 

If you have an essential job or need to go shopping, visit the apotheke or do something essential then drive a little slower and allow a longer distance between you and the car in front.

If you haven't got anything essential to do then stay at home, simple, you might save a life.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Germans have one saying about changing tires to remember when to do it.  Oktober bis Ostern.  October to Eastern.

Aye, how often have we all seen great weather into April-ish then snow over Easter?

October to Easter for winter tyres, change to summer ones after Easter.

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

But this is normal, you have to replace the damaged tire and potentially the one on the other side.    You are not allowed to drive in the autobahn with a "repaired" tire in most cases.   

And tires are not so expensive anymore, something from 50 EUR for decent tires.  Except if you ride on 20 inches low profiles from stylish designer brands.

But yes, there is some inconvenience. 

Not if you have a spare wheel/tyre which would be the same as the one on the other side. A single tyre replacement (same type might be found by shopping round) or repair (still OK for emergencies)  and everything is good again.

Not sure where you buy your tyres from but in both cases the ones for my wife's Fiat Punto cost over €100 each. If you have a flat and the car gets taken to the nearest service station you do not have a chance to shop around! It is a rip off I know but with no spare you have no choice!

2 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Not if you have a spare wheel/tyre which would be the same as the one on the other side.

The wear will be too different and it is recommended to change both.

2 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

A repaired spare could then just be available for emergencies.

Not sure where you buy your tyres from but in both cases the ones for my wife's Fiat Punto cost over €100 each. If you have a flat and the car gets taken to the nearest service station you do not have a chance to shop around!

I buy from my normal garage.  I stopped buying expensive ones long time ago because the cheap ones are good enough nowadays, I have Matador tires in one car, which is a sub-brand from Continental, and I think Hankook in the other one.

Of course if you do not say anything they will sell you Dunlop, Continental, Pirelli, GY, Michelin, etc.

32 minutes ago, Krieg said:

The wear will be too different and it is recommended to change both.

I buy from my normal garage.  I stopped buying expensive ones long time ago because the cheap ones are good enough nowadays, I have Matador tires in one car, which is a sub-brand from Continental, and I think Hankook in the other one.

Of course if you do not say anything they will sell you Dunlop, Continental, Pirelli, GY, Michelin, etc.

Firstly if you change to winter tyres each year then you would have the opportunity to rotate the spare in when changing back to summer tyres to keep the wear even. Secondly flats are not confined to worn tyres it can happen on the newest, both cases on our Punto were a puncture with a wood screw on relatively new tyres with plenty of tread left on them.

Yes if your tyres are well worn then it would be optimal to replace both but again you would have the chance to shop round for a good deal.

Faced with a "We have these 2 here for €100+ (and they were not particularly well known make) or we can try and order some slightly cheaper ones for next week" after travelling 50km journey to reach where the car was left, what would you do???

Folks,

Maybe I misunderstood the situation:  Is the OP just changing rims and tires with rims and tires he has on hand?  Or is he removing the existing tires from the rims and mounting/balancing new tires on the rims?  If it's the later, then yes, it is a major undertaking.  If that were the case, I would have a set of tires already mounted on rims ready to change when ever needed.  That would be a much cheaper alternative.  

S.

Somehow, the rest of the world gets along with all season tries.

To the OP: just buy a new car...it'll be easier and probably cheaper.

9 hours ago, Shenandoah said:

Folks,

Maybe I misunderstood the situation:  Is the OP just changing rims and tires with rims and tires he has on hand?  Or is he removing the existing tires from the rims and mounting/balancing new tires on the rims?  If it's the later, then yes, it is a major undertaking.  If that were the case, I would have a set of tires already mounted on rims ready to change when ever needed.  That would be a much cheaper alternative.  

S.

No I have 8x wheels in total, 4x with summer tyres and 4x with winter tyres so I just need to swap them out :)

Should be a 20-30 min job for a garage.

24 minutes ago, xcxvt said:

No I have 8x wheels in total, 4x with summer tyres and 4x with winter tyres so I just need to swap them out :)

I used to change my own tires using the wimpy jack that came with the car.  When I bought a new car 3 years ago, I got all season tires and don't regret it.

If you want to change your own tires and don't have street space, you can do it in a baumarkt parking lot.  They are closed anyway.

12 minutes ago, LeonG said:

When I bought a new car 3 years ago, I got all season tires and don't regret it.

Thats what we did 2 years ago when we bought 2 "Tageszulassung" new cars from our local Toyota dealer.

Had to pay to have the (Summer) tires removed (this was January) & all-season tires installed but we saved the hassel of having

to buy winter tires (& the rims for them) & also no changing twice a year.  We live in flat Schleswig-Holstein where

snow & ice are rare.  The situation is different if one lives in hilly areas where snowfall is common.

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Thats what we did 2 years ago when we bought 2 "Tageszulassung" new cars from our local Toyota dealer.

Had to pay to have the (Summer) tires removed (this was January) & all-season tires installed but we saved the hassel of having

to buy winter tires (& the rims for them) & also no changing twice a year.  We live in flat Schleswig-Holstein where

snow & ice are rare.  The situation is different if one lives in hilly areas where snowfall is common.

But other than the cost of changing (if you don't do it yourself) and the rims how much have you really saved bearing in mind you now only have 4 tyres to wear out rather than 8?

Also all season tyres are basically too soft for the warmest summers and too hard for the colder winters, so to my mind not the best option.

3 hours ago, xcxvt said:

xcxvt,

That shouldn't be too difficult of a job to do then, since you're just swapping rims/tires.  I'd rather do the job myself and save the money.  If I were in Berlin at the moment, I'd offer to come over and help you do the job.  

S.

25 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

But other than the cost of changing (if you don't do it yourself) and the rims how much have you really saved bearing in mind you now only have 4 tyres to wear out rather than 8?

Also all season tyres are basically too soft for the warmest summers and too hard for the colder winters, so to my mind not the best option.

You save on hassle basically.  It's like bummer, that time again, have to take some time to change my tires or get it down to a shop and have them do it.  Maybe you had something else planned, even if it's just laying on the couch and watching Netflix.

Then it's a question of how much hassle exactly. If you have a garage, it's less because you can store your tires there and either change them yourself in the driveway or put them straight in your car to drive to the shop.  If you don't have a driveway or even a designated parking space close to your house, it would mean you carry the tires one by one up or down the stairs, roll or carry them to and from your car wherever it's parked, then drive them to a location where you can change them yourself or to a shop and then back again. 

You could of course find a shop that will store your tires for you.  ATU offers this for 7.50 per tire per season so 60€ per year.  However, if you'd had your tires stored at ATU right now, you wouldn't be changing them right now because ATU would have your tires and they are closed.