Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

any car mechanic opened now?

35 posts in this topic

non essential businesses are closed, I know that, but does anyone here know any car shop that might swap out a pair of winter tires for summer ones?

Or maybe some place that has tools so I can do it myself?

I have the tools, but they are working on our street and it is possible park outside only after 5pm and then it might be tight the space.  Maybe on the weekend could be easier if you do not find anything else before.   I live in Reinickendorf.

Pit Stop is open and they give priority to critical fast things, so maybe you could just pop in one and ask them if they could do it on the spot.  Or call them before going there.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

I have the tools, but they are working on our street and it is possible park outside only after 5pm and then it might be tight the space.  Maybe on the weekend could be easier if you do not find anything else before.   I live in Reinickendorf.

Pit Stop is open and they give priority to critical fast things, so maybe you could just pop in one and ask them if they could do it on the spot.  Or call them before going there.

I called them and they can only do it in 2 weeks time so if it's fine with you, I'd like to take you up on your offer. Alternatively, I can also drive to your place, pick you up and bring you back at my place, do the work and then drive you back. would that also be an option for you or?

Well, the tools are not cheap, we are talking about a few hundred EUR.   You can come here on Saturday afternoon and do it here on the street if you want.

Check how to use floor jack and a torque wrench and where the jacking points of your car are before coming.  I prefer to minimize contact and communication for obvious reasons.

Let me know and I send you the address via PM.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

Well, the tools are not cheap, we are talking about a few hundred EUR.   You can come here on Saturday afternoon and do it here on the street if you want.

Check how to use floor jack and a torque wrench and where the jacking points of your car are before coming.  I prefer to minimize contact and communication for obvious reasons.

Let me know and I send you the address via PM.

what time?

This is good practice:. Pretend you have a flat tire and need to change it. You should have everything in the trunk to do this. Multiply by four and you have saved yourself some money and practiced/learned something useful. Be careful. 

S.

7 hours ago, Shenandoah said:

This is good practice:. Pretend you have a flat tire and need to change it. You should have everything in the trunk to do this. Multiply by four and you have saved yourself some money and practiced/learned something useful. Be careful. 

S.

Some well-intentioned advice; however, many cars are equipped with Run On Flat tires, and thus are not equipped with tools to change them.

There are even lots of cars (such as mine) with regular tires that do not come with a spare tire or tools.

In the past 20 years in Germany I had one flat tire and I called ADAC and they towed my car home.   I would say that most cars made in the last 10 years do not even carry a spare around anymore.

50 minutes ago, Krieg said:

In the past 20 years in Germany I had one flat tire and I called ADAC and they towed my car home.   I would say that most cars made in the last 10 years do not even carry a spare around anymore.

Very true but not having a spare and tools is costly and a real nuisance!

The car my wife uses to commute to work has no spare tyre or tools and in the last 5 years it has had 2 flats both at night and requiring an ADAC rescue with the car having to be left overnight at a service place for fixing the following day i.e. extremely inconvenient. On both occasions they could not match the tyre so both on the axel had to be replaced at much additional cost, add to that the cost over the years of having summer and winter tyre changes and it seems to me that not supplying a spare and tools is a very big rip off!

yes, this is all very true. I have no spare tyre and also have no jack or torque wrench. I do have a compressor and that liquid thing they give you in case you have a puncture (which btw is totally useless if you have anything bigger than a puncture). I do have runflats though

11 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

On both occasions they could not match the tyre so both on the axel had to be replaced at much additional cost

But this is normal, you have to replace the damaged tire and potentially the one on the other side.    You are not allowed to drive in the autobahn with a "repaired" tire in most cases.   

And tires are not so expensive anymore, something from 50 EUR for decent tires.  Except if you ride on 20 inches low profiles from stylish designer brands.

But yes, there is some inconvenience. 

41 minutes ago, Krieg said:

But this is normal, you have to replace the damaged tire and potentially the one on the other side.    You are not allowed to drive in the autobahn with a "repaired" tire in most cases.   

And tires are not so expensive anymore, something from 50 EUR for decent tires.  Except if you ride on 20 inches low profiles from stylish designer brands.

But yes, there is some inconvenience. 

also garages will refuse to mount tyres that do not officially match your rim according to some law or the manufacturer -- happened to me

On 01/04/2020, 10:06:57, xcxvt said:

non essential businesses are closed, I know that, but does anyone here know any car shop that might swap out a pair of winter tires for summer ones?

Or maybe some place that has tools so I can do it myself?

Changing your winter tyres for summer is not exactly essential?

20 hours ago, xcxvt said:

I called them and they can only do it in 2 weeks time so if it's fine with you, I'd like to take you up on your offer. Alternatively, I can also drive to your place, pick you up and bring you back at my place, do the work and then drive you back. would that also be an option for you or?

Are you for real, why would anyone want to risk having such close contact with someone they don't even know from Adam.

Just wait till the current situation improves and change your Winter tyres then, it is not an offence to drive on Winter tyres.

3 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Changing your winter tyres for summer is not exactly essential?

Are you for real, why would anyone want to risk having such close contact with someone they don't even know from Adam.

Just wait till the current situation improves and change your Winter tyres then, it is not an offence to drive on Winter tyres.

you start off by claiming that changing the winter tyres for summer tyres is essential but you end up doing a complete 180; which one is it dude?

Actually, you can run on winter tyres with no problem.  The only downside is that they will wear a big faster.  But we are not supposed to be driving so much except if you are doing something essential.    I see @Sir Percy B point (his first sentence has a typo and should not be a question, I guess).

@Krieg it was a question, I was clearly questioning the fact that changing winter for summer is not exactly an essential thing to do given the current situation.

Well, in that case I guess it is not really essential.   As I said, you can run your car on winter tires with no big downfall AFAIK.  The other way around would be totally different.

The OP was offered a two weeks appointment, and considering we are at the beginning of April and the temperature outside is still low, it is not that bad.

36 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

If you are going to change them wait until after Easter.

Oktober bis Ostern.

I'm not following.

25 minutes ago, Krieg said:

The OP was offered a two weeks appointment, and considering we are at the beginning of April and the temperature outside is still low, it is not that bad.

This.  I swap tires myself, and it is not yet time to do so IMO.  It is still cold at night and in the morning.  My advice - wait until the minimum temperature each day is consistently 8C.  For my area, that is next week at the earliest.