Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Steuererklärung fee für small business very high, unclear

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 
My husband has a small business as Bodenleger (selfstständig). He started this in the middle of 2018, and his accountant (an accounting firm in Munich) submitted the end of the year taxes for 2018 for him a few months ago.  
The accountant is now charging him a total amount of about 800 euros for this. We find this very, very high. Some of the things included in this 800 euro amount sound very strange, and are explained with a few words, which we do not understand (ex: Ermittlung des Ueberschusses der Betriebseinnahmen ueber die ausgaben aus Gewerbebetrieb, which is 113 euros). My husband wants to sue the accounting firm for this high amount, but I have a feeling that we don't stand a chance, as we are simply not versed in accounting, and this firm can write anything they want and then bill us for it. 
First of all, I am reaching out to any of you who have a bit of knowledge of accounting to try to figure out what these damn things that we have to pay are. 
Also, I want to know if we should sue or not. My husband has some sort of lawyer insurance that technically could pay for it. I hope, no?  
LastlY, I need a new accounter for the future. But I need something that is transparent. Paying for a service that we used makes sense, but we want to know what that is in advance. We now live north of Munich, so I have a feeling that this accounting firm is this expensive because it is located in Munich, and that we would stand a better chance finding something out in the countryside. 
Regards, 
cherry

Panda Munich is a qualified  tax expert, who advertises on TT,  for a fee!  She often gives advice on the forum, but may be that OP needs to put this advice on a   fee for service footing.:)

Unfortunately Steuerbreaters are just plain expensive. I usually pay in the range of 2000€ to get my personal taxes done. Most of your questions can be answered by using the search button here. Panda has weiten some incredibly detailed posts on this, unfortunately it takes time and effort to find. 

I would also check one of the  Steuerbreaters that advertise here, they are usually willing to answer some questions for potential clients.

19 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

Unfortunately Steuerbreaters are just plain expensive.

As @PandaMunichhas previously explained at length, the fees for certain services are set by law.

I usually pay in the range of 2000€ to get my personal taxes done.

Without knowing your personal financial situation it is impossible to know whether or not that is a lot. 

Most of your questions can be answered by using the search button here. Panda has weiten some incredibly detailed posts on this, unfortunately it takes time and effort to find. 

I would suggest that both you and the OP read the very comprehensive explanation on Panda's website on how fees are calculated in Germany.

https://expertise.tax/en/cost/

10 hours ago, Cherryalessia said:

Hi guys, 
My husband has a small business as Bodenleger (selfstständig). He started this in the middle of 2018, and his accountant (an accounting firm in Munich) submitted the end of the year taxes for 2018 for him a few months ago.  
The accountant is now charging him a total amount of about 800 euros for this. We find this very, very high. Some of the things included in this 800 euro amount sound very strange, and are explained with a few words, which we do not understand (ex: Ermittlung des Ueberschusses der Betriebseinnahmen ueber die ausgaben aus Gewerbebetrieb, which is 113 euros). My husband wants to sue the accounting firm for this high amount, but I have a feeling that we don't stand a chance, as we are simply not versed in accounting, and this firm can write anything they want and then bill us for it. 
First of all, I am reaching out to any of you who have a bit of knowledge of accounting to try to figure out what these damn things that we have to pay are. 
Also, I want to know if we should sue or not. My husband has some sort of lawyer insurance that technically could pay for it. I hope, no?  
LastlY, I need a new accounter for the future. But I need something that is transparent. Paying for a service that we used makes sense, but we want to know what that is in advance. We now live north of Munich, so I have a feeling that this accounting firm is this expensive because it is located in Munich, and that we would stand a better chance finding something out in the countryside. 
Regards, 
cherry

Your husband wants to sue someone for their legitimate services? Because 800 euros sounds high to you? And because you don‘t understand German?

And will you sue the legal insurance people because they will use German to answer your emails?

Jeez.🙁

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

10 hours ago, Cherryalessia said:

As stated, this is set by law and our resident tax goddess, PandaMunich will support all what has been written.

I too am self employed and am a business of one.  I am a leather artisan.  In 2016, I had a tax advisor do my taxes and cost roughly 770€.  So the 800 is a very normal rate.  I live in the Oberallgäu...more cows than people.  The cost for a tax advisor here in the land of cows is no different than what it cost for you city folk.  A Leberkässemmel is less expensive though...

The HWK is presently suggesting a 60€ hourly rate for hand workers, but suggests it should be more.  So, for an 8 hour day, if your husband charges that rate, is 480€, plus materials at a (minimum) 10% mark up.  A tax advisor charges more per hour, obviously.  Taxes on the self employed is a rather lengthy matter and would take a full 8 hour day to go through the bookkeeping, payments in and payments out, along with all the extraneous matters of insurances, vehicle use, etc.  If you think on it as 8 hours of work at 100€ per hour, it's very reasonable. 

People get sideways when they see a bill from me, as I'm sure they do with your husband.  No different with a tax advisor.  The constant changes and updates in tax law means a tax advisor has to constantly study and read.  What they charge to do their work is no different than what your husband does and would feel as angered over a disputed bill.

I don't think 800 EUR sounds high. 

Next time you hire anyone to do anything, ask first how much it might cost.  Probably people that get tile laid down get estimates beforehand too.