Scammed on ebay, is there a way to get back at the guy?

28 posts in this topic

I was yesterday scammed for something I bought on eBay.

The user even had a German phone number and used whatsapp and even called me to confirm the details. I then sent the payment over palpay only to release he is a scam and never replied anymore.

My question is if someone has a German phone number, then should they not be registered? the police said they cant do much.

How can they use a German phone number and whatsapp?

Is there anything I can do?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you can tell paypal you got scammed and ask them to reverse it.

 

A few years ago you could still get a German SIM card without registering.  It's possible that he has an old number from that time.

 

You can still file a police report.  Maybe if you do, it turns out that the police could do something after all.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Yes, you can tell paypal you got scammed and ask them to reverse it.

 

Not if it was "send to friend or familly"... You should ask your friend before posting Un-Truths... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, tiocfaidh said:

I then sent the payment over palpay only to release he is a scam and never replied anymore.

How did you realize it is a scam?

 

At this day and age, there are other reasons why somebody doesn't answer your calls the way you want them to...

 

And yes, there are German scammers, with German passport, German license plate, German whatsapp, a .de email address, German haircut, even German accent...

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020, 1:55:49, tiocfaidh said:

I was yesterday scammed for something I bought on eBay.

 

So, how did this evolve?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking about scammers...

You can´t make this stuff up...

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia was "offered" by a Chinese company 10 million face masks for the paltry sum of 14.7 million Euros...
They paid the monies, got the trucks lined up in a Dutch port...
Only to find out they have been scammed!
Looks like the sons and daughters of Teuton fell hook line and sinker for what amounts to an e-bay fraud.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020, 6:35:15, slammer said:

Talking about scammers...

You can´t make this stuff up...

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia was "offered" by a Chinese company 10 million face masks for the paltry sum of 14.7 million Euros...
They paid the monies, got the trucks lined up in a Dutch port...
 

Its worse than that not a Chinese company but a Nigerian company. Looks like even the Nigerians where shocked as they had no way to move the money fast enough.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020, 8:19:06, SpiderPig said:

Not if it was "send to friend or familly"... You should ask your friend before posting Un-Truths... 

 Yeah learned that lesson the hard way, was only 70€ but still never again!!!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020, 8:10:00, LeonG said:

Yes, you can tell paypal you got scammed and ask them to reverse it.

No good anymore, I had a weird situation (or a very elaborate scam) 5 years ago and Paypal refused to reverse it.

Basically he provided a tracking number for a package. The tracking number showed that the package arrived at the post office, but was never followed up!

Post would refuse to find the package because I was not the sender. The sender said he posted it. Paypal accepted the tracking number as valid!

 

Solution: NO MORE EBAY!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

No good anymore, I had a weird situation (or a very elaborate scam) 5 years ago and Paypal refused to reverse it.

Basically he provided a tracking number for a package. The tracking number showed that the package arrived at the post office, but was never followed up!

Post would refuse to find the package because I was not the sender. The sender said he posted it. Paypal accepted the tracking number as valid!

 

Solution: NO MORE EBAY!

Are you sure that is still the current situation, Paypal do claim to be more secure and responsive to such situations, these days. Even in the case you described the sender should have got compensation for a lost package (if it was DHL or similar) or returned undelivered, either way it was the senders responsibility to follow that up. I am amazed that Paypal refused your request for the money back.

None the less I do agree with your solution, Ebay is a home for rouges scammers and thieves.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ebay usually sides with the buyer though.  I recently saw a video on youtube where a small seller in the UK deals with ebay about a return.  He sold a headlight, he had photos of it going in the box, the buyer received it in one piece, thanked him by email, gave him a good review, then had it installed, drove around with it, noticed it's getting water inside, took it out, now it's cracked, sent it back and demanded a refund.  So his point of view was that it wasn't cracked when it went into the box, he has photos, the buyer received it in one piece and even thanked him.  ebay: We don't know it wasn't cracked when you shipped it.  Seller: repeats himself.  ebay: He sent it back so you must give him a refund, that's ebay policy.  Seller: so I can buy something, smash it to bits, return it and I'll get money back.  ebay: ... yes

 

ebay then informed him they've refunded the buyer and closed the case.

 

So after he published the video he actually got a call from someone at ebay who said they would refund him the money he's out.  He made that public in a follow up video but said he hadn't received any money yet.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020, 6:55:49, tiocfaidh said:

I was yesterday scammed for something I bought on eBay.

The user even had a German phone number and used whatsapp and even called me to confirm the details. I then sent the payment over palpay only to release he is a scam and never replied anymore.

 

 

If you lived in Germany even for a short while, had a mobile, and then moved away, you keep your German number till the contract expires or you cancel it. I and both my kids had functioning German mobile numbers long after we had moved to Ireland. Finally the last expired (after cancellation two years previously!) last October. It was a pain to keep paying the contract, and they tried to convince me not to cancel -- "you still get free calls within the EU" etc -- but I insisted.

So, it is possible.

 

Oh -- and my son kept his German whatsapp even after the phone contract was cancelled. He can still use it via internet, though he can't make calls with the number.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

Oh -- and my son kept his German whatsapp even after the phone contract was cancelled. He can still use it via internet, though he can't make calls with the number.

 

When you stop paying, first they block you from making outgoing calls and after a while longer they block it completely and at some point they might issue it to someone else.  When that time comes and whoever gets your sons old number decides to activate whatsapp on it, whatsapp will send an sms code to that persons phone to allow them to log in.  Your son will then get logged out from his whatsapp as another device has logged in and the person who activated it will start to get his messages.  Hence it might be a good idea for him to change his whatsapp number to a number that is under his control.  Just saying.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeonG said:

 

When you stop paying, first they block you from making outgoing calls and after a while longer they block it completely and at some point they might issue it to someone else.  When that time comes and whoever gets your sons old number decides to activate whatsapp on it, whatsapp will send an sms code to that persons phone to allow them to log in.  Your son will then get logged out from his whatsapp as another device has logged in and the person who activated it will start to get his messages.  Hence it might be a good idea for him to change his whatsapp number to a number that is under his control.  Just saying.

 

He actually has a second phone with an Irish sim, so not really a big deal. He uses it (the german one) to talk to his daughter mostly.

I just wanted to explain how it is possible to have a German number from a foreign country.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

 

He actually has a second phone with an Irish sim, so not really a big deal. He uses it (the german one) to talk to his daughter mostly.

I just wanted to explain how it is possible to have a German number from a foreign country.

 

Sure but if he let his contract expire and can no longer make outgoing calls and will soon not be able to receive incoming calls, he doesn't really have an active German number anymore.  If he wants to continue to have a German number, he can get a prepaid.  I have a fonic that I'm not aware of any minimum payment you have to keep it open. Aldi recently started to require you to top up at least 15€ per year or 5€ per 4 months if you prefer.  I keep an Icelandic SIM for my mom to call me, not that she calls much anymore but I have to pay around 8€ every 3 months to keep it open.

 

When you are using whatsapp over the internet, it doesn't matter which country your number is from, if you are on wifi, it's free calling.  It's like talking through messenger or skype.  I whatsapp with people all over the place and it's not costing me.  If he and his daughter are just using the German number to whatsapp, it wouldn't matter for his daughter if she whatsapps with him on his Irish number.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know. I keep asking him why he bothers with two phones and he just shrugs. I guess sooner or later he'll ditch the german one. It's just habit I guess, or having a special phone for her.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Are you sure that is still the current situation, Paypal do claim to be more secure and responsive to such situations, these days. Even in the case you described the sender should have got compensation for a lost package (if it was DHL or similar) or returned undelivered, either way it was the senders responsibility to follow that up. I am amazed that Paypal refused your request for the money back.

None the less I do agree with your solution, Ebay is a home for rouges scammers and thieves.

Problem was I could not get ANY statement from Post telling me that the order was lost, because I was not the sender. The only thing I could see was that the order was delivered to the post, but never left the deposit station.

We went into arbitration but they did not decide in my favor.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Problem was I could not get ANY statement from Post telling me that the order was lost, because I was not the sender. The only thing I could see was that the order was delivered to the post, but never left the deposit station.

We went into arbitration but they did not decide in my favor.

Just curious so another question, was it sent as a DHL Packet, which is insured, or a Päckchen, which is not insured?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020, 10:41:31, keith2011 said:

Just curious so another question, was it sent as a DHL Packet, which is insured, or a Päckchen, which is not insured?

 

Can't recall, but I dug my Outlook and found DHL answer below. Bottom line: without the sender's approval, they would not check anything further. So even if it was insured, the sender would have to start the "investigation". He refused and Ebay/paypal decided on his favor.

Quote

Unfortunately, your shipment with tracking number xxxxxxxxx cannot be found in our system anymore since 13.04.2016.

 

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Please contact the sender to start an investigation.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now