The "UP Side" of Quarantine

136 posts in this topic

I got back into telescopes and astronomy in the last couple of years. Only snag is the light pollution added to regular contrails (I live under a transatlantic flight path) - the latter can really affect 'seeing' (the quality of the air you are observing through).

One slight positive of the pandemic for me has been the improved seeing (the Moon a couple of weeks ago was amazing)  because of the lack of flights.

On 18.4.2020, 09:50:19, pmd said:

I got back into telescopes and astronomy in the last couple of years. Only snag is the light pollution added to regular contrails (I live under a transatlantic flight path) - the latter can really affect 'seeing' (the quality of the air you are observing through).

So, as we're all locked down, is there anyone else interested in astronomy? I have a telescope which I'm thinking of selling as I live on the ground floor of an apartment building with a small balcony and can never seem to be in the right place to see anything interesting. At the moment, Venus is bright in the sky, but is always behind a tree or something. :-(

Tonight is supposedly a good time to see meteorites...  The Lyrids.  Apparently best between 3 & 4 am!

4 hours ago, Acton said:

So, as we're all locked down, is there anyone else interested in astronomy? I have a telescope which I'm thinking of selling as I live on the ground floor of an apartment building with a small balcony and can never seem to be in the right place to see anything interesting. At the moment, Venus is bright in the sky, but is always behind a tree or something. :-(

“ Venus is .. always behind a tree or something..”

What a lovely comment!💋💋💋🙏🏻😂

27 minutes ago, HEM said:

Tonight is supposedly a good time to see meteorites...  The Lyrids.  Apparently best between 3 & 4 am!

I have a headache! Something bashed me on the head! Meteorites in Greece follow different rules!

Anyway, the upside.. maybe more people will start to wash their hands even without corona:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200417-the-hidden-reasons-some-people-dont-wash-their-hands

5 hours ago, Acton said:

Best to observe Venus while the Sun is just about setting and its (Venus') glare is not so overpowering..even then, only thing you can really see is its phases. You can try to use filters but very hard to see its cloud detail.

Mars will be well placed later this year - higher in the sky. Last year, it was super close (comparatively speaking) but a long dust storm ruined any chance of seeing its surface and polar caps.

7 hours ago, pmd said:

Best to observe Venus while the Sun is just about setting and its (Venus') glare is not so overpowering..even then, only thing you can really see is its phases.

Venus has really been spectacular over the recent weeks - aided by the clear nights due to the stable high pressure region over us.

Been able to see it most evenings whilst walking the dog...

Getting practically an extra couple months of parental leave with my son (close to 11 months now) has actually been pretty nice. I am very lucky, watching him grow and all the little developments. Learning to stand, to point, his babbling, seeing his sheer ecstasy when that same neighbourhood cat walks by the window, expanding his palette (he likes Sauerkraut? not sure whether to laugh or cry), when he crawls over to us wanting to play or be picked up, standing at the terrace window pointing outside because he wants to play out there. His "chase me" grins, when he crawls away quickly, stops and looks back, inviting us with hat grin, waiting till we inch closer, then he zips forward again, and when we pretend crawl/chase after him, he laughs and laughs, doing this all over the apartment. 

Even though I often feel tired and stretched thin, and kinda stressed out, yes I feel very lucky, which is a strange feeling in these times... 

I was off on official parental leave October to Feb, had only just returned to work for a couple quiet weeks and before flying home for a few weeks. Had planned to visit in the late summer, but figured it'd be a bit complicated with Krippe starting in August, and my wife wouldn't need to use her holiday days (still on leave), and it's more expensive anyway. Wasn't too excited for Feb/March weather in Canada, but actually even that was OK (got cold, snowy, sunny, rather than cold, rainy, grey). By the time we got back here, corona was more serious. (None of my family had met the little nipper yet, so glad we didn't book for summer!) Flights were just starting to be affected too, I was even told at the airport "sorry, no non-EUs on this flight" until I waved my Niederlassungserlaubnis. The first shut downs had been ordered here, so we came back to a ghost town, and toilet paper was nowhere to be found -- annnnd my office had a few days prior told us all to work from home. The first couple weeks were very quiet since no one really knew what would happen next, so it was sorta "wait for further instructions, work on long-term projects for now"... Can't complain there. Now I have plenty to do, but sharing my "office" with a very active, curious and vocal baby is bad for productivity. I know I'm not pulling my weight among colleagues, though they and my boss have been understanding. I can't concentrate and I'm interrupted often, what should take a few hours can take 2 days, and in the meantime I have to start new tasks too. Even though my wife is on day duty, I need to help now and then, and I just can't turn off my "baby response senses", which tingle a lot. In some ways I don't care, work be damned, I feel I am lucky, but work-life is taking a toll.

For various reasons, I was unemployed for a few months when my son was about that age, so I understand exactly what you mean @alderhill.

That was 20 years ago now, but your post brought back some very happy memories for me, thankyou.

Finally got to do the editing on some short stories that have been laying around in rough shape.

Finished Wolfenstein: The new order and The old blood.

Launched a satellite in Factorio
Set up a daily workout and have been sticking to it fairly well (90%+ completion rate over 3 weeks now)

Not looking forward to the step after Kurzarbeit. But while it lasts . . . . . not so bad.

17 hours ago, alderhill said:

seeing his sheer ecstasy when that same neighbourhood cat walks by the window, expanding his palette (he likes Sauerkraut? not sure whether to laugh or cry), when he crawls over to us wanting to play or be picked up, standing at the terrace window pointing outside because he wants to play out there. His "chase me" grins, when he crawls away quickly, stops and looks back, inviting us with hat grin, waiting till we inch closer, then he zips forward again, and when we pretend crawl/chase after him, he laughs and laughs, doing this all over the apartment.

Sounds like my dog. (Just kidding!He doesn't like sauerkraut).

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

How does it stay in the glass?

With my help, it didn't ;) 

(And it was bloody scrumptious)

3 hours ago, Acton said:

Sounds like my dog. (Just kidding!He doesn't like sauerkraut).

I have likened him a little puppy more than once, lol.