The "UP Side" of Quarantine

140 posts in this topic

I think the shopping carts are also to have a fixed number of people in the shop, so if there aren't any, you aren't allowed in. At Penny, the cashier was yelling at people coming in in groups to take one cart each, and they were getting annoyed. But, why are they even shopping in groups, fuckwits.

Maybe not an upside to quarantine per se, but closely related. I love that there are no planes making noise as I live close to the flightpath.

51 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I think the shopping carts are also to have a fixed number of people in the shop, so if there aren't any, you aren't allowed in. At Penny, the cashier was yelling at people coming in in groups to take one cart each, and they were getting annoyed. But, why are they even shopping in groups, fuckwits.

In the Netherlands 1 customer per 10 m2 is allowed in and it is mandatory to take a cart. No groups. Each time the cart has been used, it is cleaned by staff. One hour per day is reserved for elderly to do their shopping.

Yeah same logic in Germany with either carts, or baskets (as in Rossmann near me, where the security guard was spraying the basket with disinfectant each time he gave it to a new customer.

I'm hoping they will institute an automated disinfecting system for security bins at the airport (mostly with UV light). I've always found it icky to use them, as they have been shown to have very high levels of contamination...

Hong Kong airport has robots cleaning the airport in general: https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/04/05/hong-kong-airport-is-using-virus-killing-robots-to-disinfect-public-areas/

20 hours ago, RedMidge said:

This is the kind of support we need at this time!  keep it going Malt!

Well Red, just to show you the extent of my current 'problem'

5e8c4b9590384_SampleDesksm.jpg.6a0be86eb

Going for walks along the Bay Trail in the morning with no one around and having the dog off leash to run about.

Enough time on my hands to listen to and watch a whole album's worth of Everything Everything one song/vid after another. I love this band! :) Have some Photoshop Handsome 'My teeth dazzel like an igloo wall' to get you smiling. 

I opened the window this morning and thought what the fuck is all that noise!

Turns out it was the birds singing. 

A lot less ambient noise from traffic these days. 

On 3/29/2020, 7:17:12, Wherearewegoingto said:

Well if I remember correctly the potential post Brexit strawberry pickers were the retired  people who just werent aware that they were strawberry pickers. Here we go. Lots of asparagus cutters available. Watch for the next ivitation to a senior citizens outing.

Looks like them Brits are rising to the challenge and it's not just the coffin dodgers, either. 

Coronavirus: Thousands apply for fruit and veg grower jobs  (BBC)

Record numbers of people in the UK are looking for farming jobs, according to figures released by job search engines. Totaljobs said it has seen 50,000 searches for farming jobs in the last week alone. Steve Warnham of Totaljobs said workers “who have been temporarily displaced due to Covid-19 are now looking for roles in other sectors”.

Mark Bridgeman, president of the Country Land and Business Association said the surge was “wonderful news and shows a tremendous ‘can do’ attitude at these difficult times.”

There have been calls for those working in the entertainment, hospitality or tourism industries to fill the vacancies and “pick for Britain”.

I'd like to see some celebrities picking fruit. Gary Lineker picking strawberries, Jeremy Corbyn operating some kind of threshing machine and 80s page 3 girl, Samantha Fox holding some huge melons. 

15 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Corbyn is at risk of a painful death, so he needs to stay home...

That almost sounds like a threat! 

:lol:

Whilst we humans are restricted in our movement. Nature is flourishing outside. Here are some videos of the clear waters in Venice. Even after things return to "normal" we should maybe consider changing the way we live to allow nature to flourish.

Enjoying the quiet here in the village and decided to wait til the neighbor starts his lawn mower to then start mine as well. If we mow at the same time we're done at about the same time and then we have the same quiet time to enjoy again. :) 

I watched the semi-finals and final of the World Cup 1982 in Spain. It was shown on SRF. Great! It was the first World Cup I followed in detail when a was a teenager. Fond memories. Other channels show classics as well since there is no live sports.

The 1982 Spanish WC was a milestone for me. Vierling was nine that summer, and I watched the games with him in real time. Holy cats! I didn't realize what I'd been missing by not watching soccer! The 1st round game between Germany and Austria was an eyeopener into deceit and trickery. Was that the game where the ref was bowled over, knocked out, and lost some teeth? Ah, no, France v. Germany, a semi-final game.

Staying alive for the next WC has kept me around in this millenium - good thing there wasn't one scheduled for this summer. I might have passed away from frustration and chagrin.
The quarantine has been good for various creatures, not just humans. A passerby walking her dog told me the dog had anxiety issues, but since she's been home with it, the dog has gained eleven pounds! It's OK, it's a slender Great Dane. :) 

Every night a new (for me) classic movie. Forget the tv. I don't have Amazon Prime/Netflix. I just find it all for free on You Tube. Last night: Golden Boy (1939) with William Holden as the talented violin playing boxer who just won't quit getting in the NY City boxing rings. Will he ruin his hands? Will he get the dame (Barbara Stanwyck) that's set to marry his manager? And what about his Italian papa, who only wanted his boy to follow his musical talent, his heart and soul? Will he beat the talented Chocolate Drop in the ring at Madison Square Garden or will that fight spell the end of his career?