The "UP Side" of Quarantine

136 posts in this topic

The UPSIDE? Just guessing but maybe burglars are looking for alternative employment?

I wonder if they’ll qualify for Starthilfe?

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Desmancha-prazeres! Spoilsport!😟😫

Takes her 1h just to properly shred the codfish and remove the fishbones! I doubt she will repeat it soon :)

Up side so far has been the great weather we've had! 

New activity: Dozing on the sofa in afternoon sunshine. 

Old activity: Walk in the woods near dusk.

8 hours ago, john g. said:

Another UPSIDE! No mother-in-law visits!

Yessssss. She’s dying to see her new granddaughter, and she will, but I just needed a minute to recover from the birth. Thank goodness my SIL gave birth two weeks after I did, and they all live in the same city, so she got to spend time with the other new granddaughter before they said no groups of more than two. 

At this rate, she may not see our daughter in person until she’s six months or older (she’s already seen her on video calls).

I'm not having a Corona-Urlaub, someone has to keep paying for all that Sozialstaat.  But, on the upside there are no more Rentnerins at the grocery cashier who realize after they took 5 minutes to put their 12 items into a shopping basket that they now need to get their wallet out of a purse and then insist on making exact change with coins that they still can't differentiate from each other.  Either the Renters are having someone else do the shopping, or they have mastered paying with a card.  Also, there is flussig Verkehr pretty much all the time.

15 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

Do you have a good recipe for that (I’ll use white)? I like the way they make it here. It isn’t too thick. Is that what your recipe is like? 

Spargel Zeit is not even going to really be here this year. I always treat myself to a nice Spargel meal out every spring. It’s expensive, but I do it anyway. Won’t be doing that this year. I then do it on my own usually. 

Something like this, but I don't use white wine:

https://www.gutekueche.at/spargelcremesuppe-rezept-3420

https://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/1148331221133495/Spargelcremesuppe.html

13 hours ago, franklan said:

It's the Portuguese equivalent to Stockton's Parmo, just posher...

Parmo seems to be the Yorkshire toff´s version of Chips ´n Gravy.

15 hours ago, slammer said:

Francesinha? You will gain 10 lb just from reading the wikipedia page.

There is a half decent Francesinha at "O Castelo", near Ostbahnhof. Meat part is excellent, sauce is a bit too much tomato for me, but still good.

1 hour ago, DoubleDTown said:

I'm not having a Corona-Urlaub, someone has to keep paying for all that Sozialstaat.  But, on the upside there are no more Rentnerins at the grocery cashier who realize after they took 5 minutes to put their 12 items into a shopping basket that they now need to get their wallet out of a purse and then insist on making exact change with coins that they still can't differentiate from each other.  Either the Renters are having someone else do the shopping, or they have mastered paying with a card.  Also, there is flussig Verkehr pretty much all the time.

Me,me,me,me that`s what`s important eh.

Perhaps think why the rentners aren`t shopping for themselves ?

Nah fuck it let em all die as long as you don`t have to queue behind them in Lidl.

Oh and my Corona-Urlaub involved me taking some of my flextime and now working again.Massive Urlaub those 4 days were.

51 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

There is a half decent Francesinha at "O Castelo", near Ostbahnhof. Meat part is excellent, sauce is a bit too much tomato for me, but still good.

Oooo! Got to try that when we are let out again. Speaking of which; what is a good Mexican in Münich?

15 hours ago, franklan said:

I find gong in to the cellar to get stuff done to be much more fun now.
At least more fun that the stuff that needs dong in the rest of the house.

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

Me,me,me,me that`s what`s important eh.

Perhaps think why the rentners aren`t shopping for themselves ?

Nah f[] it let em all die as long as you don`t have to queue behind them in Lidl.

take it easy.  i suppose it's all in the interpretation.  the upside is the upside whatever the reason. 

and further in my defense: there ain't no reason those Rentners, dare I say all shoppers (but mostly women and especially older women), can't have their money ready, or at least more accessible, before they get closer to the cashier. It's not like they haven't been shopping before, they know darned well their wait in the cashier line is going to end with them handing over some money.

it's been my recent experience that several Rentners still shopping for themselves have suddenly learned how to pay with Karte, which at least eliminates the exact change bit.  

Other upsides of "quarantine", less errands.

4 hours ago, Tap said:

I slept in my guest room this weekend, just to have the feeling I'd been somewhere different.  Now I know what it's like for my visitors, and I liked it!

I turned my couch/bed/softplace around 180°

Still going to work but...lots less to do on the job and mainly a lot less stress and certainly less industrial noise and all for the same pay.