The "UP Side" of Quarantine

132 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

At home, wife cooking, no more German shit food.

If she‘s making bacalhao dourado, I will break the quarantine  rules and fax myself over to lick the plate dry! And then bugger off😂!

One of Portugal‘s gifts to the world! There are many!

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

If she‘s making bacalhao dourado, I will break the quarantine  rules and fax myself over to lick the plate dry! And then bugger off😂!

Like taking the Francesinha challenge?

Dunno what that is, slammer😂

But the blue tiles, the architecture. Beautiful. Oh, and caldo verde!😇 Divine! It is a green soup with kale. Wonderful!

The UPSIDE? The remains of idealism in me hope the solidarity shown towards health workers, emergency services and all those who plug away to keep society moving in adversity will make us reconsider what we are here for and to fight the common enemy- poverty, illness, primitive nationalism, greed , ignorance, damage to the environment, cruelty to people and animals etc - and to stop killing each other in wars.

An end to ego and more power to the heart.

I am trying to work on becoming wise but keep getting put off by own weaknesses!😀

47 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

A good taste of what retirement (T-2 years 10 months) both from a budget point of view (no freelance income) and from a "what do you do all day" point of view. We quickly got into a routine, up around 8 each day, make coffee, let dog out, check email twitter FB etc. Watch a bit of the news by the time we get around to breakie it's 11am, long walk and then home. 

i totally get why retirees say they wonder how they ever had time for a job!

Forgot to add had holidays planned but obviously they got cancelled so had 2 weeks forced balconian!

Have more time now to watch comedy on Utube and to write stuff on Toytown!, I don't know how many people would agree with me, but I think Jimmy Carr is the funniest comedian I have ever seen. Born In ireland, he seems to identify as English. Funny eh Oscar?

His improvisation, in live performances, is astounding. I heard him in a live show say the following: (Not for the kiddies please!)

Somebody shouts " Do you fancy Carol Vorderman?"

Jimmy says " I would crawl on my hands and knees over broken glass for 2 hours just to get the chance to suck the cock of the last man who'd screwed her".

Can't beat that.

51 minutes ago, john g. said:

We did ate Bacalhau dourado in the past week! Sorry, plates were licked already!

Advantage of living in the south: I can cook Spargelcremesuppe from the fresh asparagus, even though only the green one.

First time after broken leg in 2017 I started jogging every day. 5.5 km, aiming at 10 at least.

8 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Advantage of living in the south: I can cook Spargelcremesuppe from the fresh asparagus, even though only the green one.

First time after broken leg in 2017 I started jogging every day. 5.5 km, aiming at 10 at least.

Do you have a good recipe for that (I’ll use white)? I like the way they make it here. It isn’t too thick. Is that what your recipe is like? 

Spargel Zeit is not even going to really be here this year. I always treat myself to a nice Spargel meal out every spring. It’s expensive, but I do it anyway. Won’t be doing that this year. I then do it on my own usually. 

I heard that there will be problems getting the spargel "pickers" (cutters) into the country this year. I don't think that many Germans do that work.

Well if I remember correctly the potential post Brexit strawberry pickers were the retired  people who just werent aware that they were strawberry pickers. Here we go. Lots of asparagus cutters available. Watch for the next ivitation to a senior citizens outing.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

But the blue tiles, the architecture. Beautiful. Oh, and caldo verde!😇 Divine! It is a green soup with kale. Wonderful!

Francesinha? You will gain 10 lb just from reading the wikipedia page.

37 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Thats a downside...  Wrong thread...

No- an upside- love green asparagus, hate white!!;) Green ones easy to pick!

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

Our local market claimed to have fresh German (& Greek) Spargel (white) yesterday.

15 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

No- an upside- love green asparagus, hate white!!;) Green ones easy to pick!

Glad this corona stuff wasn’t around when my pregnant wife and I were in London in 1988. She used to send me out on many an evening to sort out her craving for green asparagus. 
That was tough - not many places were open evenings back then!🙏🏻

2 hours ago, john g. said:

It's the Portuguese equivalent to Stockton's Parmo, just posher...