The "UP Side" of Quarantine

136 posts in this topic

As Quarantine hits almost all of the world, how have you taken advantage of it?

I have spent most days doing those hundreds of jobs that I have been putting off, Sweeping and clearing out a load of junk from a large "Hof"... Completed the electrical pre-wire/ First fix in the kitchen.... Cleared out the hay loft and found a floor hiding under all the crap!  Fixed the central heating system that hasnt function correctly since last spring....

Mowed the grass twice.... 

What have you done thats been worthwhile?

I've been keeping up with people I know in the U.S. better. Two our long phone conversations, etc. There isn't a whole lot of stuff to do in our apartment, though. 

Glad you are enjoying all of your puttering about, Spidey! Are you able to work at all?

De-mossed both (small) lawns - but still impressive how much the bags of moss weigh.

Finally got around to treating (Sikkens Cetol Fliter 7 Plus) the frames (mahogany) of the two large windows to rear garden - thats the West side & gets all the weather & its been too long since the previous treatment & was looking pretty bad.  Much better now.

The other windows in the house have to wait until its warm enough to open windows for several hours whilst stuff dries.

Oh totally. We get barely any time all together at home normally. Yesterday we cut and laid a path along between us and next door's new-ish wall. Brilliant. Many plans. Our lives will be transformed.

De-mossed? I love moss. It's green and soft and doesn't need mowed. It's also a great habitat for little beasties.

No school, no university, so the two who would be going there are dragging me for a jog - every morning.

Been sunny so far...

Then insist on a stretch exercise session afterwards.

After 10 days of this I must grudgingly admit, I feel better 😌

BTW We're allowed out for sport in Schleswig-Holstein

1 minute ago, HH_Sailor said:

We're allowed out for sport in Schleswig-Holstein

But not to fly  :(

I feel worse because the fitness center has been closed 2 weeks now due to this...

My wife and I have had lunch together for the last three weeks.

I've gotten tons of work editing and writing blurbs about medical studies.

With my wife home all day, I feel compelled to be more organized and productive.

I baked vanilla cupcakes today and made nutella butter cream frosting for them.

My wife normally has a standing desk at work, so, to keep her from being too sedentary, I lead us in yoga or other exercise every evening.

I only miss meeting with other dog owners 3x per day and letting little kids pet my dog, who, they assure me, is part gorilla.

I have cleaned out a lot of stuff that has been on my list. I have so many papers (freelance English teacher) and I let them pile up for an embarrassing amount of time. I have a desk that I never used because I always did my work on the dining table. That desk is now cleaned off and ready for my online teaching this semester (that’s daunting in itself, but at least they didn’t completely shut down the universities). 

I have learned to be really resourceful with food prep and going through my pantry to use stuff up. 

I also haven’t been drinking as much, so I’m really happy about that. 

Just general things around the house. 

I have also been a homebody to begin with and I always felt bad about it and lazy. Now it seems normal, lol. 

Increased use of FaceTime with friends and family. Some skyping or just phone calls. 

Decluttering a la Marie Kondo.

Cooking batches of chilli , Geschnetzeltes, Klopse, and soup for the freezer. 

Catching up on books- old and new. Just finished, "Where the Crawdads sing"- intriguing.

Next is Hilary Mantel's third book in Thomas Cromwell Trilogy.

Starting spring cleaning. And walking for fresh air.

Working this weekend. Got a book to proofread, deadline is Monday, and only 70% finished. 
After that, a nice pause!
I'm very fortunate in that little changes for me in quarantine. The worst is not seeing my daughter and granddaughter.

24 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

My wife and I have had lunch together for the last three weeks.

I've gotten tons of work editing and writing blurbs about medical studies.

With my wife home all day, I feel compelled to be more organized and productive.

I baked vanilla cupcakes today and made nutella butter cream frosting for them.

My wife normally has a standing desk at work, so, to keep her from being too sedentary, I lead us in yoga or other exercise every evening.

I only miss meeting with other dog owners 3x per day and letting little kids pet my dog, who, they assure me, is part gorilla.

Of course now we need a pic of the dogrilla. My wife is dying to see it.

7 minutes ago, sobyrne said:

Of course now we need a pic of the dogrilla. My wife is dying to see it.

Brand new Cute Baby Gorilla! - YouTube

dogrilla.jpg

2 hours ago, HEM said:

I feel worse because the fitness center has been closed 2 weeks now due to this...

I miss the fitness center too. but I ordered weights, mats, and bands for home 3 weeks ago.  I hired my previous US trainer, a self employed mom with two toddlers, for a personalized online program that she's had up and running for years.  Win-Win for us.

I took Serif´s offer of 50% reduction on Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, put some Juno Reactor on the loudspeaker and I am getting my graphic on.

My garden is looking tip-top. Never had the vege patch ready to go this early.

Still putting off all the little (and bigger) painting jobs though - I'm guessing there will be time for that.

Surprisingly, our teenage kids have willingly joined us for cards in the evenings - who would have thought.

Still somehow feel that I'm not using my time as productively as I should. Although I did manage to work out how to adjust the gears on my mountain bike. Thanks YouTube!

A good taste of what retirement (T-2 years 10 months) both from a budget point of view (no freelance income) and from a "what do you do all day" point of view. We quickly got into a routine, up around 8 each day, make coffee, let dog out, check email twitter FB etc. Watch a bit of the news by the time we get around to breakie it's 11am, long walk and then home. 

i totally get why retirees say they wonder how they ever had time for a job!