Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Property damage charges and student residence permit extension

3 posts in this topic

Good day to all you lovely people of this forum. I hope you can give me a piece of advice on my situation.

So, I am a student enrolled in a german university, and, long story short, I messed up big time. While visiting my friend I had way too much to drink and went into a drunken rage. At some point I stormed outside and caused a ruckus there, which prompted a scared neighbor to call police on me. Thankfully, by the time they arrived, I calmed down, so there was no arrest and a friend of mine drove me home. One week passes, and I get a questioning letter stating that im charged with Sachbeschädigung auf Straßen Wegen und Plätzen. I also want to note that, according to my friend, I did not do any significant damage outside of the house. From what I understand, this most likely entails a fine and a misdemeanor record, so here are my questions:

- Will this incident prevent me from extending my student residence permit? I will have to apply for it in about a year from now.

- Will it impact my chances of getting a working permit after I finish my studies?

Thanks in advance to everyone who answers here.

"While visiting my friend I had way too much to drink and went into a drunken rage" sorry but being drunk doesn't excuse you from the full force of the law . Probably both points will be saved on your record

3 hours ago, TraceKira said:

being drunk doesn't excuse you from the full force of the law .

Actually, it does. Under German law, intoxication is strafmildernd for all offenses except DUI.

3 hours ago, TraceKira said:

Probably both points will be saved on your record

Your concern is palpable, but nothing will go on his record if he isn't sentenced to 90 or more Tagessätze. A little drunken damage to public property is nowhere near enough for that.