Construction company damaged my flat

14 posts in this topic

There are construction going on outside my building. A company is changing the windows of the entire building. I checked my bedroom yesterday and I found that they made some damages in the outside wall of the room.

I took some pictures and I sent an email to the company I'm renting the flat from. They did not respond yet, but is this everything I need to do? I don't want to be held reliable for this when I checkout in the future.

PSX_20200323_204032.jpg

you really should send it by post to be safe.  Send it using einschreiben einwurf, keep a copy of the letter and print a delivery confirmation from the PO (einshreiben einwurf comes with a tracking number).  

request a repair, too, and ask them how to proceed.  Give them a deadline for response - two weeks is normal if it's not an emergency afaik. 

note this is only in the event that the "company" is either the landlord or an official immobilienverwaltung named by the actual owner.  

to be 100% safe join a mieterverein and get their assistance.

Often German builders are incredibly clumsy, they fix one thing and break 3 other things in the process. What happened ? Looks like they drilled right through the wall when securing the scaffolding, the radiator will have to be removed to repair the plaster, im sure the rental company will soon be in touch, from the photo it's obvious the damage was not caused by you. When the plumber comes I hope they don't create a Wasserschaden.

That dübel on the floor is what they had their scaffolding attached to most likely. Luckily, nobody got killed out there.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

That dübel on the floor is what they had their scaffolding attached to most likely. Luckily, nobody got killed out there.

but that looks like a normal sized dübel for putting up a shelf or similar - relative to the size of the hole in the wall...it doesn't quite compute (for me...just looking at the photo)

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The Duebel was supposed to hold the scaffolding, yes.. I assume they drilled too deep, then shoved the Duebel in, but pushed it right through when they wanted to screw something in. 

A used Duebel will never show a clear and absolute parallel gash like the one lying on the floor. 

7 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

but that looks like a normal sized dübel for putting up a shelf or similar - relative to the size of the hole in the wall...it doesn't quite compute (for me...just looking at the photo)

I have the same question as you do. I went yesterday to my room and that's what found. But yes, it's from installing the scaffolding. I have a bigger picture that I will compress and post it here.

1 minute ago, franklan said:

A used Duebel will never show a clear and absolute parallel gash like the one lying on the floor. 

yeah!  it looks brand spanking new!

17 minutes ago, Wasteland said:

Often German builders are incredibly clumsy, they fix one thing and break 3 other things in the process. What happened ? Looks like they drilled right through the wall when securing the scaffolding, the radiator will have to be removed to repair the plaster, im sure the rental company will soon be in touch, from the photo it's obvious the damage was not caused by you. When the plumber comes I hope they don't create a Wasserschaden.

Yes, it's from installing the scaffolding.

PSX_20200323_213154.jpg

That second photo makes it very clear that the damage is from the scaffolding. If there are any other places its attached to your apartment its worth checking those areas very carefully as well just in case there is any more damage thats currently unseen

Since with a scaffold the risk of burglery is increased, you have to inform your "Hausratsversicherung" (if you have one).

Anyway, always keep your windows closed and lock the handles if possible.

Remeber, it only needs a screwdriver to open the windows.

12 minutes ago, franklan said:

The Duebel was supposed to hold the scaffolding, yes.. I assume they drilled too deep, then shoved the Duebel in, but pushed it right through when they wanted to screw something in. 

This. And your walls are shit.

We never informed our insurance when our building was scaffolded - about 3 time since we've been here but of course we kept windows and doors locked. We figured the building owner/scaffolding company would be libel for any damage/burglaring.