Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The first thread I remember reading on Toytown Germany...

27 posts in this topic

I have been a member of Toytown Germany since 2008.  I remember joining when my husband was still in the Army and was working in Stuttgart.  In those days, Facebook was still in its infancy and there weren't the huge numbers of social media groups that exist today.  I don't remember how I found this site, but I remember reading it very frequently back in the day.  I loved how I found out stuff about German culture from fellow English speakers.  I especially enjoyed that people were from all walks of life, rather than just the military.  Truth be told, even though I was an Air Force brat, I don't really fit in with most of the military crowd.

My husband had to leave Germany a year early because he was asked for by name at an assignment in Georgia.  It really sucked, because we knew we'd have to move before two years.  The place where he was going was to be closed, and the next base would be Fort Bragg in North Carolina.  Sure enough, we were only in Georgia for sixteen months, although that was where I found my awesome beagle, Zane, and my husband learned how to home brew beer.  Every once in awhile, I'd check TT to see if anything interesting was being discussed.

For five years, I pined to come back to Germany.  Finally, when my husband retired in 2014, we got our chance to move back to Stuttgart.  No one in Texas was hiring-- that was where we'd spent our last year in the Army.  I was happy to leave Texas, since it felt more foreign to me than Germany ever had.  The summer of 2014 was brutal, but the one bright spot was my husband getting a job offer on my birthday, just ten days before he retired.  Then, nine days after my husband's retirement, my dad died and we spent all of July planning for an overseas move with very little assistance from the company that hired my husband.

I came back to TT, but mostly lurked, since Facebook had become so popular.  Stuttgart has tons of Facebook groups as well as the accompanying drama.  I kind of missed the quiet days of our first stint in Germany, when I would read fascinating threads like this one...

Seriously.  This thread taught me something new and even helped me bond with our first German neighbors.  When we moved into our first German house, our landlord had a sign in his bathroom.  It read "Nicht im stehen."  I asked him what that meant, and he said "Not while standing."  I was pretty puzzled about that until I found the TT thread about men standing while they pee.  Later, after reading the thread, I asked our neighbor if it was true.  She said it was, except her two year old son wouldn't sit because he was afraid of falling into the toilet.

Later, when I started reviewing books on my blog, I found a book entitled German Men Sit Down To Pee, and I felt pretty awesome because I knew why they sit while they pee, all thanks to the frank discussion about this habit on TT.  It also spawned many entertaining essays and blog posts by yours truly.

So, my hat's off to you veteran TTers who make this site such an interesting and helpful place.  I'm glad to be back and hope to stick around awhile.

nicht.jpg

German men 2.jpg

My son's Tagemutter (Childminder) when he was a toddler taught him and her own son to sit to pee. To this day my son sits to pee. It's a great habit.

41 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

My son's Tagemutter (Childminder) when he was a toddler taught him and her own son to sit to pee. To this day my son sits to pee. It's a great habit.

My husband does it at night, which is a very considerate habit.

I don't remember my first thread (2009), but I do remember it had the word 'yonks' in it, my introduction to the word. There were several popular posts about yonks that I found enjoyable.

6 minutes ago, katheliz said:

I don't remember my first thread (2009), but I do remember it had the word 'yonks' in it, my introduction to the word. There were several popular posts about yonks and I found enjoyable.

I am not familiar with yonks.

I do remember reading posts here by a Scottish artist who lived in Germany.  I loved his watercolors and thought maybe I would get a chance to visit his studio before we had to move.  We never did, because we had to leave a year early.  I followed him on Facebook for awhile, but then he started featuring a lot of art that centered around BDSM.  I have nothing at all against that, but it wasn’t something I wanted to see on my social media.  So I quit following him.

3 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

I am not familiar with yonks.

It just means a very, very long time.

6 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

I do remember reading posts here by a Scottish artist who lived in Germany

Aha! I think that was, oh rats, forgotten his name...derekbeggs I think. When poppet died, he auctioned off a watercolour and some prints, and I have it upstairs. I think his wife left him and the kid, and he did turn to BDSM as I recall. 

I haven't thought about that for yonks and yonks (just to give you some context!)

Yes, it was Derek Beggs.  I remember being enchanted by his watercolors.  Then one day, I was on Facebook, and I noticed he started posting drawings of women in bondage.  It was a shock to see such a change in subject matter.  I kept up with him for awhile longer, but it eventually got too weird.

yes... Derek is a strange but honest guy...

He still has a picture of mine that I need to coolect one day... 

I think he’s a wonderful artist, and I have nothing against BDSM.  I just wasn’t expecting to see it on Facebook when he had been posting beautiful landscapes and water themed art.  The switch was disorienting!  :D

If you have nothing against BDSM why did you stop following him?   Did you think he would just serenade you with a 2B pecil or a sharp piece of charcoal?

All artists are "full of surprises"... 

Have you looked into the darker side of "Art"?....  My little pony fantasy etc?      It could be disturbing...   

Each to their own... 

@sarabyrd commissioned @Derekbeggs to pencil-sketch a photo of my five children when we celebrated Fuenfling's wedding. I love it.

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

If you have nothing against BDSM why did you stop following him?   Did you think he would just serenade you with a 2B pecil or a sharp piece of charcoal?

Have you looked into the darker side of "Art"?...  My little pony fantasy etc?      It could be disturbing...   

Each to their own... 

You always turn a touch nasty. I'd recommend a psychiatrist to be honest. I'm being serious, you have some serious issues. I wish you all the best and don't forget we only have 1 life so let's enjoy it eh.

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Have you looked into the darker side of "Art"?...  My little pony fantasy etc?      It could be disturbing...   

Each to their own... 

I stopped following him because the BDSM themed stuff became all he was doing.  And although some of the drawings were intriguing, I liked his watercolors much more.  I also didn’t want to see BDSM themed stuff on Facebook as I was interacting with friends and relatives.

I think you might be surprised by what I find interesting.  I would recommend not making assumptions about people you don’t know.  If you did get to know me, you might find I am “full of surprises”, too.

10 hours ago, kiplette said:

When poppet died, he auctioned off a watercolour and some prints, and I have it upstairs.

I have one of those prints, it's really lovely and I treasure it, but it's also a sad reminder of that time, which is often the way with art.